Ubuntu Bionic for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
roobarb!

Re: Ubuntu Bionic for OpenFrame

Post by roobarb! »

sanjap wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:00 am
Roobarb, is it possible to boot the joggler directly to kodi without the need to login screen and entering the command "kodi" . I saw some examples online but none seems to work with XORG. Will appreciate your help
Yeah, create a file called '.xinitrc' in the home directory of the user you wish to boot into automatically. Anything you enter in that file will be run, so potentially you just need the command 'kodi' in there. Then type:

Code: Select all

of-autologin <user>
Reboot.

Fingers crossed that should be the extent of it.
birdslikewires.net - home of the Reflash System, SqueezePlay (OS) and various tools for the Joggler!

castalla

Post by castalla »

Okay - maybe I'm not understanding this!

1. Boots
2. Can I ssh login?
3. Is wifi enabled on first boot? Where can I set the boot wifi settings (eg. interfaces)?

roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

castalla wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:24 am
1. Boots
Good!
castalla wrote:
2. Can I ssh login?
Yes, by default with root user enabled. Password is 'joggler'.
castalla wrote:
3. Is wifi enabled on first boot? Where can I set the boot wifi settings (eg. interfaces)?
It is, edit the file 'network.yaml' on the boot partition (the one you can see from Windows after you've written the image).

By default the content of network.yaml is:

network:
  version: 2
  renderer: networkd
  ethernets:
    eth0:
      dhcp4: true
  wifis:
    wlan0:
      dhcp4: true
      access-points:
        YOURWIFINAME:
          password: YOURWIFIPASSWORD

You just need to change 'YOURWIFINAME' and 'YOURWIFIPASSWORD'. Just keep an eye on 'YOURWIFINAME' - it needs to end with the ':'.
birdslikewires.net - home of the Reflash System, SqueezePlay (OS) and various tools for the Joggler!

castalla

Post by castalla »

Thanks!

Is there anyway to blank the joggler screen?

castalla

Post by castalla »

I had plans to use this as a headless server for LMS. LMS installs fine. BUT when I reboot LMS is unreachable (even 'tho top shows it as running). Trying to purge LMS gives a lot of error messages about locked and read only files.

A bit of a shame.

sanjap

Post by sanjap »

roobarb! wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:05 pm
Don't panic folks, links will be down to images for a couple of hours while a new version compiles. I left HPET (High Precision Event Timer) support enabled, which isn't required on the OpenFrames and started to cause issues on the new kernel 5.4, so I decided to remove it from all kernels and let the system build fresh images.
This seem to have broken the backlight driver on the OF2. All new images boot to a very low dim level.

roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

sanjap wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:04 pm
This seem to have broken the backlight driver on the OF2. All new images boot to a very low dim level.
I'll check it out when I'm next near an OF2.

castalla

Post by castalla »

roobarb! wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:08 am
sanjap wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:00 am
Roobarb, is it possible to boot the joggler directly to kodi without the need to login screen and entering the command "kodi" . I saw some examples online but none seems to work with XORG. Will appreciate your help
Yeah, create a file called '.xinitrc' in the home directory of the user you wish to boot into automatically. Anything you enter in that file will be run, so potentially you just need the command 'kodi' in there. Then type:

of-autologin <user>
Reboot.

Fingers crossed that should be the extent of it.
I can't get this to work. I get the autologin as root to the terminal but .xinitrc doesn't run ..

castalla

Post by castalla »

For Openframe 2 wifi (which I can;t get to work at all) would the mediatek modules be useful?

Issues

If you're using an OpenFrame 2 the wireless connection does work... sort of. Performance is absolutely terrible and I've not been able to do anything about it. Maybe it's my OF2 which is at fault, but feedback would be appreciated. We're using the brcmsmac driver; the b43 was worse and broke Bluetooth for me. The broadcom-wl driver might do the trick, but there are licensing issues, so I can't distribute it. Good luck!

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1096799 ... untu-18-04