SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
roobarb!

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by roobarb! »

simonaldrich wrote:Hi hawsey, thanks for the warm welcome :)

I have been using roobarb!'s Linux (dd) instructions for writing the image to the various USB devices I've tried so far.

After writing the joggler_reflash_109.img file to the device I'm then able to successfully mount both the first FAT16 partition (rfl-boot) and the second ext2 partition (rfl-root) off the USB device. This makes me think that the image write has been successful.

I'm going to try writing the image to a portable USB harddrive this evening to see if that helps at all.

Think I'm going to need all the luck I can get! :)
If you're seeing the yellow 'O2 Joggler Reflash Tool' message, then it's definitely found the stick and is loading the initial ramdisk. However, if it's then failing, it's usually because it can't then find the root partition. Does it move on at all from the yellow writing, or just stick there?

Both the reflash tool and sqpOS search for the root partition by label, so make sure the label 'rfl-root' isn't being messed with and let us know how it goes with the USB hard drive. If you still have no luck, you could try changing the text 'root=LABEL=rfl-root' in the grub.cfg file on the rfl-boot partition to 'root=/dev/sda2'. This really shouldn't be necessary, though. :?
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
simonaldrich

Post by simonaldrich »

Hi roobarb!, thanks for jumping-in, everyone here has been so friendly & helpful!

I tried the USB harddrive tonight and, unfortunately, still no dice.

I've modified the grub.cfg so it looks like this:

Code: Select all

set timeout=0
menuentry "O2 Joggler Reflashing Tool v1.09" {
    linux /vmlinuz-3.2.21jog1 root=/dev/sda2 ro
    initrd /initrd.img-3.2.21jog1
    ls
}
Which results in a boot console which looks like this. I also enabled debug=all on grub which gave me a lot of console output but ended in a bunch of 'free'ing of memory.

From this I think it's possible to conclude that grub is doing its job and finding all the disks (hd0) being the USB device and (hd1) being the internal memory. So I suspect something is going wrong when it attempts to boot the kernel.

I even went so far as to rebuilt the initrd image to put an "echo Testing 1,2,3" right at the top of /init (below the #! anyway) and put that on the disk. Grub found it ok (different initrd hex size on the grub console) but it made no difference at all to the outcome, this makes me think that the boot process might not even be getting that far.

Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure where to go from here in trying to diagnose the fault, so any suggestions would be most welcome.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

How bizarre. The Joggler hasn't been modified in any way, has it? Hmm, perhaps not - the layout for hd0 appears to be correct for the USB stick and hd1 would be right for the internal MMC.

Something must be different though, as I've never seen this issue before, except when the root device has been specified incorrectly in the grub.cfg. This is a long shot, but try /dev/sdb2 instead of /dev/sda2... I have a Joggler that always has a /dev/sda entry, even when there's no other device plugged in, so perhaps worth a quick go?
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
papaiannis

Post by papaiannis »

I installed SqueezePlay OS in the internal flash memory. Everything went right. LMS and SqueezePlay work like a charm. Kudos to Roobarb for the GREAT job.

I did the spdif mod described in the wiki (http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Internal_SPDIF_output), and now my Joggler is my favourite digital audio source.
I added the following line to /etc/rc.local to unmute the spdif output:
amixer -q -c 0 sset 'IEC958',0 unmute

I also substituted the original /etc/asound.conf file with a new one containing the following lines:
pcm.!default {
type hw
card 0
device 1
}

Having done so, I cannot no longer switch between the internal loudspeaker and the spdif output using the command in the audio settings menu.
I guess this is because the asound.conf is quite different from the original one.

How can I modify the original asound.conf to have spdif working and a switchable (loudspeaker/spdif) output?
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

I've done exactly the same and couldn't manage to work that out. In the end I simply have the 2 different asound.conf files saved as asound.digital and asound.internal and simply copy them over the top of my asound.conf.

TBH I hardly ever (never so far) have a need for the joggler I've modded to not be connected to my stereo via the digital so I've not needed to do this. I will get round to modding another Joggler I normally use with the internal speakers so do please let me know if you figure it out.

P.S. the line you added to unmute the digital output. I accompliced the same using the command alsamixer and then using the basic GUI to unmute. Survives a reboot with no problem
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

I was drafting a reply to this, but got waylaid. It's just the 'device' bit you'd need to change or add. It's 'device 0' for the internal speakers / 3.5mm jack output, or 'device 1' for the optical output.

I could add this in to a future version.
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Well for me thats so easy to do its not a problem, but yes a button to do it for me would be lovely but I suspect not a feature a lot of people would want with the ease of plugging in a USB soundcard like to Behringer.
mikeywilliams

Post by mikeywilliams »

I am trying to use a joggler with squeezeplayos flashed, as a standalone LMS and player with music on a usb stick plugged in.
If the joggler is in a position in the house with internet access it works fine. And that enabled me to set up the LMS to find the usb stick and set up the library.

However if I move it to where there is no internet access it seems to be unable to find the library even though the library is on, or refers to, the plugged in usb stick. I dont see why it needs the internet at all.

Am I missing something in the way the system operates?
Is there a way of making it ignore the absence of internet?

I scanned this forum and only found one relevant post which talked about grub, about which I am woefully ignorant.

Thanks by the way for s terrific system which, when it works is superb.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

mikeywilliams wrote:Is there a way of making it ignore the absence of internet?
It's probably using the IP address given by your router to find LMS. Out of range of the router it gets no IP, so fails to connect.

I'd set a static IP in /etc/network/interfaces for eth0. A quick google will show you the sort of settings you need - just make sure it matches what your router hands out, so when you reconnect to the network you don't need to alter anything.
mikeywilliams

Post by mikeywilliams »

roobarb! wrote:
mikeywilliams wrote:Is there a way of making it ignore the absence of internet?
It's probably using the IP address given by your router to find LMS. Out of range of the router it gets no IP, so fails to connect.

I'd set a static IP in /etc/network/interfaces for eth0. A quick google will show you the sort of settings you need - just make sure it matches what your router hands out, so when you reconnect to the network you don't need to alter anything.

Thanks for the advice.
I tried winscp to access the joggler but when I tried to view the /etc/network/interfaces file it refused with permission denied.
Is that because it is in use somehow?
As a linux simpleton I'm a bit out of my depth but would like to persevere so any advice on how to get permission gratefully received.
Also how do I "make sure it matches what your router hands out"?
TIA
mikeywilliams

Post by mikeywilliams »

phew - so I solved the permissions problem - so now to figure out what to do - must do more googling as suggested.
papaiannis

Post by papaiannis »

When I use Android/Squeeze Commander and Android/Orange Squeeze to control Joggler/SqueezePlay, apps (such as Deezer, Mediafly, podacst, ...) are not listed.
No problem when remote controlling Squeezebox Boom, Linux/Softsqueeze and even Windows7/SqueezePlay.
It seems a problem of the version installed on the joggler.
Any idea about diagnosis and solving?
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

mikeywilliams wrote:phew - so I solved the permissions problem - so now to figure out what to do - must do more googling as suggested.
What did you do to solve the permissions problem?
mikeywilliams

Post by mikeywilliams »

dwl99 wrote:
mikeywilliams wrote:phew - so I solved the permissions problem - so now to figure out what to do - must do more googling as suggested.
What did you do to solve the permissions problem?

In winSCP there is an option in SCP/Shell called Shell.
It is set to default but there is a pull down menu and i selected sudo su -
That worked.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I cannot connect to Squeezeplay OS via SSH or telnet using Putty The IP address I am using is correct. Any ideas?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

dwl99 wrote:I cannot connect to Squeezeplay OS via SSH or telnet using Putty The IP address I am using is correct. Any ideas?
Silly question first - you did enable it under Settings > Advanced > Additional Features? ;)

There's no telnet on sqpOS, so you're definitely choosing SSH on port 22?
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Thanks - I knew it was something obvious I had missed!
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Doh! I just discovered that you can install Logitech Media Server on this OS - this is fantastic! Can anyone point me to an idiot's guide to mounting Windows shared drives & folders so that LMS on this OS can see them? Samba shares have always baffled me.
papaiannis

Post by papaiannis »

Hi Roobarb, what kernel version does SqueezePlay OS use? Does SqueezePlay OS support USB audio class 2?
Best.
Alekos
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

papaiannis wrote:Hi Roobarb, what kernel version does SqueezePlay OS use?/quote]
It's 3.2.something. Think it says in the changelog, I can't remember right now.
papaiannis wrote:Does SqueezePlay OS support USB audio class 2?
Best.
Alekos
If it enumerates and alsa can make use of it, you should be good to go.