SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Locked
User avatar
JimbobVFR400
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:39 pm

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

In windows you'll only see the very small boot partition and not the Linux format main partition that SqPOS uses.

If you use a disc management tool of some sort you'll see all the partitions. I believe from memory that the SqPOS image will only use 4 GB of your card but TBH it's plenty. You could either create a 4GB fat32 portion in the unused space, or expand the Linux partition to fill it. Although in my experience there is more than adequate space for the database and cache files required for LMS if you just leave it as if.

In the settings menu in squeezeplay there is an option to view the storage used, I think it's under either advanced or additional features, should be easy enough to find.

The best option IMO for dealing with these partitions is to use Gparted which is a Linux tool. I run it either in a Linux VM or by using the gparted bootable CD.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

castalla
Posts: 857
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 10:33 am

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by castalla »

Which version of LMS is installed in SqpOS ?

Is it possible to specify a particular version? or is it a question of running an update from the command line?

(and does the OS use dpkg ?)

unaszplodrmann
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:23 am

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by unaszplodrmann »

Roobarb!, thank you for the excellently executed Squeezeplay OS! I'm thinking about installing it to the internal flash, adding voyage-like mounting of certain directories into volatile memory, compressing /usr with squashfs and adding a simple desktop environment (probably partial GNOME). I'm just wondering if you've considered/attempted to dist-upgrade? I'm pondering trying to update the base system to the current LTS.

User avatar
roobarb!
Posts: 1559
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:30 pm
Location: Salford, UK
Contact:

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by roobarb! »

unaszplodrmann wrote:Roobarb!, thank you for the excellently executed Squeezeplay OS! I'm thinking about installing it to the internal flash, adding voyage-like mounting of certain directories into volatile memory, compressing /usr with squashfs and adding a simple desktop environment (probably partial GNOME). I'm just wondering if you've considered/attempted to dist-upgrade? I'm pondering trying to update the base system to the current LTS.
I don't think, to the best of my knowledge, that there's an automated way to take a debootstrap-built system like sqpOS up to the next Ubuntu release in a single command like that. I can imagine that if there were, it'll come out of the other end broken. ;)

Feel free to apt-get dist-upgrade though. That will just upgrade all of the available packages in it's current distribution, which shouldn't (!) do sqpOS any harm at all. It'll just get you up-to-date with the current 10.04 release. As I say, though, it won't auto-upgrade to 12.04.

I'm in no hurry to shuffle over to 12.04 for the time being, by the way. It would require a complete rebuild and we're already using the kernel from 12.04 anyway, so everything is nice and officially supported through to at least 2015. I will be looking to moving it all up to 12.04 eventually, but while things are nice and stable I don't see much point in rocking the boat and causing headaches for everyone (particularly myself!). :)
birdslikewires.net - home of the Reflash System, SqueezePlay (OS) and various tools for the Joggler!

User avatar
roobarb!
Posts: 1559
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:30 pm
Location: Salford, UK
Contact:

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by roobarb! »

castalla wrote:Which version of LMS is installed in SqpOS ?

Is it possible to specify a particular version? or is it a question of running an update from the command line?

(and does the OS use dpkg ?)
It uses the last release version, so v7.7.2, so far as I remember. If you wanted something different, yes, you'd need to hop onto the command line.

The OS is Ubuntu (so Debian) based, and yes, dpkg should work fine.
birdslikewires.net - home of the Reflash System, SqueezePlay (OS) and various tools for the Joggler!

gegs
Posts: 1143
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:22 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by gegs »

roobarb! wrote:...I will be looking to moving it all up to 12.04 eventually, but while things are nice and stable I don't see much point in rocking the boat and causing headaches for everyone (particularly myself!). :)
Everything you've done so far is very much appreciated and yes, everything is running very well just now. Squeezeplay on the Joggler has been a life changing experience, honestly. My family listens to much more music than we used to, which can only be a good thing (unless it's N-Dubz :) ). Apart from Triode's Spotify plugin (which is worn threadbare due to overuse) it has rekindled my love of radio - and not just music; catching up on radio drama with the iPlayer Extras addon has been an unexpected joy.

I know that you didn't create Squeezeplay but I discovered it on the Joggler and it seems to have found its natural home there (especially since Logitech's idiotic decision to stop making Squeezeboxes). I'm also amazed that you've got Shairport working so well and playing out through USB; this is something I've not been able to achieve on the Pi. The Pi is recognised as an Airplay receiver but the music immediately cuts out whenever I try to Airplay* to it from an iPod or iPad. The Joggler running Squeezeplay OS does it beautifully.

My son was 15 on Tuesday and his friends are coming round for a party tomorrow evening; LMS will provide the backbone of the entertainment. LMS and Squeezelite running on a Raspberry Pi will be synced to two Jogglers, one running Squeezeplay on PnPIII in the kitchen and the other running SqpOS and attached to the hifi in the lounge. It will all be controlled using iPeng on the iPad. It's a great system and all made possible by the wonderful and woefully under-marketed O2 Joggler and, of course, the helpful enthusiasts on this amazing forum.

*Airplay is now a verb as well as a wireless technology

User avatar
roobarb!
Posts: 1559
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:30 pm
Location: Salford, UK
Contact:

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by roobarb! »

gegs wrote:It's a great system and all made possible by the wonderful and woefully under-marketed O2 Joggler and, of course, the helpful enthusiasts on this amazing forum.
That's fantastic - great to hear! :D

It's really changed how I listen to music too, as well as copious podcasts which are now available in a couple of touches (not clicks, I guess!) in the kitchen. Triode's plugins really are the backbone of what I use the system for as well, except for LMS scraping through the contents of my iTunes library. The two systems (Apple gear and SqueezePlay) do seem to sit very well together, so I'm a happy bunny.

Ah, yes. Must sort that little buffer timing thing out with AirPlay... I'm back to using my Apple TV 1 again now (didn't get on with the v3 one) so I'll see if there's a difference there. :roll:

Top story, gegs, thanks for sharing. :)
birdslikewires.net - home of the Reflash System, SqueezePlay (OS) and various tools for the Joggler!

unaszplodrmann
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:23 am

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by unaszplodrmann »

roobarb! wrote: I don't think, to the best of my knowledge, that there's an automated way to take a debootstrap-built system like sqpOS up to the next Ubuntu release in a single command like that. I can imagine that if there were, it'll come out of the other end broken. ;)
I've dist-upgrade'd standard debootstrapped installs before, but even without much delving, it seems pretty obvious that sqpOS is an altered beast ;)
roobarb! wrote:Feel free to apt-get dist-upgrade though. That will just upgrade all of the available packages in it's current distribution, which shouldn't (!) do sqpOS any harm at all. It'll just get you up-to-date with the current 10.04 release. As I say, though, it won't auto-upgrade to 12.04.
I ran apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade with various versions in sources.list, just to see the increase in storage, but didn't commit anything ... lol
roobarb! wrote:I'm in no hurry to shuffle over to 12.04 for the time being, by the way. It would require a complete rebuild and we're already using the kernel from 12.04 anyway, so everything is nice and officially supported through to at least 2015. I will be looking to moving it all up to 12.04 eventually, but while things are nice and stable I don't see much point in rocking the boat and causing headaches for everyone (particularly myself!). :)
Righto, sounds good to me :) And that's what pbuilder is there for, afterall!

gegs
Posts: 1143
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:22 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by gegs »

roobarb! wrote:Ah, yes. Must sort that little buffer timing thing out with AirPlay... I'm back to using my Apple TV 1 again now (didn't get on with the v3 one) so I'll see if there's a difference there.
I was lucky enough to get an Apple TV2 before the release of the ATV3. It's only 720p but so is my Panasonic plasma. I use my SqpOS/Joggler setup as an Airplay speaker for the Apple TV2 and it works brilliantly for audio only, podcasts and the like, but is a bit out of sync to use with a video source.

I was also lucky enough to upgrade to the last iOS version that still supports an untethered jailbreak (mainly for XBMC and Firecore's excellent Media Player) and this iOS version (5.2.0) introduced Airplay speaker functionality - i.e. audio output to an Airplay speaker. It also now officially supports bluetooth keyboards (although I have been using one for ages due to Firecore's Seas0nPass jailbreak and the BTstack hack). I love it when hacks become mainstream.

castalla
Posts: 857
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 10:33 am

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by castalla »

I just received my new Joggler! Installed SqpOS on a usb - booted! Excellent - I'm impressed. Thanks to all for the work creating this.

However, I have a couple of issues ....

1. The network is set for WPA. I'd really like to use an open network (I know ...(. I guess this involves editing the interfaces file ...

2. Can I get root access by SSH? Do I need to set a root password. I can't edit the interfaces file as user joggler.

Thanks for any advice.

User avatar
roobarb!
Posts: 1559
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:30 pm
Location: Salford, UK
Contact:

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by roobarb! »

castalla wrote: 1. The network is set for WPA. I'd really like to use an open network (I know ...(. I guess this involves editing the interfaces file ...
An open wifi network?!?! ;)

Yes, but you'll need to edit the /etc/network/interfaces file by hand.
castalla wrote:2. Can I get root access by SSH? Do I need to set a root password. I can't edit the interfaces file as user joggler.
Yes, just SSH in with 'joggler' as the username and password and then use sudo. The 'joggler' user is a sudoer and you can enable the root user from there if you really want to.
birdslikewires.net - home of the Reflash System, SqueezePlay (OS) and various tools for the Joggler!

castalla
Posts: 857
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 10:33 am

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by castalla »

Thanks!

A brief explanation: for testing purposes, I had to set up a 2nd SSID on my router using WPA. The Joggler is probably at the extreme end of the router broadcast range .... having major problems with network connectivity. Could be down to splitting the network into 2 SSIDs ?

However, before attempting to edit the interfaces, I've switched the network to channel 8 (as I read somewhere that this is better for the Joggler). This seems to have settled down the connectivity issues. *

I'll monitor it over the next few hours.



* A side effect of this switch is that my Roku LT no longer can access the network - not a big deal (as the content on it is 99% rubbish!).

gegs
Posts: 1143
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:22 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by gegs »

castalla wrote:However, before attempting to edit the interfaces, I've switched the network to channel 8 (as I read somewhere that this is better for the Joggler). This seems to have settled down the connectivity issues.
Can anybody confirm if it matters what channel to broadcast on? Myself and my neighbours seem to all be on Virgin Media and our routers all broadcast on channel 6 by default. To avoid interference, I've switched to a channel outside their broadcast ranges but I've moved down the channels, not up. If channel 8 is better for Jogglers, that's the way I'll be heading.

---EDIT---
Don't bother replying. I found the original post this relates to - http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=999
I think this calls for a little bit of trial and (hopefully not) error.

castalla
Posts: 857
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 10:33 am

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by castalla »

I might get a chance to switch the network settings later .... on 6 the Joggler had real problems keeping the connection. On 8 it's now been running flawlessly for 2 hours (playing the excellent Radio Paradise, via stereo out to an old Sony hifi - quality is more than acceptable for my tired old ears!).

What a brilliant replacement for the Touch!

castalla
Posts: 857
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 10:33 am

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by castalla »

On the Touch it's possible to rearrange and edit the menus ... is there any way to do this on SqueezePlay?

danb79
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by danb79 »

castalla wrote:On the Touch it's possible to rearrange and edit the menus ... is there any way to do this on SqueezePlay?

try long press?

castalla
Posts: 857
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 10:33 am

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by castalla »

Thanks - will try this.

User avatar
JimbobVFR400
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:39 pm

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Yes long press let's you hide, move up, down, to the top and to the bottom. You can also add sub menu items to the home page.

TBH I think this is the same as the touch does it.

castalla
Posts: 857
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 10:33 am

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by castalla »

I usually operate the Touch with the remote (it's the + key)! Learn something new each day!

Thanks.

castalla
Posts: 857
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 10:33 am

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by castalla »

Is there a recommended way to switch off the Joggler?

Can I use 'halt -p' via ssh to shut it down?

Or do I just pull the plug ....?

Locked