SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
JimbobVFR400

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Yes I believe the netdev bit makes the mounting wait until the network is available. I've not tried wifi as my server joggler is Ethernet only but I'd presume that it would also wait for wifi to be available. TBH I'd highly recommend a wired connection at least for the Joggler running LMS. I also have 2 more running as players only using wifi with no issues though.
multiplex

Post by multiplex »

Curiosity got the better of me... I removed samba, and tweaked the fstab and rebooted - it still works, and I didn't have to login in and do the mount instruction :-)

I read that roobarb! had added NFS for NAS connection, but didn't appreciate that cifs would be there to connect to my (yet another linkstation-live) NAS.
Thanks!
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Awesome glad it worked.
Must admit when I got my joggler I looked at getting NFS working on my NAS after reading it was pre installed in the first post. Gave that up as a bad job as it looked way complicated. Getting CIFS mounting to work was surprisingly easy and works a treat. Might be worth mentioning this on the OP I reckon.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Could some kind person post an idiot-proof step-by-step guide to getting CIFS mounting to work with Squeezeplay OS? I have spend many hours trying to get it to work with my Linkstation but with no success. Would roobarb consider adding this to the stock image?
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

I made a stab at it on the previous Page but maybe it's more of a guide written by an idiot :smile:
So what do you have in your fstab file at the moment? Open putty and type "nano /etc/fstab" and copy it here, you won't be able to save it though unless you add sudo in front of that command

Have you either given your linkstation a static IP or at least set it up in your router to always get the same address?

CIFS is already included in the OS but the line in fstab to mount your share has to be added yourself as everyone's will be different
roobarb!

SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by roobarb! »

This could be something to add in to the next version - just a path entry keyboard for NFS or CIFS that edits fstab for the user. Seems like it would be a useful addition.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Thanks for the reply, will give it a go in a couple of days when I get home.
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

roobarb! wrote:This could be something to add in to the next version - just a path entry keyboard for NFS or CIFS that edits fstab for the user. Seems like it would be a useful addition.
I'd not even thought of that, that could be very cool and make it a lot easier to setup initially, like it!

I was actually just thinking of changing to OP to include the fact that CIFS was installed and usable out the box but this sounds even better if doable
multiplex

Post by multiplex »

dwl99 wrote:Could some kind person post an idiot-proof step-by-step guide to getting CIFS mounting to work with Squeezeplay OS? I have spend many hours trying to get it to work with my Linkstation but with no success. Would roobarb consider adding this to the stock image?
I'd say that JimbobVFR400's notes in http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 360#p13234 were pretty comprehensive - first thing (which he didn't mention) is to create the share on your NAS and it's probably best to confirm it's working by attaching to it from your PC. Obviously the instruction for the entry is fstab is based on the exact settings you have for your setup but it's pretty clear what you have to customise. You probably only want the first fstab entry.

If you get stuck you can check that it is mounting by;

Code: Select all

cd  /mnt
mount music
cd music
ls
and (assuming I've typed that correctly from memory) you shoudl see your shared drive - if no there shoudl be some error message that you can quote here that we should be able to help you with.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

JimbobVFR400 wrote:I made a stab at it on the previous Page but maybe it's more of a guide written by an idiot :smile:
So what do you have in your fstab file at the moment? Open putty and type "nano /etc/fstab" and copy it here, you won't be able to save it though unless you add sudo in front of that command

Have you either given your linkstation a static IP or at least set it up in your router to always get the same address?

CIFS is already included in the OS but the line in fstab to mount your share has to be added yourself as everyone's will be different
fstab looks like this:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
# for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
# devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
none /tmp tmpfs noatime,size=192M 0 0
none /var/cache/apt tmpfs noatime,size=256M 0 0
none /var/lib/apt/lists tmpfs noatime,size=256M 0 0
none /var/log tmpfs noatime,size=16M 0 0

LABEL=sqp-root / ext2 errors=remount-ro,noacl,noatime 0 1
LABEL=sqp-boot /boot vfat defaults 0 0
//LINKSTATION/share/Music2 /media/Music2 cifs credentials=/root/smb/credentials,rw,iocharset=utf8,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0

My Linkstation has a static IP address 192.168.0.160. If I rescan for music it doesn't find any. Any help wound be greatly appreciated!
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

First of all I'd try replacing LINKSTATION with the ip address. I use the IP in mine and it works.

I also note you don't have the netdev part I mentioned in my post above, once your network is connected you could run

sudo mount -a
This will re attempt to mount all mounts listed in fstab and will eliminate lack of network at startup

Could you also try

cd /mnt/music2
ls
Can you see your music files then, if not its not mounting properly
Last edited by JimbobVFR400 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wilberforce

Post by Wilberforce »

hmm, have you tried:

//192.168.0.160/share/Music2 /media/Music2 cifs credentials=/root/smb/credentials,rw,iocharset=utf8,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0
are your credentials in /root/smb/credentials ?

should look like:

username=Argument
		password=Argument
does /media/Music2 exist?

if not

sudo mkdir -p /media/Music2
sudo chown 1000:1000 /media/Music2
try a manual mount:

sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.160/share/Music2 /media/Music2 -o user=music,password=secret
if no pass use: -o guest and remove user and password

and are you sure the path is //192.168.0.160/share/Music2 and not //192.168.0.160/Music2 . I take it you can access it with that address in windows explorer?
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

"share" is the name of the default share on a linkstation so that bit looks like it might be correct. Unless there's another shared folder set up on the LS called Music2 obviously

Wilberforce you're obviously more of a guru than I am, so as a matter of my interest only:
Is there any reason to use /media rather that /mnt as I have.
I also wondered what the -p meant in you're mkdir command. I have answered my own question on that one, apparently its not needed in this case as /media already exists, the -p will create the parent folder if it doesn't exist I believe?
Also what is the purpose of the chown command. I didn't do that when I created my music folder in /mnt (or anything related to permissions in fact) and mine has been working fine, including playlists created in Squeezeplay being saved to a playlists folder on my shared drive.
Wilberforce

Post by Wilberforce »

Like you say:

The chown is unnecessary as the permissions of the root directory in the share takes precedence (just looked this up :D) - so if you mount with the rw option, the user specified with uid (or root) and the group, specified with gid, should have effective ownership. But as samba shares don't have permissions anyone can read/write to it (like a chmod 777).

Spot on with the mkdir -p ...

And there is there is no advantage of using /media. Just depends on how you want to organise your file system! I was just going by what he already had...

And like you say, the netdev option is probably a good idea. I think I probbaly have as much experience with network shares as you (or less!)

In summary, I think your setup was a good one and was just trying to offer a few troubleshooting tips :D
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Cheers, was more for my own understanding and learning. The -p will definitely come in handy in future.
I am going to use the credentials thing, I currently have the NAS username and password in plain text in my fstab and I have realised running mount shows them so a useful trick to know.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Thanks guys - /mnt definitely contains /Music2 and the path to the Music2 folder is definitely //192.168.0.160/share/Music2 . I am able to access the Music2 folder from Windows as a network drive without using a username or password but if I enter //192.168.0.160/share/Music2 in Windows Explorer it just brings up the Linkstation web GUI login page. There is no /root/smb directory in my setup.
If I try

cd  /mnt
mount Music2
cd Music2
ls
I get

joggler@joggler:~$ cd  /mnt
joggler@joggler:/mnt$ mount Music2
[mntent]: line 16 in /etc/fstab is bad
[mntent]: line 17 in /etc/fstab is bad
mount: can't find Music2 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
joggler@joggler:/mnt$ cd Music2
joggler@joggler:/mnt/Music2$ ls
joggler@joggler:/mnt/Music2$
and the relevant lines in fstab are set to

//192.168.0.160/share/Music2 /mnt/Music2 cifs username=admin,password=[password],_netdev 0$
//192.168.0.160/share /mnt/share cifs username=admin,password=[password],_netdev 0$
(my login credentials for the Linkstation web GUI are admin & password).

I also tried changing the fstab lines to

//192.168.0.160/share/Music2 /mnt/Music2 cifs username=guest,_netdev 0$
//192.168.0.160/share /mnt/share cifs username=guest,_netdev 0$
but still no success.
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

dwl99 wrote:Thanks guys - /mnt definitely contains /Music2 and the path to the Music2 folder is definitely //192.168.0.160/share/Music2 . I am able to access the Music2 folder from Windows as a network drive without using a username or password but if I enter //192.168.0.160/share/Music2 in Windows Explorer it just brings up the Linkstation web GUI login page. There is no /root/smb directory in my setup.
In Windows explorer you need to use \\192.168.0.160\share\Music2
Note the slashes are the other way round.
If I try

cd  /mnt
mount Music2
cd Music2
ls
I get

joggler@joggler:~$ cd  /mnt
joggler@joggler:/mnt$ mount Music2
[mntent]: line 16 in /etc/fstab is bad
[mntent]: line 17 in /etc/fstab is bad
mount: can't find Music2 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
joggler@joggler:/mnt$ cd Music2
joggler@joggler:/mnt/Music2$ ls
joggler@joggler:/mnt/Music2$
and the relevant lines in fstab are set to

//192.168.0.160/share/Music2 /mnt/Music2 cifs username=admin,password=[password],_netdev 0$
//192.168.0.160/share /mnt/share cifs username=admin,password=[password],_netdev 0$
(my login credentials for the Linkstation web GUI are admin & password).

I also tried changing the fstab lines to

//192.168.0.160/share/Music2 /mnt/Music2 cifs username=guest,_netdev 0$jo
//192.168.0.160/share /mnt/share cifs username=guest,_netdev 0$
but still no success.
In the LS web gui can you try creating a new user called joggler with a password of "password"
Click "user management" then "Add Local user"

While you're in the gui
Click "shared folders"
Click on the "share"
Check the option for access restrictions is turned off

Now on the joggler change the line in fstab to:

//192.168.1.160/share /mnt/share cifs username=joggler,password=password,_netdev 0$
Also check that /mnt/share exists with

cd /mnt
ls
If it doesn't then

sudo mkdir share
will create it.

Reboot the joggler at this point, you can check again that /mnt/share contains your files and folders from the linkstation with

cd /mnt/share
ls
And then navigate to [jogglerIP]:9000 in your browser and set up the directories in LMS to scan for your music

The reason I suggest this is I also couldn't get the guest access to work, however setting an explicit username, even though access to the share is not restricted on the linkstation did work. I wouldn't use the admin logon, I'm not even sure it works for accessing the device TBH, I always thought it was just for accessing the web gui on the Linkstation

If your music is in the Music2 subfolder on share then you actually only need to mount share, but in the LMS interface choose /mnt/share/Music2
Although if you wish once that is hopefully working you could then go back to having the 2 mounts if you so wish
On my setup I don't keep my music on share, I've created a separate share called music, so I have a dedicated "drive" of M: mapped in windows
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Thank you for your very comprehensive reply - all working well now. Small typo in the bit where you mentioned "Now on the joggler change the line in fstab to: //192.168.1.160/share /mnt/share cifs username=joggler,password=password,_netdev 0$" but I eventually spotted that the IP address should have been 192.168.0.160 :)

Thanks again - I would have never thought of creating a new user on the LS!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

roobarb! wrote:
alcoheca wrote:The issue is compiling drivers from compat-wireless for squeezeplayos, I'll build them on one of my jogglers, but ideally they could be incorporated into the Squeezeplay build. I'm also wondering if a more recent rt2800 driver would give better wifi performance?
Interesting! I've just bought one from eBay, as I'd looked some time ago for a decent 5GHz adapter but couldn't find one. My only concern would be the antennae themselves; they may be useless for 5GHz, but I don't know any specs for them. They're very easily replaced, though.

UPDATE: Confirmed - the antennae in the Joggler are Airgain N2420 parts, which are single-band 2.4GHz units. Here's the data sheet. They could be replaced with alternatives, or we could just see what the on-board performance of the sticks are.
There's an extra added pitfall with these adapters (mine arrived today). They identify themselves as mass storage devices and need to be 'ejected' before they'll start working as wireless units. Trying one out on my test Joggler and it wouldn't boot - my guess is it was looking at the storage on the stick, rather than the USB HDD I use for dev stuff. Could be problematic.

Have you had any luck with the drivers?
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Awesome. Yes my network is with the 1 not 0,and I hadn't spotted yours was 0, Doh.
It's a bit bizarre that even though access restrictions are turned off CIFS does not seem to work using guest for some reason. No idea why but it works that's the main thing.