SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

paulbass wrote:how do I get my radio streams to play (6 music is my radio savior)

would installing mplayer on the spOS solve the problem - I feel confident enough to do this
Yes, it should do - I'm planning on doing this with the OS by default in the end. It's just a case of thinning things down a bit, as 1GB is a bit tight.

If you've expanded the root partition you should have no trouble - just apt-get install mplayer should work.

Good choice on 6Music, by the way! ;)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
gegs

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by gegs »

roobarb! wrote:If you've expanded the root partition you should have no trouble - just apt-get install mplayer should work.
There's a little bit more to do than the above instruction for those who want to run LMS on the Joggler itself.

WMA streams do play with Mplayer on SqueezePlayOS but you also need to install Logitech Media Server and enable the Play WMA plugin. The Joggler still won't play WMA streams as such but it will transcode them to FLAC; there will be a short delay when choosing WMA streams to allow for the transcoding. To install LMS you will need to add the repo to /etc/apt/sources.list.

Read my post on page 6 of this thread for link and instructions.

The steps to install the necessary gubbins:

1) enlarge root partition of USB stick with Gparted then boot the stick
2) SSH into the Joggler running SpOS and run 'sudo apt-get update'
3) sudo apt-get install mplayer (or 'sudo apt-get install mplayer-nogui')
4) Add LMS repo to /etc/apt/sources.list
5) sudo apt-get update
6) sudo apt-get install logitechmediaserver

Good luck!

--- EDIT ---
I don't know why I didn't put the LMS repo on this post too. It's...

Code: Select all

deb http://debian.slimdevices.com stable main
The following web page also has repos for beta and unstable versions (or "bleeding edge" if the word "unstable" inhibits your compulsive desire to play software Russian roulette).
http://www.havetheknowhow.com/Install-t ... erver.html
Last edited by gegs on Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
asm495

Post by asm495 »

How hard do you think it would be to compile this for the Raspberry Pi? Although there is a Joggler in the bedroom I think the Pi would work better connected to the TV there using a phone as a remote control for it.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

asm495 wrote:How hard do you think it would be to compile this for the Raspberry Pi? Although there is a Joggler in the bedroom I think the Pi would work better connected to the TV there using a phone as a remote control for it.
You never know until you try! ;)

The skin would need reworking for a 720/1080 display, though - otherwise you'll have a small SqueezePlay box in a corner of the screen. I saw a few development pics, but I'm not sure it was ever released.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

roobarb! wrote:
asm495 wrote:How hard do you think it would be to compile this for the Raspberry Pi? Although there is a Joggler in the bedroom I think the Pi would work better connected to the TV there using a phone as a remote control for it.
You never know until you try! ;)

The skin would need reworking for a 720/1080 display, though - otherwise you'll have a small SqueezePlay box in a corner of the screen. I saw a few development pics, but I'm not sure it was ever released.

Your awesome skin works ok at all resolutions, Thats what people who used fullscreen Squeezeplay windows tole me anyway :) just the buttons might be a little big I suppose
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
asm495

Post by asm495 »

I think it would like great on a smaller screen - I had in mind a 26" TV. I'll keep an eye out to see if you take a look at it sometime!
paulbass

Post by paulbass »

Thanks for the prompt replies with respect to my radio stream problems, I've got the streams working now, following the steps in gregs post.

The only inconvenience now is that to listen to the BBC WMA streams on the Joggler, I have to be connected to the joggler library , (this contains no music), and then to listen to my music collection (stored on my NAS) I have to switch libraries.

I know that the best solution would be to have my NAS do the transcoding (this will remain a work in progress, with a low priority!) but I will also try some of the other squeezeplay options to find an optimum solution

Thanks
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

paulbass wrote:Thanks for the prompt replies with respect to my radio stream problems, I've got the streams working now, following the steps in gregs post.

The only inconvenience now is that to listen to the BBC WMA streams on the Joggler, I have to be connected to the joggler library , (this contains no music), and then to listen to my music collection (stored on my NAS) I have to switch libraries.

I know that the best solution would be to have my NAS do the transcoding (this will remain a work in progress, with a low priority!) but I will also try some of the other squeezeplay options to find an optimum solution
Ahh, sorry, I had my wires crossed there. Yes, gegs description is what you'll need to get LMS to do the transcoding on the device itself. What you could do to cope with the lack of music on the Joggler is create an NFS share on the NAS, then mount that share on the Joggler and get it to do all the hard work with Logitech Media Server (ie. scrap LMS from your NAS entirely).

You can test your share availability like this:

showmount -e <ip_of_nas>
Then test it like this:

mkdir /home/joggler/Music
sudo mount -t nfs <ip_of_nas>:/path/to/nfs/share /home/joggler/Music
You should find that /home/joggler/Music is now full of your shared folder's files.

To make the share permanent, add the following line to your /etc/fstab file:

<ip_of_nas>:/path/to/nfs/share    /home/joggler/Music    nfs    rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr    0    0
Then you should find the share remounted every time you reboot.

Of course, you may need to:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nfs-common
...beforehand. I can't remember if it's installed by default or not. Amazing how much you forget after a week or so not messing!
a8ree

Post by a8ree »

I am running my Joggler connected to a WHS squeezebox server. It seems to work great however for some reason the screen on the Squeezeplay flickers...

The flicker is with a screen saying 'Connecting to...' (WHS) then it shows the screen again.

Its quite annoying! Any ideas whats going wrong?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Not sure.. But what's a WHS?

Edit: Duh, Windows Home Server, at a guess? :)
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

WHS? Think that means whsmiths :P
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
Jetpac

Post by Jetpac »

This looks fantastic as im only really using my joggler for music running off a server running LMS... Looking at picking up a topping TP30 to go with it.
I really want to get a full radio setup sorted on here aswell

However im running into some problems:

I have enabled the SSH but im getting the error Could not connect to the host on port 23: Connection failed

Is there a step by step for installing the radio bits and pieces?
and as bellow how to install to internal memory?
Last edited by Jetpac on Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monkums

Post by monkums »

As I use Squeezeplay as the only OS on one of my Jogglers I would like to install it as the OS. Are there any instructions for doing this?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Jetpac wrote:I have enabled the SSH but im getting the error Could not connect to the host on port 23: Connection failed
You connect to port 22 when using SSH.
Jetpac wrote:Is there a step by step for installing the radio bits and pieces?
Just go to your Logitech Media Server, head to the plugins page and install the BBC iPlayer Radio plugin. There are further radio features, but I believe they're all contained within the server.
Jetpac wrote:and as bellow how to install to internal memory?
Can't, yet. Well, you can, but there are problems. Watch this space.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

monkums wrote:As I use Squeezeplay as the only OS on one of my Jogglers I would like to install it as the OS. Are there any instructions for doing this?
Nope, it's not ready to be installed to the internal memory. It's possible to do it, but it's not a great idea at the moment.
Jetpac

Post by Jetpac »

roobarb! wrote:
Jetpac wrote:I have enabled the SSH but im getting the error Could not connect to the host on port 23: Connection failed
You connect to port 22 when using SSH.
Jetpac wrote:Is there a step by step for installing the radio bits and pieces?
Just go to your Logitech Media Server, head to the plugins page and install the BBC iPlayer Radio plugin. There are further radio features, but I believe they're all contained within the server.
Jetpac wrote:and as bellow how to install to internal memory?
Can't, yet. Well, you can, but there are problems. Watch this space.

is it only the BBC stations you can get?
im assuming i need to install mplayer, but do i need to install LMS aswell? (i run LMS off a server as it is)
guidows

Post by guidows »

roobarb! wrote:
monkums wrote:As I use Squeezeplay as the only OS on one of my Jogglers I would like to install it as the OS. Are there any instructions for doing this?
Nope, it's not ready to be installed to the internal memory. It's possible to do it, but it's not a great idea at the moment.
yes, it's a great idea!, I have my joggler working from internal memory and every day I love it more.

I will write a post with my "recipes" of things that I have done with the SqueezePlay.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Jetpac wrote:is it only the BBC stations you can get?
im assuming i need to install mplayer, but do i need to install LMS aswell? (i run LMS off a server as it is)
The short answers are;

No, it's not only the BBC stations you can get.
You only need to install MPlayer if you want to play WMA streams - Triode's iPlayer plugin will stream iPlayer content in AAC format.
You only need to install LMS on the Joggler if you don't have it running elsewhere (e.g. on a PC, Mac or NAS).

Read my post on this page which gives you the steps to install MPlayer and LMS on Squeezeplay OS, if you want to - although it sounds like you don't need to.
You'd need to enlarge the root partition on the Squeezeplay OS stick before installing these additional packages.
Jetpac

Post by Jetpac »

danynero wrote:This OS is fantastic! Thanks a lot for your job.

Greetings from Italy
Daniele

How do i get the radio stations to look like that?
gegs

Post by gegs »

Tap the screen when something is playing. It'll cycle through various screen options like the bar graph and needle oscilloscopes seen in the images above.