Linux Kernels for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
chris

Re: Linux Kernels with GMA500 Support

Post by chris »

roobarb! wrote:Also, if chris is still around, this kernel should support your Schiit Modi audio interface now. :)
Fantastic! I started a new job and we're in the process of buying a new house. Hopefully I can find time this weekend to give it a try.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Just bringing this back to life - I've been taking a little peek at the 3.12 kernel. Graphics now work without the patch to disable GTT scrolling, but the bloomin' audio is messed up again. The patch file almost works, but doesn't properly kill the audio output on the internal speakers again, leading to that lovely scratchy-squeaky sound.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

cheers :/ we really need an alsa dev to take a joggler. no emgd update from intel either.. with xserver 1.9 etc, this might be the end of modern distros on joggler:(
gegs

Post by gegs »

That would be an awful shame, after all your hard work to transform these unassuming little devices into something awesome.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

And another resurrection.

Been playing with the 3.15 branch. Kernel 3.15.3 works very well, using the little of1-stac9202.patch file and audio switching works fine on the OF1 - except for the old non-muting-of-the-internal-speakers problem. Compiling a second attempt now.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Re: Linux Kernels for OpenFrame

Post by roobarb! »

Well, I don't believe it. I've found a combination of patches that seems to work. I shall be uploading to my little kernel area shortly if anyone would like to try it out.

As per, it's GMA500 not EMGD (so no hardware video acceleration) but other than that it seems fine. Main thing to test is is the audio switching - make sure you use the of1-stac9202 patch.

Ah, one thing that's squiffy is readlightsensor not being able to allocate its memory any more, but that's not a kernel issue, I don't think.

UPDATE: Exact same patches work perfectly on 3.14 longterm kernel too. :)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Fixed the I2C bus in 3.14 now too. Same issue before, but the patch needed reworking. :)
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

roobarb! wrote:Fixed the I2C bus in 3.14 now too. Same issue before, but the patch needed reworking. :)
Is the readlightsensor is on the I2C bus ? And that's why is wasn't working ?

With your latest Kernel, do you have a super light Ubuntu base you could share ? Do you start off with something like this when you create new/updated versions of SqPOS ? Or if not, could you say what would be involved in stripping down your next release of SqPOS with this Kernel ?

Just read over the above and realised all I've asked are questions... Sorry. If there are some instructions, I'd have a go myself. In fact I'd learn a lot by doing it. Also I think a few members have asked about this sort of thing before. Maybe to have an OS they can put on the internal flash and customise to do whatever they want to do. Personally, I just want the lightest OS I can get, to get the best performance out of the Joggler. And I realise that it is not just the OS that contributes to this. There are several factors. I think the other biggest factor is the 'disk' storage.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Juggler wrote:
roobarb! wrote:Fixed the I2C bus in 3.14 now too. Same issue before, but the patch needed reworking. :)
Is the readlightsensor is on the I2C bus ? And that's why is wasn't working ?
Yup, there's a resource_size value in the kernel driver that is never detected properly. They'd shuffled some code to only perform the detection once, but that broke the patch. All fixed now. The patch is actually simpler than it was before.
Juggler wrote:With your latest Kernel, do you have a super light Ubuntu base you could share ? Do you start off with something like this when you create new/updated versions of SqPOS ? Or if not, could you say what would be involved in stripping down your next release of SqPOS with this Kernel ?
Yup, I make a minimal install with debootstrap and then add SqueezePlay. Getting back to the minimal install is actually very easy - edit ~/.xinitrc to not load SqueezePlay any more, then rm -rf /opt/squeezeplay. :)
Juggler wrote:Just read over the above and realised all I've asked are questions... Sorry. If there are some instructions, I'd have a go myself. In fact I'd learn a lot by doing it. Also I think a few members have asked about this sort of thing before. Maybe to have an OS they can put on the internal flash and customise to do whatever they want to do. Personally, I just want the lightest OS I can get, to get the best performance out of the Joggler. And I realise that it is not just the OS that contributes to this. There are several factors. I think the other biggest factor is the 'disk' storage.
I should be putting all my scripts up on GitHub soon, to keep them safe and let people see how to put together their own build. If you really want a minimal internal install though, the simplest way really is to use SQPOS, write it to internal memory and then make those two changes I mentioned. You'll wind up with a fully working, pretty-much-as-minimal-as-can-be-useful install.
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

Thanks very much for all this roobarb!

Will have a go with SqPOS installed to a USB flash drive and then strip it down. I'm not really keen on using the internal flash, but I know other members like to do that as the Joggler has less appendages.

Thinking about it now, wouldn't this just be the same as BuZz's Ubuntu base as that is what you use or does debootstrap enable you to strip a distro down ?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Juggler wrote:Thinking about it now, wouldn't this just be the same as BuZz's Ubuntu base as that is what you use or does debootstrap enable you to strip a distro down ?
I build my own from the ground up using the debootstrap tool. The main difference between SQPOS and BuZz's base release is the presence of SqueezePlay (which you don't need!), the kernel version (3.2 for BuZz, 3.12 for mine) and hardware accelerated video (which can't be done on kernels >3.2). Oh, and BuZz gives you a choice of out-of-the-box filesystems. :)

For your requirements, I'd recommend BuZz's base release, particularly if you're running from external storage. You'd need to add back things like the kernel headers and build environment to mine, while BuZz's is rather more ready-to-go. If there's not some device that really needs a later kernel, you may as well use kernel 3.2 and have the option of OpenGL.