FIXED: Podcasts through SqueezeplayOS via LMS on ReadyNAS

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
offbeatdave

FIXED: Podcasts through SqueezeplayOS via LMS on ReadyNAS

Post by offbeatdave »

Posting mainly as a point of reference for myself should the following scenario happen again and in case anyone else is having podcast issues.

So, I'm still running the classic SqueezeplayOS here on a Joggler (which I might update if I can guarantee complete blackout when the screen is off!). These days my SqueezeplayOS Joggler is connected through Logitech Media Server running on a Netgear ReadyNAS 204 which runs a stripped back Debian GNU/Linux 8.11 (jessie) masquarading as ReadyNASOS 6.10.9.

Many, many months ago (back in Autumn 2022 I believe), I had an issue with many of my favourite podcasts suddenly not playing through LMS, particularly all those coming through 'acast' and 'megaboom'. LMS would read the feeds and episode lists and 'try' to play, before giving up. Some of my other podcasts still worked OK though. The LMS logs suggested that it might be some sort of rejection by certain podcast providers as some podcasts still worked, linked to the following warning in the logs:
You're using a rather old version of IO::Socket::SSL (v2.002) - please try to update to at least 2.020 for improved compatibility.
Well, I trawled (obviously not thoroughly enough :oops: ) the web looking for solutions, but kept coming up short. I knew it was a LMS issue as they worked fine through web browsers etc. on the same network. I tried disabling the PiHole and my VPN, even though I knew these weren't the issue. I also updated LMS on the ReadyNAS from 7.9 through to 8.4 nightly, but again, no joy.

Yesterday I decided to have another bash at it and quickly came across the solution in a 2017 slimdevices.com forum thread (which long time forum member Ronnie had contributed to)

The fix was, via Putty-ing into the ReadyNAS, the following (running as su)

Code: Select all

apt-get install libssl-dev

perl -MCPAN -e shell

cpan> install CPAN
cpan> reload CPAN
cpan> install Net::SSLeay
cpan> install IO:Socket::SSL
cpan> install Audio::Scan 
This updated IO::Socket::SSL to 2.083 from 2.002 that was previously running on the ReadyNAS, despite running LMS 8.4 and fixed the non-playing podcast issue!

This also updated Audio::Scan from 0.95 to 1.01 (which probably wasn't necessary), although to register this change I had to

mv /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/lib/Audio/Scan.pm /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/lib/Audio/Scan.pmold
to let LMS pick up the new Scan.pm file located in /usr/local/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/perl/5.20.2/Audio/Scan.pm

The full spec reported from LMS is now
Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8
Platform Architecture: armv7l-linux
Perl Version: 5.20.2 - arm-linux-gnueabi-thread-multi-64int
Audio::Scan: 1.01
IO::Socket::SSL: 2.083
Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)
All podcasts are now playing perfectly.

As always, a simple fix, which no doubt if I'd posted somewhere such as the slimforums or here I would probably have been directed to, but where's the fun in solving an issue quickly?! :lol:
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
pete

Re: FIXED: Podcasts through SqueezeplayOS via LMS on ReadyNAS

Post by pete »

Thank you @offbeatdave

Thinking I should leave mine alone for time being until I test the podcast?

Logitech Media Server Version: 8.3.1 - 1676361197 @ Fri 17 Feb 2023 06:37:09 AM CET
Hostname: ICS-MythTV-00
Server IP Address: 192.168.244.175
Server HTTP Port Number: 9000
Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8
Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
Perl Version: 5.26.1 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
Audio::Scan: 0.95
IO::Socket::SSL: 2.060
Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.58 (sqlite 3.22.0)
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
offbeatdave

Re: FIXED: Podcasts through SqueezeplayOS via LMS on ReadyNAS

Post by offbeatdave »

pete wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:42 pm Thinking I should leave mine alone for time being until I test the podcast?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Or usually in my case, when it comes to tech: If it ain't broke, tinker with it anyway...break it...spend hours looking for a 1 minute fix...repeat!
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!