A Joggler with bad BIOS chip

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Post Reply
my94my
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:42 pm

A Joggler with bad BIOS chip

Post by my94my »

Hello everyone, I bought a bricked Joggler.
The seller says the Joggler always stucks at "OpenPeak" logo. He tries to flash BIOS but puts the chip reversely in Joggler's slot and broken it.
I don't have any good Joggler, is it possible to buy a new chip with BIOS and replace the bad one?
And I want to flash Ubuntu into EMMC, which BIOS should I use and where to download it?
Thanks for your help! :D
User avatar
hawsey
Posts: 2043
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 11:23 pm
Location: Northumberland

Re: A Joggler with bad BIOS chip

Post by hawsey »

Hi , did he actually take the Joggler apart and mess with the internal chip in the little compartment?
If he hasn't done that then it may be possible to rescue it using the blind typing method documented on the forum . What comes up on screen ?

Sent from my 2107113SG using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
my94my
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:42 pm

Re: A Joggler with bad BIOS chip

Post by my94my »

hawsey wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:22 pm Hi , did he actually take the Joggler apart and mess with the internal chip in the little compartment?
If he hasn't done that then it may be possible to rescue it using the blind typing method documented on the forum . What comes up on screen ?

Sent from my 2107113SG using Tapatalk
Thanks for replying! :)
The BIOS chip must have been broken, because the screen is still black and USB devices are not working after power on.
The seller says he didn't place the bad BIOS chip back into socket, so I think there is no wrong with the Joggler's hardware.
I bought a chip of the same model, but any BIOS backup I can find on the forum only makes screen flash for one second then return black.
User avatar
hawsey
Posts: 2043
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 11:23 pm
Location: Northumberland

Re: A Joggler with bad BIOS chip

Post by hawsey »

my94my wrote:
hawsey wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:22 pm Hi , did he actually take the Joggler apart and mess with the internal chip in the little compartment?
If he hasn't done that then it may be possible to rescue it using the blind typing method documented on the forum . What comes up on screen ?

Sent from my 2107113SG using Tapatalk
Thanks for replying! :)
The BIOS chip must have been broken, because the screen is still black and USB devices are not working after power on.
The seller says he didn't place the bad BIOS chip back into socket, so I think there is no wrong with the Joggler's hardware.
I bought a chip of the same model, but any BIOS backup I can find on the forum only makes screen flash for one second then return black.
@pete can you help here please Image

Sent from my 2107113SG using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
User avatar
hawsey
Posts: 2043
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 11:23 pm
Location: Northumberland

Re: A Joggler with bad BIOS chip

Post by hawsey »

@my94my try this method documented by @pete

Recovering an unbootable Joggler

Blind typing method



1 - Before you do any of this, it is essential that you have a working usbstick with an efi partition and a working OS with all drivers.

2 - If something you do leaves the Joggler in a non-booting state (i.e. stuck on O2/OpenPeak screen) take the following steps:
A - Don't Panic
B - Attach keyboard and known good usb stick, and apply power to the Joggler
C - Press escape frantically (oh yes just like the good ol' days)
D - Once the num-lock key has lit, press escape a few more times. The process has worked if the numlock/caps lock key switches on and off when you press the appropriate key.
E - type the following: fs1:boot and press enter. You are typing blind thanks to the jogglers boot screen.
F - If it doesn't boot the USB stick repeat the whole process.
G - It it doesn't work repeat the whole process but type fs0:boot and press enter

3 - Once booting into Ubuntu delete the MMC parition, create one EFI boot partition (DD or just copy it with GParted).

4 - Test the booting to USB with the newly written EFI boot partition

Sent from my 2107113SG using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
my94my
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:42 pm

Re: A Joggler with bad BIOS chip

Post by my94my »

hawsey wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:06 am @my94my try this method documented by @pete

Recovering an unbootable Joggler

Blind typing method



1 - Before you do any of this, it is essential that you have a working usbstick with an efi partition and a working OS with all drivers.

2 - If something you do leaves the Joggler in a non-booting state (i.e. stuck on O2/OpenPeak screen) take the following steps:
A - Don't Panic
B - Attach keyboard and known good usb stick, and apply power to the Joggler
C - Press escape frantically (oh yes just like the good ol' days)
D - Once the num-lock key has lit, press escape a few more times. The process has worked if the numlock/caps lock key switches on and off when you press the appropriate key.
E - type the following: fs1:boot and press enter. You are typing blind thanks to the jogglers boot screen.
F - If it doesn't boot the USB stick repeat the whole process.
G - It it doesn't work repeat the whole process but type fs0:boot and press enter

3 - Once booting into Ubuntu delete the MMC parition, create one EFI boot partition (DD or just copy it with GParted).

4 - Test the booting to USB with the newly written EFI boot partition

Sent from my 2107113SG using Tapatalk
I have tried this before, caps lock light on my keyboard doesn't light up at all when I press the key. :(
I found the Joggler's touch screen controller board, which is at the back of screen, has a different layout between those in the pictures posed at wiki.
Is it a different version, so those BIOS backups at the forum does not work?
User avatar
hawsey
Posts: 2043
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 11:23 pm
Location: Northumberland

Re: A Joggler with bad BIOS chip

Post by hawsey »

my94my wrote:
hawsey wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:06 am @my94my try this method documented by @pete

Recovering an unbootable Joggler

Blind typing method



1 - Before you do any of this, it is essential that you have a working usbstick with an efi partition and a working OS with all drivers.

2 - If something you do leaves the Joggler in a non-booting state (i.e. stuck on O2/OpenPeak screen) take the following steps:
A - Don't Panic
B - Attach keyboard and known good usb stick, and apply power to the Joggler
C - Press escape frantically (oh yes just like the good ol' days)
D - Once the num-lock key has lit, press escape a few more times. The process has worked if the numlock/caps lock key switches on and off when you press the appropriate key.
E - type the following: fs1:boot and press enter. You are typing blind thanks to the jogglers boot screen.
F - If it doesn't boot the USB stick repeat the whole process.
G - It it doesn't work repeat the whole process but type fs0:boot and press enter

3 - Once booting into Ubuntu delete the MMC parition, create one EFI boot partition (DD or just copy it with GParted).

4 - Test the booting to USB with the newly written EFI boot partition

Sent from my 2107113SG using Tapatalk
I have tried this before, caps lock light on my keyboard doesn't light up at all when I press the key. :(
I found the Joggler's touch screen controller board, which is at the back of screen, has a different layout between those in the pictures posed at wiki.
Is it a different version, so those BIOS backups at the forum does not work?
Oh dear I've not heard of that before , maybe you send me your broken one and I'll use for spares or fix and I'll send you a working one , you just pay my postage and send me your old one , I think it's about £4 to post if you are in UK , send me a message Image

Sent from my 2107113SG using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
my94my
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:42 pm

Re: A Joggler with bad BIOS chip

Post by my94my »

hawsey wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:03 am Oh dear I've not heard of that before , maybe you send me your broken one and I'll use for spares or fix and I'll send you a working one , you just pay my postage and send me your old one , I think it's about £4 to post if you are in UK , send me a message Image

Sent from my 2107113SG using Tapatalk
Thanks for your kindness!
I found the bad BIOS chip could work occasionally, if I keep pressing a specific point on it. I think it do have some problems.
Once it worked, the first thing comes up on screen is an "OpenPeak" logo and the Joggler stucks at it just as the seller said.
Image
The Joggler can boot a Xubuntu USB stick without blind typing.
I try to backup BIOS by using "sudo dd if=efi.rom of=/dev/fh bs=1M", but there is no "fh" in /dev, the "fb0" and "fd" don't seem to be BIOS either.
Image
User avatar
hawsey
Posts: 2043
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 11:23 pm
Location: Northumberland

Re: A Joggler with bad BIOS chip

Post by hawsey »

Hi it just sounds like the internal storage is broken as the bios has the Efi boot on it , I always use usb boot , either from the side port or using the internal after removing the WiFi card , I then either use ethernet or plug a smaller WiFi usb stick in to the side port .

Sent from my 2107113SG using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
User avatar
pete
Posts: 2937
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:33 am
Location: Time Traveler

Re: A Joggler with bad BIOS chip

Post by pete »

Thinking you can fix it. Boot up using a USB hub with one USB boot up Ubuntu stick and the other with an EFI boot bios saved here. I like the Avaya boot bios.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
User avatar
hawsey
Posts: 2043
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 11:23 pm
Location: Northumberland

Re: A Joggler with bad BIOS chip

Post by hawsey »

Good call @pete .
@my94my give that a try and if still not good my offer stands


Sent from my 2107113SG using Tapatalk


Happy Joggling
my94my
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:42 pm

Re: A Joggler with bad BIOS chip

Post by my94my »

@hawsey @pete Thanks for the help!
I have fixed the problem, my joggler is now running Debian and working well!:)
User avatar
hawsey
Posts: 2043
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 11:23 pm
Location: Northumberland

Re: A Joggler with bad BIOS chip

Post by hawsey »

my94my wrote:@hawsey @pete Thanks for the help!
I have fixed the problem, my joggler is now running Debian and working well!:)
Fantastic, that's great

Sent from my 2107113SG using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
User avatar
pete
Posts: 2937
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:33 am
Location: Time Traveler

Re: A Joggler with bad BIOS chip

Post by pete »

Great news @my94my !!!
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
User avatar
alexis92
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:18 pm

Re: A Joggler with bad BIOS chip

Post by alexis92 »

my94my wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:19 am @hawsey @pete Thanks for the help!
I have fixed the problem, my joggler is now running Debian and working well!:)
Just out of curiosity, how'd you manage to get things up and running? The previous owner you bought it from seemed to have it really banged up.
Post Reply