Hamclock RPi project on Joggler? - FIXED

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
jothebulb

Hamclock RPi project on Joggler? - FIXED

Post by jothebulb »

Hamclock.jpg
Hi,

New to the forum, but have had a Joggler for a while & have been looking for a use for this solid little gadget.

As a radio amateur, I like the Adafruit Huzzah project 'Ham Clock' over at the Clear Sky Institute: https://www.clearskyinstitute.com/ham/HamClock/ This takes a bunch of useful amateur radio data (UTC time, local weather, satellite passes, moon phases etc.) and displays it all on a simple display, minimum 800x480, with touchscreen control to change displays, enter data etc (the designer has even written the touch keyboard into the software).

I was going to buy the Huzzah kit, inc. touchscreen to build one, but then thought: if it is a. a small-is app & b. runs on Ubuntu/Linux, *perhaps* it would be perfect to get working on a Joggler?

I can get the Ubuntu/X11 working on my Windows 10 laptop using WSL2 & XLaunch/Xming (see image attached of it above, running on the laptop), so I know it will work on Ubuntu, but my question is that if I load the Bionic Kernel onto my Joggler (via a memory stick), is it possible to get this to run on the Joggler? I believe the display of the Joggler is 800x480, so should it/would it run without major modifications?

Thank you in advance for any help with this - it would be great to have this working on my desk like this & it would probably be of interest to other amateurs here.

Jo.
Last edited by jothebulb on Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jothebulb

Re: Hamclock RPi project on Joggler?

Post by jothebulb »

Just to follow up on my own post, naturally I have tried loading it to see if it worked!

The screen display remains at the standard display (IP address etc.), but opening the diagnostic file in the Ham clock software, I have:

argv[0] = hamclock

HamClock version 2.60
Can not open X Windows display

I assume I am missing a bit of the X Windows setup in order to write the screen display to the Joggler?
jothebulb

Post by jothebulb »

Fixed....
Ham clock Joggler copy.jpg
Man in a van

Re: Hamclock RPi project on Joggler? - FIXED

Post by Man in a van »

Well don't be a tease..tell us how ! :roll:

and welcome :)

ronnie
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

jothebulb wrote:Fixed....
Ham clock Joggler copy.jpg
@jothebulb great job Image as a fellow amateur I'm interested in getting this working and also other ham radio uses for the joggler , I did have it working as both an SDR and picking up airplane beacons but via Android and although it worked it was not well .
Under Linux I'm sure SDR could work .
De 2E0HGP .

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
roobarb!

Re: Hamclock RPi project on Joggler? - FIXED

Post by roobarb! »

Liking this, yes, more detail please!

On my list of things to do with a Joggler is to take the data from the FlightAware setup in the loft and display it. In all honesty it should be trivial to achieve given there's a map interface in SkyAware. I recently discovered that Apple's HomeKit supports issuing commands over SSH, so I can also have Joggler displays turning on and off based on room motion. :D