Ubuntu Bionic for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
HarmlessSaucer

Re: Ubuntu Bionic for OpenFrame

Post by HarmlessSaucer »

Yea, so strange! I flashed the image with the same thing, used the same sticks, same imager, same ports, same Mac to image... and yet for some reason now it’s working fine! Only thing that’s different is I TRIED installing using the internal memory, which I quickly found was too small. Oh well, thanks everyone! 😊

spants

Post by spants »

Thanks for building this. I resurrected my 2 O2 Jogglers for a project but I am stuck..... I have the boot USB working for bionic but I would like it to just load up a web browser (will show a NodeRed dashboard).
Does anyone know how to do this?
Thanks!

hawsey

Post by hawsey »

spants wrote:Thanks for building this. I resurrected my 2 O2 Jogglers for a project but I am stuck..... I have the boot USB working for bionic but I would like it to just load up a web browser (will show a NodeRed dashboard).
Does anyone know how to do this?
Thanks!
@Spants are you just wanting a desktop environment ?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling

roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Funnily enough, installing a kiosk browser is one of the things I have on my list! I'm setting up some home automation and will be using a Joggler for exactly the same purpose.

Okay, from the top of my head:

Code: Select all

sudo of-expand
sudo of-install xserver
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt install chromium-browser
sudo of-settings autologin of
sudo of-settings autoxrun of "<path to chromium i can't remember where it gets installed>"
sudo reboot
That'll get you somewhere. You may need to:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install matchbox-window-manager
To get Chromium to full screen properly, and you'll need to figure out the kiosk mode switches, but all of that is just the same as any Debian / Ubuntu system.

Good luck!

roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

BTW, folks, the 3.16 kernel was made end-of-life recently, so I think I'll be switching up to 5.4 in the future. This will break automatic detection of a plug in the output socket on the OpenFrame 1 / Joggler due to the fun way they wired in the chip and me not being able to work out a patch (despite many hours trying).