Ubuntu 11.10 / Oneiric Ocelot and further development

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
johnd

Re: Ubuntu 11.10 / Oneiric Ocelot

Post by johnd »

lxde sounds cool, also how about using the stock os as a frontend as a option too :-) in post http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=233 then we can get best of both worlds :-)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

not sure I'm sold on this idea, as I dont really like the original interface. Also even if it could be used (ive spent very little time with the original interface) it would probably be a pain adding/removing apps etc. I personally use jolios, as it has nice icons to launch apps, has the features of ubuntu underneath, plus the jolicloud stuff and app synchronisation.

it's already possible to launch the o2 frontend under ubuntu, if you wanted to start with that and have a play. i would use the copying method, so you dont change anything on the internal flash.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

BuZz wrote:roobarb! - please could you also read http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 3736#p3736 and let me know if you have a similar issue when using wired connection? or if xbmc works fine for you on wireless and wired, or either or if you can cause a crash within a terminal on X by rsyncing a large file across. appreciate the help.
I've not seen any problems with XBMC on the version you've uploaded, BuZz, or perhaps I'm just not pushing things enough? Working fine on wired and wireless.

The right-click change is very good - much less twitchy than the Gnome implementation and you can right-click and drag the pointer over menus now too, which was always troublesome before. Seems really good. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

it could be something specific to my network or switch perhaps causing the freeze, but the vendor driver doesnt do it. however right now im working on 1 3.1 kernel - and hopefully that will work without vendor driver. i also want to try the in-kernel wireless again on this version. i might have another image for you to test if thats ok :-)

thanks for the feedback. I will get that change in my next distro rollup, and hopefully this newer kernel too.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

BuZz wrote:it could be something specific to my network or switch perhaps causing the freeze, but the vendor driver doesnt do it. however right now im working on 1 3.1 kernel - and hopefully that will work without vendor driver. i also want to try the in-kernel wireless again on this version. i might have another image for you to test if thats ok :-)

thanks for the feedback. I will get that change in my next distro rollup, and hopefully this newer kernel too.
No problem - do the I2C patches still work in the new kernel, or are they unnecessary now? Happy to test!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

buzz ,xbmc was crashing for me too so i tried switching skins now all is ok after this ,could it be skin specific ?
i was looking for the old joggler skin ,but could only find the confluence skin it works a treat [ have tried audio only] is this confluence touch ? because normal confluence has a vertical menu .
I would be more than happy to test stuff out on here but would need a guiding hand on what sort feedback you need; as my technical abilities so far are softmodding xbox 1s and joggler tinkering ;)
Cheers
Gary
Happy Joggling
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Ubuntu 11.10 / Oneiric Ocelot and further development

Post by BuZz »

It's possible due to bugs in the graphics driver, but the freezes I was having were only related to when network activity was happening.

the old joggler skin is probably not eden compatible, but you can add the repository and see. the xbmc on joggler is a bleeding edge git build. xeebo is the most touch friendly I have used so far.

I have another joli os image imminent to test. it's stable here, and if it works well, this will become a new release and the improvements done for other distributions

features:
* linux kernel 3.1
* evdev with right mouse emulation (as mentioned before)
* vendor ethernet driver (realtek r8168)
* xbmc build from oct 31
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

here it is http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/img/jolios-test2.img.gz

please note, this image has throttle temp set to 80c
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

BuZz wrote:here it is http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/img/jolios-test2.img.gz

please note, this image has throttle temp set to 80c
Up and running well here! The only issue I'm having is with the iPlayer add-on in XBMC. It won't load BBC One or BBC Two, and is being a little intermittent with other channels; it usually gets to 50% buffering and then stops. When it does play them it is silky-smooth, though. No issues with pre-recorded content (only with iPlayer Watch Live). Not sure if this is BBC or add-on related, though. I've been transferring files on and off the device a bit and no issues with the ethernet. Still bowls me over that the Joggler can play 1080p H.264 files absolutely perfectly.

I'm glad Florence has finally got a decent icon for the menu bar (that big block was ugly). And, a quick 'modprobe i2c-dev' and the I2C bus is available as /dev/i2c-0. Looking good! :)

You'll just get this released and Intel will wave those new drivers at us. ;)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

roobarb! wrote:[The only issue I'm having is with the iPlayer add-on in XBMC. It won't load BBC One or BBC Two, and is being a little intermittent with other channels; it usually gets to 50% buffering and then stops. When it does play them it is silky-smooth, though. No issues with pre-recorded content (only with iPlayer Watch Live). Not sure if this is BBC or add-on related, though. I've been transferring files on and off the device a bit and no issues with the ethernet. Still bowls me over that the Joggler can play 1080p H.264 files absolutely perfectly.

I'm glad Florence has finally got a decent icon for the menu bar (that big block was ugly). And, a quick 'modprobe i2c-dev' and the I2C bus is available as /dev/i2c-0. Looking good! :)

You'll just get this released and Intel will wave those new drivers at us. ;)
the iplayer thing is unrelated. switching the stream source preference to limelight fixed it. maybe akami is having troubles (same issue on my desktop), or they are doing some changes (bbc quite quite often mess with their streams etc).

i could have fixed the florence icon earlier, but didn't bother. it does look a lot better now they have switched it.

I could wait around for the new emgd, but it could be soon, or be delayed for weeks, so I'll not worry too much.

thanks for the testing.