SqueezePlay OS (Version 2) for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Andi

Re: SqueezePlay OS (Version 2) for OpenFrame

Post by Andi »

roobarb! wrote:This will always be the same - unless you've got root privileges, you can't mess with the system files. Only things in your user area.
But why is an auto-mounted external FAT32 drive mounted to root. Surely it would make more sense to be owned by the user "joggler"?
Just curious :-)
gegs

Post by gegs »

Linux is very security conscious and network aware, that's one of the reasons it is so robust and an excellent choice for multi-user environments. Windows has become more like that with UAC because, even though the "are you absolutely sure you'd like to do this" messages are a tad annoying, it does make for a safer system and only admins are allowed to do certain things.

In a single-user linux system we are only one user in a theoretical local network and only the admin (root) account is allowed to do certain things, like change read/write/execute permissions on system directories, which your FAT32 drive is; it's system storage. The root account has to enable ordinary user rights to system folders because users typically only have full RWX permissions on files in their 'home' directory. The root account can grant privileges to ordinary users if it trusts them (e.g. not to fill system storage with family holiday videos or virus-riddled freeware).

In short, a FAT32 drive isn't mounted to root, it is mounted as system storage with safety in mind. The root account can change this behaviour on a per-user basis or grant permissions on a global basis by editing the etc/fstab file.

That's my understanding anyway but I'm sure others may have a more accurate and elegant explanation.
Andi

Post by Andi »

Perhaps I should have said "mounted as root", apologies.

I'm aware of Linux's security in mind, however, security is pointless if you have to constantly override it (and get an elevated power that you shouldn't use frequently) in order to perform a task of little to no risk.
This is a custom setup of Linux server. We're quite capable of controlling the default behaviour of the actions to make it an easier user experience. The majority of users will probably keep the user 'joggler' as the main account.
Forcing someone to have to sudo root in order to copy some MP3s is far more dangerous for the rest of the file system than mounting the FAT32 drive to a non-root user, and therefore allowing access without any risk to root-copy c0ck-ups.

Making people use root to edit fstab, again, is more dangerous than pre-configuring the auto-mount to the default user. Surely?

We should be making this build as user-friendly to the Joggler user. Not the Ubuntu community. Not to linux experts.
But without compromising security by forcing user of lower linux experience to overuse the root privileges. Root is disabled as a login for a reason!
gegs

Post by gegs »

Andi wrote:This is a custom setup of Linux server. We're quite capable of controlling the default behaviour of the actions to make it an easier user experience.
Can this be made to work by default for all filesystems on a USB hard drive? Or would we need to specify that a drive will automount with mode 0777 (RWX) only if NTFS or FAT32 filesystems are used?

TBH I gave up on automount permissions ages ago because I couldn't get it to work properly when I used a Joggler/USB hard drive setup as a NAS. I haven't looked into it much since then. I ended up running the necessary mount command in console every time I re-attached my drive or rebooted, which wasn't very often.
Andi

Post by Andi »

Probably a question for Andy, the author, rather than me.
But I suspect so.

My NTFS drive didn't auto-mount, so I had to use fstab.
But it's permanently attached, and I knew all the settings from my previous server, which was a Raspberry Pi (which my Joggler has replaced).
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

gegs wrote:
Andi wrote:This is a custom setup of Linux server. We're quite capable of controlling the default behaviour of the actions to make it an easier user experience.
Can this be made to work by default for all filesystems on a USB hard drive? Or would we need to specify that a drive will automount with mode 0777 (RWX) only if NTFS or FAT32 filesystems are used?
We use usbmount to deal with, surprisingly, mounting USB devices. However, there's a little hiccup here, in that the root filesystem is often on USB as well. It gets mounted by usbmount alongside any other filesystem on USB. This really needs to be prevented, but currently isn't - so if someone can answer how to do that, or an alternative to usbmount, that would be lovely.

Bearing the above in mind, you could give this a try. It will tell usbmount to mount with the privs of the joggler (1000) use, but this will also apply to the root filesystem mounted by usbmount.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Re: SqueezeOS (Version 2) for OpenFrame/O2: USBIP

Post by roobarb! »

roobarb! wrote:
palindrom wrote:
The Ubuntu Kernel Team's config policy is to disable experimental options until it is requested they be enabled. Based on the information requested in this bug, I have enabled the following in the Precise 12.04 kernel:

CONFIG_USBIP_CORE=m
CONFIG_USBIP_HOST=m
CONFIG_USBIP_VHCI_HCD=m
Did anyone of you succeed installing USBIPD?
@roobarb!: Is there any chance to have those parameters enables in some future release of SqueezeOS?
Sure, sounds like fun to me! :)
I should have a USB/IP-ready kernel for you tomorrow to apply to SQPOS v2. It'll be 3.10.33, so some twiddling in the boot files will be needed, but it should work just fine. It'll appear here as 3.10.33op1_lucid when it's done.

NB. And you'll likely need to reinstall rt2870sta-dkms afterwards too.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

For those using the nightlys;

you may be interested in this:
mherger

Help us achieve an official 7.8.0 communityrelease

I think it's about time to move on. Here's the link to the 7.8.0 release
candidates:

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/Logite ... _v7.8.0rc/

Please give them some testing. Unless some serious problem crops up,
I'll declare that build in-officially released in a few days :-).

--

Michael
atb

Ronnie.
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Funnily enough just installed about an hour ago.

I have to say 7.8 has been running like a dream on my Joggler, I'd even go as far to say it's far more stable than 7.7 was before.
gegs

Post by gegs »

I'd have to agree. I'm not using the latest nightly but 7.8 is really good; I upgraded to 7.8 at the same time as switching to Ethernet, using one of the ex-betting shop Jogglers as my primary server. Not sure how much of the improvement has been due to the new LMS and how much to being wired, but my setup is really superb. It doesn't feel or respond like a system hack, it feels like a professional proprietary networked sound system.

I've set up 7.8 on a Joggler for my brother-in-law and it is an amazing server to his 3 real Squeezeboxes. He has a high-end hi-fi system and the Qobuz addon playing FLAC has to be heard to be believed, so good in fact that he's taken out the £20 a month FLAC stream subscription.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Before I fiddle around too much with my server setup or hassle Triode, has anyone had trouble with BBC radio streams? I can't get any BBC streams to play, either live or on demand. I also can't get BBC streams to play on the Radiofeeds UK & Ireland addon.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Never mind! I uninstalled the Triode iPlayer addon, restarted the server, reinstalled iPlayer, restarted the server and now all is well.
palindrom

SqueezePlay OS Version 1.56

Post by palindrom »

After updating to SqueezePlay Version 1.56 (SqueezeOS 2.06) my DACs, I tried several brands, are not playing any sound.
I assume I am missing some configuration:
Should I use Internal or External Interface (Interface Configuration); seems to make no difference any longer.
Playing around with the USB-Audio configuration is not doing the trick although it seems to recognize if I am exchanging the DAC.

Anny idea?

Edit:
Reset to defaults and enabling External Interface did the trick on one DAC.
The other one (USB PnP Sound Device) seems to miss the PCM Menu item.

Code: Select all

#/proc/asound/card1
USB Mixer: usb_id=0x0ccd0077, ctrlif=0, ctlerr=0
Card: C-Media Electronics Inc. USB PnP Sound Device at usb-0000:00:1d.1-2, full speed
  Unit: 9
    Control: name="Speaker Playback Volume", index=0
    Info: id=9, control=2, cmask=0x3, channels=2, type="S16"
    Volume: min=-7264, max=-16, dBmin=-2837, dBmax=-6
  Unit: 9
    Control: name="Speaker Playback Switch", index=0
    Info: id=9, control=1, cmask=0x0, channels=1, type="INV_BOOLEAN"
    Volume: min=0, max=1, dBmin=0, dBmax=0
  Unit: 10
    Control: name="Auto Gain Control", index=0
    Info: id=10, control=7, cmask=0x0, channels=1, type="BOOLEAN"
    Control: name="Mic Capture Volume", index=0
    Info: id=10, control=2, cmask=0x0, channels=1, type="S16"
    Volume: min=0, max=6096, dBmin=0, dBmax=2381
    Control: name="Mic Capture Switch", index=0
    Info: id=10, control=1, cmask=0x0, channels=1, type="INV_BOOLEAN"
  Unit: 13
    Control: name="Mic Playback Volume", index=0
    Info: id=13, control=2, cmask=0x0, channels=1, type="S16"
    Volume: min=0, max=6096, dBmin=0, dBmax=2381
  Unit: 13
    Control: name="Mic Playback Switch", index=0
    Info: id=13, control=1, cmask=0x0, channels=1, type="INV_BOOLEAN"
robinmarlow

Post by robinmarlow »

I have very happily had 2 jogglers running SPOS1. After upgrading one to SPOS2 I found it took quite a while to get all the menus back the way I had set them up. However this slightly puts me off doing the second! This is pure laziness but are the app settings transferable across versions? If so I could easily scp them across to my linux box to store them prior to updating. Or is this asking for trouble.

Thanks for the wonderful work you're doing on this - I find it even better than my SB3 that sadly died.

Robin
gegs

Post by gegs »

Assuming you are running SqpOS v2 from a USB stick, would all the menus be the same if you took your SqpOS version 2 stick, made an image of it then wrote the image to a new stick? I've never done this before but can't think why it wouldn't work.
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

gegs wrote:Assuming you are running SqpOS v2 from a USB stick, would all the menus be the same if you took your SqpOS version 2 stick, made an image of it then wrote the image to a new stick? I've never done this before but can't think why it wouldn't work.
There's a couple of things that could be an issue but possible to solve.

The Joggler gets a random MAC address at first boot which is then stored in a text file for subsequent boots. 2 devices with the same MAC is gong to confuse both your router and LMS.

The player name will be the same so will also need changing to avoid confusion.
palindrom

Post by palindrom »

see next
Last edited by palindrom on Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
gegs

Post by gegs »

I'd thought about the Squeezebox name problem but that's really simple to change. I never thought about the MAC address issue but should have.

Good info about where the user settings are; I think I'll back mine up to save time in future.
palindrom

Post by palindrom »

Hi All,

unfortunately the Joggler has no MAC address stored for eth0. Therefore a random MAC is generated during first start-up (after flashing).
But wlan0 has a MAC address.

To avoid a random MAC (=new DHCP IP) after any JogglerPlayOS reflash I recomend using the wlan MAC for ethernet adapter.
To maintain the same MAC address for WLAN and ETH is as well an need if you want to keep your settings (e.x. "DeskTop") after switch between WLAN and ETH.

just replace /opt/squeezeplay/bin/sqp_JogglerNetwork.sh

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

# sqpnetapply v1.04 (21st June 2012) by Andy Davison
#  Executed by JogglerNetwork - only used on SqueezePlay OS

DEBUG=0

readnetsettings() {

SETTINGS=`cat ~/.squeezeplay/userpath/settings/JogglerNetwork.lua 2>/dev/null`
	LOOPVAR=${SETTINGS}

if [ "$SETTINGS" != "" ]; then
		while echo $LOOPVAR | grep \, >/dev/null
		do

LOOPTEMP=${LOOPVAR%%\,*}
			LOOPVAR=${LOOPVAR#*\,}

VAR=`echo $LOOPTEMP | awk -F\= '{print $1}'`
			VAL=`echo $LOOPTEMP | awk -F\" '{print $2}'`

[[ "$VAR" =~ "settings" ]] && NIC="$VAL"
			[[ "$VAR" == "ssid" ]] && SSID="$VAL"
			[[ "$VAR" == "psk" ]] && PSK="$VAL"

[ $DEBUG -eq 1 ] && echo "This is the VAR = $VAR"
			[ $DEBUG -eq 1 ] && echo "This is the VAL = $VAL"

done
	else
		NIC="lo"
	fi

[ $DEBUG -eq 1 ] && echo
	[ $DEBUG -eq 1 ] && echo "The NIC is $NIC"
	[ $DEBUG -eq 1 ] && echo "The SSID is $SSID"
	[ $DEBUG -eq 1 ] && echo "The PSK is $PSK"

}

applynetsettings() {

# Build the interfaces file
	echo "auto lo" > /tmp/interfaces.tmp
	echo "iface lo inet loopback" >> /tmp/interfaces.tmp
	echo >> /tmp/interfaces.tmp
	echo "auto $NIC" >> /tmp/interfaces.tmp
	echo "iface $NIC inet dhcp" >> /tmp/interfaces.tmp

if [ "$NIC" == "wlan0" ]; then
		[ "$SSID" != "" ] && echo "wpa-ssid \"$SSID\"" >> /tmp/interfaces.tmp
		[ "$SSID" != "" ] && echo "wpa-psk \"$PSK\"" >> /tmp/interfaces.tmp
	fi

if [ "$NIC" == "eth0" ]; then
		wlanmac=`ifconfig -a | grep "wlan" 2>&1`
		if [ $? == 0 ]; then 
			wlanmac=`echo -n $wlanmac | awk -F\addr {'print $2'} | awk -F\  {'print $1'}`
			ethmac=`ifconfig -a | grep "eth"  | awk -F\addr {'print $2'} | awk -F\  {'print $1'}`
			sed "s/$ethmac/$wlanmac/I" -i ~/.squeezeplay/userpath/settings/*.lua
			echo "hwaddress ether $wlanmac" >> /tmp/interfaces.tmp
		fi
		echo >> /tmp/interfaces.tmp
		echo "auto wlan0" >> /tmp/interfaces.tmp
		echo "iface wlan0 inet dhcp" >> /tmp/interfaces.tmp
	fi

# Overwrite the previous interfaces file
	sudo mv /tmp/interfaces.tmp /etc/network/interfaces
	sudo chown root:root /etc/network/interfaces

if [[ "$NIC" == "wlan0" ]] && [[ "$PSK" != "" ]]; then
		sudo chmod 600 /etc/network/interfaces
	else
		sudo chmod 644 /etc/network/interfaces
	fi

}

if [ "$1" == "apply" ]; then

readnetsettings
	sleep 1
	applynetsettings
	sleep 1
	sudo reboot
	exit 0

elif [ "$1" == "reset" ]; then

rm ~/.squeezeplay/userpath/settings/JogglerNetwork.lua &>/dev/null
	rm ~/.squeezeplay/userpath/settings/DesktopJive.lua &>/dev/null
	rm ~/.squeezeplay/userpath/settings/SlimDiscovery.lua &>/dev/null
	sudo rm /etc/network/joggler-eth
	sudo rm /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
	sudo touch /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
	NIC="eth0"
	applynetsettings
	sudo chmod 644 /etc/network/interfaces
	exit 0

elif [ "$1" == "mac" ]; then

readnetsettings
	mac=`ifconfig -a | grep "$NIC" 2>&1`
	if [ $? == 0 ]; then 
		mac=`echo -n $mac | awk -F\addr {'print $2'} | awk -F\  {'print $1'}`
		echo -n "$mac"
	else
		echo -n "n/a"
	fi
	exit 0

elif [ "$1" == "ip" ]; then

readnetsettings
	if [[ "$NIC" =~ "wlan" ]]; then
		INTERFACE="Wireless"
	elif [[ "$NIC" =~ "eth" ]]; then
		INTERFACE="Ethernet"
	else
		INTERFACE=""
	fi
	IP=`ifconfig $NIC | grep 'inet addr' | awk -F\addr: {'print $2'} | awk -F\  {'print $1'}`

# Be really careful with this output. For any network fail the return MUST begin 'No network' for SetupWelcome applet.
	if [ "$INTERFACE" != "" ] && [ "$IP" != "" ]; then
		echo -n "$INTERFACE interface is active. Current IP: $IP"
	elif [ "$INTERFACE" != "" ]; then
		echo -n "No network address has been assigned to the $INTERFACE interface ($NIC)."
	else
		echo -n "No network has been configured or it is inaccessible."
	fi
	exit 0

else

echo "I've got nothing to do."
	exit 0

fi

If wlan0 is no present the MAC settings are ignored. Otherwise this will force eth0 to use the wlan0 MAC after 'reset'
palindrom

Re: SqueezeOS (Version 2) for OpenFrame/O2: USBIP

Post by palindrom »

roobarb! wrote: I should have a USB/IP-ready kernel for you tomorrow to apply to SQPOS v2. It'll be 3.10.33, so some twiddling in the boot files will be needed, but it should work just fine. It'll appear here as 3.10.33op1_lucid when it's done.

NB. And you'll likely need to reinstall rt2870sta-dkms afterwards too.
@roobarb: THX!
Unfortunately I have not been successful exchanging the kernel. I should wait for the next (internal) flash image.
If you have some instructions on how to exchange it I'll give it another try.