SqueezePlay OS (Version 2) for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
castalla

Re: SqueezePlay OS (Version 2) for OpenFrame

Post by castalla »

No idea!

I wonder if some programming guru could take the existing Airplay feature and just (it's that simple???!!!) add the bits to get the wav plugin working ....

I'm not sure if the existing Airplay feature installs with all the bits 'n' pieces, or whether enabling it just activates already existing code. If it's all there and ready to go, then maybe adding the additional stuff for the pipe to LMS could just be added.
castalla

Re: SqueezePlay OS Airplay integration with LMS

Post by castalla »

roobarb! wrote:
castalla wrote:I've come across some threads on the LMS forums where there's a way to get Shairport working in LMS. ...

Here's a working example for Ubuntu - if I can get another usb stick working, I might just try it:

http://confoundedtech.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... linux.html
Blimey, it's a round-the-houses route, but it might just work.

It's basically going iOS > AirPlay > 'Fake' Stream > WaveInput Plugin > Squeezebox(es), so instead of actually having to deal with AirPlay itself, LMS just receives WAV audio via the plugin and pushes it out to the Squeezebox. If it can push it to one, in theory it could push it to more.

I'll just say "Good luck"! ;)
I've been reading the instructions - I need some advice on how Airplay is enabled on SqpOS. Where is the command which starts the Airplay procees? In the confoundetech code, the Airplay server is started with:

sudo -u squeezeboxserver perl shairport.pl -v -a "Squeezebox Airplay" --pipe=/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/airplay-fifo.raw

I guess the Airplay server on SqpOS has a similar startup command ... ??? I think it would have to be changed to use the wavinput pipe?
castalla

Airplay - ShairTunes plugin

Post by castalla »

I gave up on trying to install Airplay redirected to LMS. I switched to the ShairTunes plugin route.

All went well without errors until I tried to compile the shairport-helper binary (as described in https://github.com/StuartUSA/shairport_ ... /README.md) which ended in a mass of error messages.

I'm stuck.

Anybody out there able to compile the appropriate binary file for the Joggler?

Or maybe this is all a dead-end?
castalla

ShairTunes plugin for LMS working!!!

Post by castalla »

Finally, I've got ShairTunes (Airplay) working on LMS. This allows you to Airplay to any player attached to the LMS. So, I'm now playing to a Touch from an Android smartphone (Huawei Y300).

Step 1. Stop the Airplay feature in SqpOS

Step 2. Follow the instructions given in https://github.com/StuartUSA/shairport_ ... /README.md Be sure to do an apt-get update before you install the dependencies.

BUT avoid the compile instructions.

Instead, use the static binary file posted at http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... post772304 (A big thanks to Ralphy!)

Be sure to make the binary executable.

Step 3. Make the changes to the file /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf:

Follow the instructions to restart avahi-daemon and LMS services.

Step 4. Install an Airplay app on Android - I used Honey Player.

Step 5. Enjoy
roughlychiron

Post by roughlychiron »

.... ok, got there in the end with resizing root partition etc .... installed Ubuntu on netbook and gparted worked perfectly .... have 6.5gb free now so hopefully my mates library won't swamp it anymore ....
gegs

Re: ShairTunes plugin for LMS working!!!

Post by gegs »

castalla wrote:Finally, I've got ShairTunes (Airplay) working on LMS. This allows you to Airplay to any player attached to the LMS...
Wow! That's great news. I'll definitely try this when I get some time. Being an Airplay noob, I'm assuming that I choose the server as the Airplay client from my iPad and Shairport will handle the delivery of the stream to other connected devices.
gegs

Re: ShairTunes plugin for LMS working!!!

Post by gegs »

castalla wrote:This allows you to Airplay to any player attached to the LMS.
Just for clarification, does this enable you to Airplay to any player (i.e. one player at a time) or to every player connected to the server? Does it only benefit people who are running real Squeezebox hardware that doesn't have the Airplay capability of SqpOS?
castalla

Post by castalla »

Hi!

First: I think it only works with one player at a time. But all connected players show up as airplay speakers.

Second: it's a LMS plugin, so it theoretically should work on all LMS servers ... but the install instructions above apply to Linux.

It doesn't depend on the SqpOS airplay feature - in fact, I disabled airplay on SqpOS before installing. In any event, the plugin needs a unique avahi conf file which probably wouldn't work with the airplay feature.

Edit:

I've noticed what may be a very bad bug - it could be just my setup - but on occasion the Touch volume has been reset to an ear-shattering 100 !!!! I need to test this further. I think it may be a problem with the Honey Player app I'm using as there aren't volume issues with Airsync.

Further tests with other players have failed to replicate the volume issue. I'd be interested in other's experiences with this plugin
Last edited by castalla on Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ttherapo

Post by ttherapo »

I have two questions: 1) I have 3 jogglers with SqueezePlay 2 and my iPhone doesn't detect joggler AirPlay service. I have iPhone 4 with 6.1 iOS, and AirPlay is enabled under settings/ advanced/
2) after installing lms I want to connect my nas box to the joggler. How can I do this? Nas ip:192.168.10.9 and shared folder is on nas is public/btdownload/Music
castalla

Post by castalla »

Can we assume that you have tried to enter the details in Settings > Advanced > Additional Features > Network Mount Point? If so, does the NAS have a username and password? It won't work if access is guest or anonymous. More details required.

If there is no password, then you will need to edit the fstab file on the Joggler
castalla

Airplay - Android apps

Post by castalla »

Finding a decent non-rooted app is a bit of a task for Airplay on Android.

I've wasted cash on Honey Player (buggy), DoubleTwist (poor ergonomics) until I hit on Streambels.

Streambels is free with both Airplay and DNLA connectivity. Recommended.
gegs

Post by gegs »

castalla wrote:Hi!

First: I think it only works with one player at a time. But all connected players show up as airplay speakers...
In that case I'll stick with the default Airplay feature in SqpOS because it works with all my Jogglers (individually). I may install this on brother-in-law's Joggler because he has it running as a server to three real Squeezeboxes.
gegs

Post by gegs »

I have deleted the JogglerStandby applet from /opt/squeezeplay/share/jive/applets on all my Jogglers.

Even though I had the above applet disabled, it would still kick in. This was a pain on my kitchen Joggler because it is a useful kitchen clock when not using Squeezeplay. It was even more of a pain running on my LMS server Joggler because when activated it would lose connection/sync to other devices, or at least that's how it appeared; connection problems only happened when the server screen was in standby.

I'll monitor the situation to see if removing the applet really was the solution to my sync/connection problems.
dwl99

Re: Airplay - Android apps

Post by dwl99 »

castalla wrote:Finding a decent non-rooted app is a bit of a task for Airplay on Android.

I've wasted cash on Honey Player (buggy), DoubleTwist (poor ergonomics) until I hit on Streambels.

Streambels is free with both Airplay and DNLA connectivity. Recommended.
Thanks for the Streambels tip, it's excellent
gegs

Re: Airplay - Android apps

Post by gegs »

castalla wrote:Streambels is free with both Airplay and DNLA connectivity. Recommended.
Streambels is only free for a 10 day trial according to the download page on Google Play.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

B*m - I hadn't clocked that :-(
gegs

Post by gegs »

They're promising Spotify compatibility in a future release of Streambels. I think I'll delay purchase till then.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I don't like any apps that don't make it clear on the search page that they time-limited. There isn't even a Pro version on the app store, it appears to be an in-app purchase to unlock it.
castalla

Post by castalla »

Rats! Didn't see the 10-day trial ....
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Are we talking airplay on android on Jogglers here? If not I am pretyy sure xbmc on android does airplay .
Xbmc is pretty good on my phone, you just need a finger friendly skin enabled :-)
Happy Joggling