Deleting Apps And Icons

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
denisP

Re: Deleting Apps And Icons

Post by denisP »

I left my laptop downloading it last night.
I'll try this tonight when I get home from work.
Many Thanks,

DenisP
dmp1967

Post by dmp1967 »

dwl99 wrote:I've uploaded a single image of the entire flash memory of a factory-fresh Joggler so feel free to give this a go (might be closer to midnight tonight until it's finished uploading):

First, use boot into Ubuntu from a USB stick and use gparted to delete all the Joggler's internal memory partitions. You should end up with exactly 980.5MB of unallocated space. Anything less than this and you have a fault with the internal memory. Next, open terminal & enter the following lines one at a time:

sudo mkdir /backup
sudo chmod a+rwx /backup
sudo wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1107587/mmcblk0.img
sudo dd if=/backup/mmcblk0.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1M
rm mmcblk0.img (optional if you want to remove the downloaded image from your USB stick)

The third line will take ages as it's a 1GB file. After you're done, close down Ubuntu, pull the power supply for a minute then reboot into Joggler OS. If that doesn't work then there is probably a fault with the internal memory.
I get an error when trying this.
message is "cannot write to mmcblk0.img no space left on device"
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Can I check that you have deleted all Joggler partitions using gparted (including clicking on the big green tick to apply the changes :-) )? What is the size of the resulting unallocated space? It should be 980.5MB.
denisP

Post by denisP »

Just tried it and after the dd copy of mmcblk0 I loaded gparted and there was a warning against each partition "No such filesystem".
I powered down and attempted to start with no luck, When I then rebooted it all looked ok other than the second partion which had been wiped.

I have reformatted this partion and I'm attempting this a second time.

I still think there must be a command to set mmcplk0p2 as the root.

Denis
dmp1967

Post by dmp1967 »

dwl99 wrote:Can I check that you have deleted all Joggler partitions using gparted (including clicking on the big green tick to apply the changes :-) )? What is the size of the resulting unallocated space? It should be 980.5MB.
Yes i did that and that was the size of the space.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Whenever I have flashed this image it has not been necessary to set any partitions as root. I think your Joggler has faulty memory - one of mine went this way.
denisP

Post by denisP »

Many thanks dw99, I just done my two Jogglers using the image you supplied.

It all went well, I hadn't realised they take a while to load the software once powered up.

I left them and after a minute or so the Openpeak and O2 screen brightened then went off then shortly after O2 and the blue screen appeared.

I'll now give eduponesarris his working Joggler back and customise mine.

Once again many thanks for your help.

DenisP
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

dmp1967 wrote:
dwl99 wrote:Can I check that you have deleted all Joggler partitions using gparted (including clicking on the big green tick to apply the changes :-) )? What is the size of the resulting unallocated space? It should be 980.5MB.
Yes i did that and that was the size of the space.
Try deleting all partitions with gparted again, format the whole of the internal memory to FAT32 & try flashing again. If that doesn't work I think you probably have faulty memory.
dmp1967

Post by dmp1967 »

dwl99 thanks I will give that a try later.

Tried to open gparted and get an error message saying "failed to run /usr/sbin/gparted as user root" and "unable to copy the users xauthorisation file"

any ideas?
denisP

Post by denisP »

dmp1967 your line should read "Sudo gparted" this allows gparted to write to the partition table.

The line to copy the data from the image should read "Sudo dd if=/backup/mmcblk0.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1M"

This assumes the mmcblk0.img has been downloaded into the /backup directory created on the memory stick.

Once you have deleted the partitions and copied the image to the Joggler menu, power down, remove the memory stick, wait a minute or so then power back up.
You then need to wait, the O2 or Openpeak screen will brighten then disappear and after a short while the screen will turn blue and the O2 Logo will appear. This process takes 1 to 2 mins and first impressions are its doing nothing, I tried numerous times before I left it alone and it all then worked.

DenisP
dmp1967

Post by dmp1967 »

I can't get into gparted anymore. It comes up with the error messages I put in my previous post.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Try burning a fresh image of Ubuntu onto your USB stick & reinstalling gparted. FWIW I have never needed to sudo gparted, it just worked.