Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
danjog2
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:01 pm

Re: Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

Post by danjog2 » Sun May 22, 2011 10:10 am

Ok, here's the nvram -a output

# nvram -a
net.dhcp=YES
net.wifi=YES
net.essid=dan-home
net.authtype=WPA-PSK
net.enctype=AES
net.key=mynetkey
net.wpatype=
net.login=YES
boot.stage=0
Finished

I'll have to do some reading up on SSH to work out how to browse the directory structure

danjog2
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:01 pm

Re: Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

Post by danjog2 » Sun May 22, 2011 10:57 am

OK

I'ved LS into etc / init.d / boot.d where I can see a load of files:

# cd boot.d
# ls
S05boot.localfs S12boot.network S69boot.sshd
S07boot.loadmodules S14boot.time
S10boot.localnet S56boot.daemons

Which do I fiddle with and how do I do it?

I guess I should use vi, but after doing vi S10boot.local.net I don't know what else to do.

Thanks very much for your help.

User avatar
roobarb!
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:30 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

Post by roobarb! » Sun May 22, 2011 2:57 pm

danjog2 wrote:Ok, here's the nvram -a output

# nvram -a
net.dhcp=YES
net.wifi=YES
net.essid=dan-home
net.authtype=WPA-PSK
net.enctype=AES
net.key=mynetkey
net.wpatype=
net.login=YES
boot.stage=0
Finished
Okay, nothing weird happening there...
birdslikewires.net - home of the Reflash System, SqueezePlay (OS) and various tools for the Joggler!

User avatar
roobarb!
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:30 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

Post by roobarb! » Sun May 22, 2011 3:23 pm

danjog2 wrote:Which do I fiddle with and how do I do it?
Think I misremembered which file you need to be looking at, as the update file (or what I'm guessing controls the updates) seems to live in /openpeak/tango as xinit.sh. Try this

Code: Select all

vi /openpeak/tango/xinit.sh
Scroll to the bottom and comment out all of the lines after '# Try to get an update for this device' with # characters, except for the last line that says 'done'. In vi, you do this by using the arrow keys to scroll as normal, then type 'i' to put you in insert text mode, then type the # character. Once you've commented out those 11 lines, press ESC and then type ':wq' and press return (that means write then quit). Then give it a reboot.

If I'm honest, this is guesswork on my part, as I don't exactly know when and under what circumstances this file would be run and get as far as the update check. However, if your Joggler is doing something like this then it should at least tell us whether this file is involved. I know it does no harm as I have one Joggler running with those lines commented out permanently; it was a check to see if it would prevent any further updates from O2... However, there never were any further updates, so I never found out if it worked!

Good luck!
birdslikewires.net - home of the Reflash System, SqueezePlay (OS) and various tools for the Joggler!

weeblies
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 5:04 pm

Re: Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

Post by weeblies » Sun May 22, 2011 5:37 pm

Help! Birdslikewires Reflash 1.03 works great on 3 jogglers (with up-to-date fware), but only if image put on usb (not from net). BUT TIME DOES NOT SET!
On 1st reboot, the Jogglers request 1st page of registration - then calendar which unfortunately mine couldn't access so never got things like "name of joggler" etc... mine
They all work fine BUT time does not get set - very frustrating!
While an unflashed joggler will prevent the command "ntpdate uk.pool.ntp.org" from native linux because "ntp in use", a flashed one allows this. So time-setting & maybe other things are not running after flashing. I believe it's connected to incomplete initial registration. But what can I do? Please help

eduponesarris
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

Post by eduponesarris » Sun May 22, 2011 8:22 pm

I have had a go at this as I installed Squeezeplayer, a version with no icon, then removed and re-installed the version with icon. All I was left with was the home button top left on boot which did not do anything. So I attempted the reflashing tool.

All goes on stick via Win32 Disk Imager, no problems, rebooted, comes up with "Stalling for network with a connection to ethernet in place. Tried it without ethernet and put file inside \image directory as stated. zipped and unzipped as I presume it would need to be unzipped but not sure. Still get the message stalling for network. Any ideas?

It was working fine streaming radio etc previously so I know the network connection was good. I definitely have no counters at all on the screen, although all initial mesages looked OK

J

eduponesarris
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

Post by eduponesarris » Sun May 22, 2011 8:53 pm

I have also tried it plugged straight into the Home Hub anf bypassing the computer, same result, it gets no further than "Stalling for Network......" I tried re-formatting the USB and writing the image again and copying the stock file into the image directory. What I have noticed is that the usb stick is reporting as only 126 Mb in size following the imaging. What I am also seeing as I type is now a screen full of errors... LOL

EXT2-fs (sda2): error: ext2_lookup: deleted inode referenced 7xxx
EXT2-fs (sda2): error: remounting filesystem read-only

The number varies as the error messages come up. IS this maybe due to the fact there is a flash drive added to the internal USB port?

J

danjog2
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:01 pm

Re: Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

Post by danjog2 » Sun May 22, 2011 9:15 pm

roobarb! wrote:
danjog2 wrote:Which do I fiddle with and how do I do it?
Think I misremembered which file you need to be looking at, as the update file (or what I'm guessing controls the updates) seems to live in /openpeak/tango as xinit.sh. Try this

Code: Select all

vi /openpeak/tango/xinit.sh
Scroll to the bottom and comment out all of the lines after '# Try to get an update for this device' with # characters, except for the last line that says 'done'. In vi, you do this by using the arrow keys to scroll as normal, then type 'i' to put you in insert text mode, then type the # character. Once you've commented out those 11 lines, press ESC and then type ':wq' and press return (that means write then quit). Then give it a reboot.

If I'm honest, this is guesswork on my part, as I don't exactly know when and under what circumstances this file would be run and get as far as the update check. However, if your Joggler is doing something like this then it should at least tell us whether this file is involved. I know it does no harm as I have one Joggler running with those lines commented out permanently; it was a check to see if it would prevent any further updates from O2... However, there never were any further updates, so I never found out if it worked!

Good luck!
Thanks! next free evening I get (Wed?) I'll get onto this.

eduponesarris
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

Post by eduponesarris » Sun May 22, 2011 10:31 pm

Been playing around a bit more, used the bash script for PMJ, everything came up as indicating OK, but still goes through the boot sequence, the I have date and time top right, and the home icon top left. The home icon dims when you touch it which implies the touchscreen is active, and after the relevant duration the screensaver kicks in with date and time, but no other icons available. I used the web access and it says No Installers, so I wonder if I have lost all apps by using the reflash procedure?

J

danjog2
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:01 pm

Re: Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

Post by danjog2 » Mon May 23, 2011 10:10 am

@roobarb! Just a thought I've had - although I haven't got the expertise to do it. Would it be possible to find "grep"? the text "will reboot in a few seconds" as that should be part of the process / subroutine called when my joggler has it's dicky fit?

jayjones
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 3:36 pm

Re: Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

Post by jayjones » Mon May 23, 2011 11:02 am

@roobarb! This works Great! Thanks!
- had to turn off ntp to set time, but that's cool.

Do you have a "Donate to Beer Fund" link, I owe you one ;)

Jay.

Utakos
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 2:03 pm

Re: Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

Post by Utakos » Mon May 23, 2011 10:21 pm

Works great after a few attempts, all but the last would flash up an error about partition or something and then start to download the new image, after download would then complain about not enough room and shut down, strange. All back to a new fresh Joggler apart from the no time update problem.

User avatar
roobarb!
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:30 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

Post by roobarb! » Tue May 24, 2011 9:57 am

weeblies wrote:Help! Birdslikewires Reflash 1.03 works great on 3 jogglers (with up-to-date fware), but only if image put on usb (not from net). BUT TIME DOES NOT SET!
I've not noticed this on my home Joggler, but I have a test Joggler here and you are correct. Comparing running services, ntpd -c /tmp/ntp.conf is the only one missing from this reflashed Joggler.

Luckily it would appear to be quite easy to fix. Just go to Settings > Date & Time and choose 'No' next to 'Use NTP'. Then go back and choose 'Yes'. My Joggler then updated the time with no troubles. It defaults to pool.ntp.org, but if you want it to use other servers (or the defaults of ntp.ubuntu.com and debian.pool.ntp.org) just tap on them in Settings > Date & Time and hit 'Save'. This writes those values back to the NVRAM.

I'll investigate further with regard to the initial network setup. There's an NVRAM setting called net.firsttime, but whenever I set it to 'yes' on this Joggler, Tango fails to restart.
birdslikewires.net - home of the Reflash System, SqueezePlay (OS) and various tools for the Joggler!

User avatar
roobarb!
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:30 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

Post by roobarb! » Tue May 24, 2011 10:00 am

eduponesarris wrote:Tried it without ethernet and put file inside \image directory as stated. zipped and unzipped as I presume it would need to be unzipped but not sure. Still get the message stalling for network. Any ideas?
The O2 reimage file must not be unzipped. It needs to be copied to the USB stick in exactly the condition it was downloaded in, otherwise it will fail the integrity check and be deleted.
eduponesarris wrote:What I am also seeing as I type is now a screen full of errors... LOL

EXT2-fs (sda2): error: ext2_lookup: deleted inode referenced 7xxx
EXT2-fs (sda2): error: remounting filesystem read-only

The number varies as the error messages come up. IS this maybe due to the fact there is a flash drive added to the internal USB port?
Hehe! Yes! That will definitely have an effect!

If your Joggler has hardware modifications there are no guarantees about how the USB bus will be behaving. It sounds in the first instance like your USB stick is not handling booting the reimaging system properly - random errors like the ones you mention are very likely a USB stick problem (at least on an unmodified unit). Try another one.

If it continues to fail, then it is likely that your hardware mod is interfering in some way.
birdslikewires.net - home of the Reflash System, SqueezePlay (OS) and various tools for the Joggler!

User avatar
roobarb!
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:30 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

Post by roobarb! » Tue May 24, 2011 10:09 am

eduponesarris wrote:Been playing around a bit more, used the bash script for PMJ, everything came up as indicating OK, but still goes through the boot sequence, the I have date and time top right, and the home icon top left. The home icon dims when you touch it which implies the touchscreen is active, and after the relevant duration the screensaver kicks in with date and time, but no other icons available. I used the web access and it says No Installers, so I wonder if I have lost all apps by using the reflash procedure?
I'm sorry, but this doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If you reflash your Joggler, you lose everything on it. Permanently. You're back to how it was when it first came out of the box.
birdslikewires.net - home of the Reflash System, SqueezePlay (OS) and various tools for the Joggler!

User avatar
roobarb!
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:30 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

Post by roobarb! » Tue May 24, 2011 10:11 am

danjog2 wrote:@roobarb! Just a thought I've had - although I haven't got the expertise to do it. Would it be possible to find "grep"? the text "will reboot in a few seconds" as that should be part of the process / subroutine called when my joggler has it's dicky fit?
Possible, unless the text is buried in an compiled .swf file. The trouble is, it may not help - if the issue is rolling around somewhere in OpenPeak's Flash GUI then I'm not the person to help you out. My Flash experience is pretty much nil, I'm afraid.
birdslikewires.net - home of the Reflash System, SqueezePlay (OS) and various tools for the Joggler!

User avatar
roobarb!
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:30 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

Post by roobarb! » Tue May 24, 2011 10:24 am

jayjones wrote:@roobarb! This works Great! Thanks!
- had to turn off ntp to set time, but that's cool.

Do you have a "Donate to Beer Fund" link, I owe you one ;)

Jay.
Thank you very much! I'm very glad it worked for you - and check the post above about getting NTP working again (basically just turn NTP off and back on again)*. :)

*EDIT: For the sake of correctness, this is not accurate. See this post for instructions.

I do have a donate link, as it happens... ;) Take a peek here - there's a button that says 'Donate Seeds'. I'll even post a pic of the pint, if you like!
birdslikewires.net - home of the Reflash System, SqueezePlay (OS) and various tools for the Joggler!

danjog2
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:01 pm

Re: Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

Post by danjog2 » Wed May 25, 2011 7:40 pm

roobarb! wrote:
danjog2 wrote:Which do I fiddle with and how do I do it?
Think I misremembered which file you need to be looking at, as the update file (or what I'm guessing controls the updates) seems to live in /openpeak/tango as xinit.sh. Try this

Code: Select all

vi /openpeak/tango/xinit.sh
Scroll to the bottom and comment out all of the lines after '# Try to get an update for this device' with # characters, except for the last line that says 'done'. In vi, you do this by using the arrow keys to scroll as normal, then type 'i' to put you in insert text mode, then type the # character. Once you've commented out those 11 lines, press ESC and then type ':wq' and press return (that means write then quit). Then give it a reboot.

If I'm honest, this is guesswork on my part, as I don't exactly know when and under what circumstances this file would be run and get as far as the update check. However, if your Joggler is doing something like this then it should at least tell us whether this file is involved. I know it does no harm as I have one Joggler running with those lines commented out permanently; it was a check to see if it would prevent any further updates from O2... However, there never were any further updates, so I never found out if it worked!

Good luck!
Thanks, did it and the bleeper rebooted 3 times but now it's been running a whole 15mins without a reboot. At the moment I don't care about the time so, so far so good.

Thanks a lot for your help.

EDIT: Forget that it was just lulling me into a false sense of security, the blink is now rebooting as if that was it's only purpose in life.

Utakos
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 2:03 pm

Re: Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

Post by Utakos » Wed May 25, 2011 9:33 pm

Joggler still will not update clock, turned auto on/off/on and saved servers but still defaults back to Monday, 21 September 12:00 any idea?

User avatar
roobarb!
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:30 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

Post by roobarb! » Wed May 25, 2011 10:34 pm

danjog2 wrote:EDIT: Forget that it was just lulling me into a false sense of security, the blink is now rebooting as if that was it's only purpose in life.
Argh! What the heck is it up to?!
birdslikewires.net - home of the Reflash System, SqueezePlay (OS) and various tools for the Joggler!

Locked