Best OS for viewing RTSP Stream for IP Camera via Ethernet?

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
JogglerTom

Best OS for viewing RTSP Stream for IP Camera via Ethernet?

Post by JogglerTom »

Hi all,

I've found this forum & taken the last few hours reading through various methods of configuring the Joggler. I've had one since for a good while but never got round to playing around with it - until now!

The pure (and, hopefully simple) use I'd want for my Joggler is to view an RTSP Stream of an IP Camera, connected via Ethernet (preferably). Hik-Connect is what I use on both Android & iOS; however after trying w/ Android - I can't get the App to download; nor does it (seem?) to have an Ethernet Driver (I was using file: joggler-android-ics.img).

Pretty much open to using whatever OS etc is advisable etc. The device is VLAN'd off anyway; so running something 'old' isn't a massive biggie.

If anyone does have any opinions; if you'd be kind enough to put them in laymans terms - even better! It'd be nice to use something like Android that isn't too complicated to use. Only issue is getting Hik-Connect installed...!

Thx all.
pete

Re: Best OS for viewing RTSP Stream for IP Camera via Ethernet?

Post by pete »

Welcome to the Joggler forum @JogglerTom.

I have not tried the Joggler Android build in a few years. That said using Ubuntu / Windows embedded on modded Jogglers.

Modded ==> 16Gb SSD drives for OS.

I do not utilize the Joggler's here (15 online 24/7) with RTSP streams. Years ago the Jogglers did stream fine from the Axis jpg servers.

Streaming video from Home Assistant is very slow. I do utilize the Jogglers today as touch interfaces to Homeseer and HA via Windows embedded.

You are better off purchasing an el cheapo Amazon Android tablet (or a refurbished tablet). My Android phone streams my Hikvision cams just fine via OpenVPN (PFSense).
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
JogglerTom

Post by JogglerTom »

Hi Pete,

Thanks for all of the information. Certainly it's a starting point in getting the Joggler to do something 'useful'. I've looked on the forums again (before replying) & it looks to be possible to install Windows 10? I keep seeing references to 'Seaboard' etc. Not quite sure what this means (and, more importantly if the information is applicable to my Joggler...!).

Given your extensive knowledge - would you be kind enough to give me any pointers on getting Windows going on the thing? I'd like Ethernet to work on it (preferably) - so don't know if that'd influence what choice(s) I have?

I don't mind having a USB stick in the side of it, either.

Thanks again, Pete!

Tom.
Last edited by JogglerTom on Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JogglerTom

Post by JogglerTom »

Sorry - correction, Seabios!
pete

Post by pete »

Seabios is a X86 replacment BIOS for the Joggler EFI BIOS.

Windows 8-11 works except that it is really slow. Embedded XP works the best.

Mine are running on a different Openpeak hardware similar to Jogglers but modded to run the OS on a SSD. You can run it on a USB stick but it is much slower.

Best to run newest Debian with stock bios and Opera as a browser for RTSP streaming or make the Joggler a LMS player.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

I've done this in the past... I think using mplayer. Just chuck the latest image Debian image on a stick, run sudo of-install mplayer, read the mplayer docs on how to hook up to an RTSP stream and it may well just dump the video feed to the display. At that point there's tonnes of advice out there for fine-tuning mplayer.

Good luck!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)