Reflashed OpenFrame2 with Roobarb's OS and now have sound!

Discussion for non Joggler hardware / software including software for devices that share similarities with the O2 Joggler Hardware. This section has been opened for discussion of things like the settings up the EMGD drivers on other hardware using Ubuntu, as discussion of this has been banned at the official Ubuntu Forums.
offbeatdave

Reflashed OpenFrame2 with Roobarb's OS and now have sound!

Post by offbeatdave »

Background:
A while ago I had a go flashing my OpenFrame2 thing with Roobarb's clean customised OS. Why? Well although I was able to run a custom PnP III on the unit, it randomly tried to update itself from somewhere and restarted Tango (the OS). This sometimes led to the loss of the webserver and consequently apps. It was also annoying when running Squeezeplay, iPlayer, the Lounge radio app etc. I have tried all the recognised methods of preventing these with now success.

Anyway, flashing was no problem. However I couldn't get the sound to work so I've been putting up with the Tango restarts and 'false' update alerts.

Solution:
I was going to post a question about this, but what usually happens is I spend ages fiddling, get stuck, post and then solve my problem myself. However, on this occasion I remembered something PeteC said in a thread about it possibly having different audio drivers/setup.

I had a poke around and found /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-lpia/kernel/sound/. The OpenFrame2 has a single alsa directory whereas the Jogglers have three - core, pci, USB. I tried changing the drivers in these directories for a start with no success.

Then I had a poke around in etc/init.d/boot.d/s07boot.loadmodules on the reflashed OpenFrame2 and found references to loading the sound drivers. In particular I noted the lines

Code: Select all

echo "Setting up ALSA drivers (frame 2)"

if [ -d /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-lpia/kernel/sound/frame2-snd ]; then
     rm -rf /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-lpia/kernel/sound/core
     rm -rf /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-lpia/kernel/sound/pci
     rm -rf /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-lpia/kernel/sound/usb

mv /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-lpia/kernel/sound/frame2-snd \
        /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-lpia/kernel/sound/alsa

NEED_RESTART="yes"
   fi

modprobe snd-hda-codec-idt
   modprobe snd-hda-intel
   modprobe snd-mixer-oss
   modprobe snd-pcm-oss
   modprobe snd-usb-audio
So I left the pci, usb, core directories from the reflashing the OpenFrame with Roobarb's image alone, added a copy of the alsa directory taken from the OpenFrame2 and then made another copy of the alsa directory with the name frame2-snd and rebooted.

The result when rebooted was that the part of the script posted above removed almost all the directories in /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-lpia/kernel/sound, leaving just the alsa directory and sound works!

Thanks to Roobarb for his image and to Pete for the indirect prompt/help which spurred me on to get this issue resolved. I can now (hopefully) enjoy a proper PnP III experience on the OpenFrame2 unit without the random partial reboots!
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
offbeatdave

Re: Reflashed OpenFrame2 with Roobarb's OS and now have soun

Post by offbeatdave »

Yipee. It survived a reboot anyway!

I'm now about to use Mint to back up the current setup before trying to extend into the free space with GParted.

Here goes...
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Oh, and for the record, I managed a whole month and 7 days without tinkering with Jogglers! Surely some kind of record for me! :D

However, in that time I must confess to extensive tinkering with an Android TV stick, a couple of Kindle Fire HDs and a couple of Nexus 7s! :shock:
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

It's the morning after the night before and everything is all working properly at the moment.

The sound is rather loud though. :shock:

I'm running the lounge radio on notch 1 of the 20 or so point scale and it really doesn't want to be any louder unless the whole house wants to hear it word for word! I've just altered the max volume tweak in the rcS file to bring it down a bit.

Today's test is how long can the Lounge radio app hold it's connection for - 20 minutes so far on my 16.7Mb connection whilst running a simultaneous continuous download.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

offbeatdave wrote:The sound is rather loud though. :shock:
Offbeatdave, is this the machine you got from BuZz with the big speakers at the front? Are you using the native speakers? If so, i'm really curious as to what the actual quality of the sound from those native speakers is like compared to a joggler, which - let's be honest - is pants.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:[...is this the machine you got from BuZz with the big speakers at the front? Are you using the native speakers? If so, i'm really curious as to what the actual quality of the sound from those native speakers is like compared to a joggler, which - let's be honest - is pants.
Yeah, it's the one with the built in speaker bar at the bottom. It's plenty good enough for me to be honest as it generally gets used as a web radio. It's lacking in bass but it's got a little more depth than the Joggler speaker.
pete

Post by pete »

Great news Dave!

The take apart of the Openframe 2 shows that the speakers are "beefier" with larger magnets on them. I have not had much time to play lately with them. That said I have two apart. One of them was dead so I took it apart literally cutting out the case. It was just a little smd fuse by the power input. I replaced it and it was good to go. The second one I was able to open the case using a screwdriver to push on the tabs and pop the LCD off the top of it.

The second one appears to have been some sort of experiment as some of the stuff on the motherboard appears to be soldered off of it and it is labeled with an O2 using magic marker on the motherboard. This one has a socketed flash boot chip on it.

On another one early on did try PnP3 and didn't get audio. I then tried an XBMC OS and did get audio from it. Next I also removed the pcie combo bluetooth wireless card and replaced it with a broadcom HD card to get streaming and live HD.

The above mentioned Openframe 2 with the speakers though is different than another Openframe 2 that I have. The other one looks like a Joggler but is way different in that it has two sound cards in it and the second one is part of the DECT handset audio for a phone hub. I have been using PnP3 on this one and the audio did work from the get go. Unique about this one is that they all have a zif connector in place for an SSD card and the socketed flash boot chip. That said I am running XP on these off of the SSD card booting just fine without needing to use USBoot. In fact I tested the install of xp using a regular boot cd rom drive installation. Here though it would be nice to be able to do the same with Ubuntu such that maybe you could install the base OS on the SD card or the SSD card. Two ways to do this; one is to modify the EFI boot such that it recognizes the SSD ZIF drive or just utilize the Seabios rewrite. The sound on this one though is the same as the O2 Joggler as the speakers are identically mounted facing the back of the Joggler. This one is like the "mini" telephone hub version of the Openpeak 2.0 unit.

It appears to me though that both of the above units are brand new and were sitting in some warehouse. The second smaller Openframe 2.0's though did come with the firmware mentioned here and do not call home. The larger ones appear to be configured new but not implemented Ayaya telephone hubs with a base OS with only a couple of flash widgets on it; not touched at all and never used.

I have tried to get the larger ones and have been able to get used "test" energy hubs and tested telephone hubs and the Ayaya hubs; these are reasonable in cost but not available yet. These are a bit more difficult to open up to modify and the flash boot on them is soldered in place. That said though I have removed the pcie bluetooth card and WLAN card and replaced it with a broadcom crystal HD card to stream HD on a custom OS XBMC.

The smaller O2 looking Openframe 2's are plentiful and actually more "modable" as they are identical to the Jogglers in assembly, work with firmware posted here (PnP3, Ubuntu, SqP, XP and PnP3). These have the socketed boot flash, WLAN USB stick, DECT phone stuff and a ZIF clip already soldered in place.

I did take "take apart" pictures of the two aforementioned devices. I can't find them now and may take new pictures.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
tschak

Post by tschak »

Which sound card is the one for the DECT units? I have some OpenPeak units that look like Jogglers, and curiously have the following output from alsa:

Code: Select all

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: MID [HDA Intel MID], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: MID [HDA Intel MID], device 1: STAC92xx Digital [STAC92xx Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
card 1: USB [VegaOne USB], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
is the VegaOne the DECT unit?

-Thom
pete

Post by pete »

Yup its the:
card 1: USB [VegaOne USB], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
direct the sound to this one and you will not hear anything. On the take apart notice that the microphone is in a little rubber ring on the side inside. It typically will kind of fall out of it. From the outside it just looks like a little pinhole. Don't make the assumption that it is some sort of reset button.

On the other hand the larger Openframe 2.0 does have a sort of reset button the motherboard. I didn't look for one on the smaller Openframe 2. It also has two LED network lamps on it and you can see the blinking when connecting to the network. All of these too have the Intel JTAG device zif connector on the top. I have read that these Intel JTAG machines are a bit expensive. Some of these also have a two pin connector marked DECT on the motherboard. I do not know what they are. The Realtek audio chip is also not the same one as in the O2 Joggler; but works in Linux and XBMC but not in XP. I am currently playing with a kind of problem child Openframe 2.0 machine right now in XP. This one in XP has a Gb NIC that works about 90% of the time. None of the others in XP mode work with the built in NIC card. The NIC card though works fine in the O2 base OS, PNP3, Linux and Android.

Be careful as with the O2 Joggeler taking them apart. I use a credit card and start from the botton and side clips moving slowly towards the top. You can fit a ZIF SSD over the WLAN USB card. The WLAN USB card though does get warm.

Like the O2 Jogglers I have added an extra USB port (2) to these such that I go out the back for USB rather than the side port.

Attached is the back or CPU side picture of the Openframe Joggler sized 2.0. This for sure has DECT. I am not sure if that big silver square thing is Zigbee or just the DECT chip. Notice right above it and to the left is a little antenna nipple. That said that white wire is an antenna wire; thinking its DECT. Attached too is the utility or energy hub. Note when it did a scan of Zigbee channels it actually does work. Thinking though too this had a DECT chip. Not remembering now if this one has two or one Gb of internal flash ram. The bigger Openpeak 2.0 does have 2.
Attachments
MB-1.jpg
pics-2.jpg
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
tschak

Post by tschak »

Has anyone read the chips off the DECT part of the board? I _REALLY_ want to cross reference them to a data sheet, so that I can at least start hammering on some sort of driver, or find a way to talk to the fucking thing.

-Thom
pete

Post by pete »

Thom,

I am guessing you have one today. Take it apart; easy; be careful and look yourself. You will need a bright light and a magnifying glass.

I use one of those large circular lamps with a large magnifying glass in the middle.

Today here working a couple of different means to sense for when I get mail delivered.

Today its just a vibration sensor (very small thing) and thinking of adding optics to it and upping the vibratin sensor with a debounce circuit.

A repost from the forum here tells you what companies where using the Openpeak:
Usage: ResetConfig <Client>
Where <Client> must be one of the following:
openpeak o2 telefonica telefonicaflash verizon cox avaya thomson telstra telio openpeaksdk swisscomflash comed openpeakdemo_energy# ./ResetConfig openpeaksdk
Checking customer configuration
Device Configured for <openpeaksdk>
Initializing NVRAM
Reseting Hardware Clock
./ResetConfig: line 205: RTCReset: not found
Erasing sum1...
Syncing
Here are some close up pictures of an Openframe board with pieces (or complete) DECT stuff and Zigbee...on this forum that I posted:

- Pete

Auto mater