Annual ALSA Appeal

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
roobarb!

Annual ALSA Appeal

Post by roobarb! » Fri May 17, 2019 2:26 pm

Hey everyone,

I'd really like to release a base image which uses a kernel newer than 3.18. I have in fact had kernel 5.1 working very nicely. However, the only thing stopping me from doing so is the STAC9202 chip used in the OpenFrame 1 (Joggler) - the pin assignment is all to-pot, such that connecting headphones doesn't mute the internal speaker (it actually mutes the headphones you've just connected) and only one channel (left) is active.

In theory this is not the most troublesome thing in the world to sort out - pin configurations can be altered and ALSA reloaded - but I have had zero luck in getting a configuration which works, so I need somebody who has more than a rudimentary knowledge of ALSA.

If there's anyone out there who feels they can help, here is a link to the communication I've had with folks on the alsa-devel mailing list. Here's a link to some photos of the IC on the board, along with the spec sheet and here is a link to a test version of Ubuntu Disco running with kernel 5.1.3 - may as well work on the very latest. There are no audio kernel patches applied - just the backlight driver code, a tweak to make sure the backlight driver is used and a tiny patch for the I2C bus.

With the above and a Joggler to play with, I'm sure someone with better knowledge than I can figure this one out. If someone has the knowledge and no Joggler, I'd be very happy to supply one for testing.

Fingers crossed!
birdslikewires.net - home of the Reflash System, SqueezePlay (OS) and various tools for the Joggler!

pete

Re: Annual ALSA Appeal

Post by pete » Sun May 19, 2019 10:25 pm

I'll help...started my post here by rewriting (by accident your post)......sorry about that.

Will give it a go...
- Pete

Auto mater

roobarb!

Re: Annual ALSA Appeal

Post by roobarb! » Mon May 20, 2019 9:03 am

Cheers, Pete - I've been backwards and forwards with it, but the rabbit hole never ends!
birdslikewires.net - home of the Reflash System, SqueezePlay (OS) and various tools for the Joggler!