THINGS TO TRY IF DATE/TIME/INTERNET DON'T WORK

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
offbeatdave

THINGS TO TRY IF DATE/TIME/INTERNET DON'T WORK

Post by offbeatdave »

EDIT 14th JUNE 2012 - THE NEW OPENPEAK REFLASHER FROM THIS POST SHOULD FIX THESE ISSUES

Lots of people are having problems in different threads so I thought I'd sum up the things I do in one thread. Please report successes, failures or other helpful suggestions in this thread. This'll make things easier to find for future reference too!

Please bear in mind that I only ever connect wirelessly so that's all I can personally comment on. These are things I do on a mix of O2/OpenPeak boot logos, pre/post update 'clean' Jogglers and pre/post update PnP III'ed Jogglers.

When setting up the connection in the first instance:
*Settings->Network->(Edit)->Connect Wirelessly
*Find the network and enter the SSID and let it try to find the rest automatically. It may just work. What mine sometimes do is associate but give me an 'error' message, before restarting the interface with full connectivity.

If it doesn't then try to set up the network manually by going through:
*Settings->Network->Edit->Advanced
*Select the network and pop in the SSID. Then turn of DHCP. You will now need to add the IP address and so on manually.
[b*]Make sure the IP is within the range allowed by your router and doesn't conflict with other items on your network.[/b]
My router works on IP addresses in the range 192.168.2.2->192.168.2.99 so I assign my Jogglers addresses in the 192.168.2.90->99 band.
You can find your gateway, subnet and Primary DNS server via your router's settings page. Mine are just the standard 192.168.2.1, 255.255.255.0 and 192.168.2.1 respectively. I don't use a proxy server or a secondary DNS setting. 192.168.2.1 is the IP of my router. Note that when I do this, the Joggler's don't appear in my routers list of 'attached' items, but all 7 are definitely connected and working!
*Apply the changes. Again, you may get an 'error' message before a restarting of the interface.

Even if you get an 'error' box at any stage in the process, you may actually have internet connectivity!
Check web-enabled applications. On the original (blue) o2 version, this could be the Radio app or News feeds (until they are disabled!) or on the updated (colourful) OpenPeak interface, you could try Google Maps, Weather or USA Today. Failing that, as a last resort try a reboot. On a PnP III'ed Joggler the obvious thing to check is the Internet app which uses Opera Browser.

My issues setting date and time via the NTP time server have always been resolved by either:
*Simply rebooting the Joggler
*Changing the primary time server to uk.pool.ntp.org and leaving it (and then the interface automatically picks up the time)
*Changing the primary time server to uk.pool.ntp.org and rebooting the Joggler

As I say, please report successes, failures or other helpful suggestions in this thread.
Last edited by offbeatdave on Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
offbeatdave

Re: Things to try if date/time/Internet don't work

Post by offbeatdave »

Right, I have posted on the end of the other threads asking about these things, so hopefully that'll round them off and continue the discussion/questions in this single thread!
MalP

Post by MalP »

Tried your suggestions regarding time date and changing server settings. No joy as yet even after a reboot. Also every time I load google maps get USA residence. I wish it uk. When I put my own address in comes up but next time I open back to the USA one

Do appreciate your summary even I'd did not work. I am just an ordinary user so get a bit loss with the tech stuff. Like line by line instructions. Thanks Mal
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

pukington wrote:Offbeatdave, great work on this update, am loving the new version!!

I had this problem, where you try and join the wireless network (didn't try wired) and having found the ssid and entered the password you can't connect to the network. I'll post my details of a fix, i know others have but they seem a little lost in the thread. Its a DHCP issue.

Go into Settings - Network

Click the Edit button followed by Advanced.

Enter your Network Type (wireless), Network Name (select your network) your Network Key (network password), turn off DHCP, add a good unused ip address (good example 192.168.0.120), add the gateway address of your router (usually 192.168.0.1), subnet (usually 255.255.255.0), I also added Primary and Secondary DNS. You can google your isp to find DNS details, or find them via a pc connected to the network in the (this case Windows 7) Control panel - network and sharing center - Local Area Connection Status (in my case this is a wired pc) and click the Details button).

I also suffered the date and time issue of it not autoupdating, I solved this by changing the primary NTP server to chronos.csr.net .
Yipee! I'm not the only one who has got it to work!
offbeatdave

Re: THINGS TO TRY IF DATE/TIME/INTERNET DON'T WORK

Post by offbeatdave »

jogglingbottoms

Post by jogglingbottoms »

I have also had success!!! Woo hoo!!!!
I now have PnPIII running on the updated OpenPeak firmware.

The way I did it:

I reflashed the Joggler right back to the original firmware using the birdslikewires flashing tool.
I then updated to the new OpenPeak software, the first one posted before they asked for it to be removed from this site. Using this firmware I was hoping to avoid the Telnet issues that some have had with the latest updated update.
I then connected the Joggler wirelessly to the net. The very first thing it did after connecting to the net was to update to the very latest OpenPeak firmware. This was before I could stop it or do anything else. I was then obviously worried that the update would then prevent me from Telneting in when I tried to install PnPIII.
Once everything had updated I then went to the advanced settings in the Network and copied down all the settings after turning off DHCP i.e. ip address, gateway address, subnet and primary DNS. In that way I knew the settings that worked for me before installing PnPIII. I think my mistake previously was trying to guess these settings. I then turned on DHCP again and popped in the PnPIII usb stick.
I then tried to Telnet into the Joggler and it connected. Phew, because I wasn't expecting it to. I followed all of OffBeatDave's instructions and everything loaded beautifully.
Once PnPIII had installed I tried connecting to the net but as expected, it wouldn't. I then went to the network settings, clicked on advance and entered all the settings that I had copied down before. I left the secondary DNS blank and saved everything.
It then connected to the net straightaway, updated the time and date, and everything works fantastically.

I know that some of this is a duplication of OffBeatDave's post and other posts but I thought that some may like to know exactly how it worked for me. Many thanks OBDAve and everyone else involved in the production of PnPIII.

JogglingBottoms
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Nice one! It's great that we're getting some success stories on here tonight!
Also, it's better if these issues are kept to this thread so thank you to the previous posters for doing this. Much appreciated.
dave64k

Post by dave64k »

None of the date/time suggestions have worked for me.

Got through to someone at O2 who is investigating

Their first Q was had I hacked or was it the official O2 update.......so not holding my breath.
cotton

Post by cotton »

I know that some of this is a duplication of OffBeatDave's post and other posts but I thought that some may like to know exactly how it worked for me. Many thanks OBDAve and everyone else involved in the production of PnPIII. :cry:
dave64k

Post by dave64k »

Spoke to someone at O2. They have taken the mac address of my joggler and are going to reflash the device to see if that fixes the problem. I think that means they will kick off another update to my joggler. Will see if that does anything

Update....nothing so far although looking at the emails it's the folks at Open Peak who are doing this work.
pete

Post by pete »

My Joggler's is running fine these days with Dave's PnPIII. It never did update as I have left it on 24/7 now all this past week.

The time on mine is basically localized to an internally set up NTP server connected to a GPS. What appeared to be happening was that it was trying to get the time before connecting to the network. None the less its working just fine.

Thank you offbeatdave for providing the Joggler users with such a great update (PnPIII) / FAQ for fixing stuff!
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
danjog2

Post by danjog2 »

Very, very helpful advice, sorted my jogglers with these instructions.
fester61

Post by fester61 »

Brilliant set, DHCP off, subnet and DNS as per the other devices on my network. Hey presto! I have a usable joggler . :D Great work offbeatdave.
monkums

Post by monkums »

offbeatdave wrote: *Changing the primary time server to uk.pool.ntp.org and leaving it (and then the interface automatically picks up the time)
Managed to update Joggler No.2 but had the time not setting issue. Changing the time server worked for me but as a quick tip use uk.pool.ntp.org for both primary AND secondary.

This was the only way I could get it to work.
dave64k

Post by dave64k »

monkums wrote:as a quick tip use uk.pool.ntp.org for both primary AND secondary.
Unfortunately this hasn't worked for mine :(
monkums

Post by monkums »

dave64k wrote:
monkums wrote:as a quick tip use uk.pool.ntp.org for both primary AND secondary.
Unfortunately this hasn't worked for mine :(
Looks like I spoke too soon as mine has stopped again now :(
dave64k

Post by dave64k »

I've done some looking around and found this thread

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuTime

I wonder if there is someone of the forum who can check if the ntp file on the current Joggler update is set correctly?
dave64k

Post by dave64k »

dave64k wrote:I've done some looking around and found this thread

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuTime

I wonder if there is someone of the forum who can check if the ntp file on the current Joggler update is set correctly?
Maybe with an time/date of 2009 the joggler has drifted too far so the ntp service "gives up"?
dave64k

Post by dave64k »

Just had this reply from a tech at Open Peak.........

"Yes, we did try a refresh over the weekend that was not successful. We may need to use a USB memory stick to reload the code and set the date properly on your unit. We are in the process of creating and testing this USB memory stick and will get it to O2 to provide to you as quickly as possible. Sorry for the inconvenience."

Will keep you posted.
monkums

Post by monkums »

After a frustrating couple of days trying to get Joggler No.2 in the kitchen to pick up the time from an ntp source I might have stumbled on a partial reason. Wifi signal strength.

I tried to set up the network connection again only to get an error message about not being able to connect to the internet despite having successfully done it before. This particular Joggler sits in the kitchen and is in an area that has an iffy wifi signal. So as Joggler No.1, which is in the lounge, has no issues I decided to swap them. Bingo. Joggler 2 booted showing the correct time and Joggler 1 has the time/date issue.

However this seems specific to the Joggler/o2/PNPIII as if I boot from a stick straight into Squeezeplay OS then everything is fine.

Are those having issues on wired or wirless? And have you got a good signal?