PnP Mk II - Superceeded by PnP III (May 2012)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Rob2404

Re: PnP Mk II - Here it is!

Post by Rob2404 »

Hi All, but mainly Offbeatdave. Iv'e had the joggler a few years and loved it until the update this morning which is rubbish. Then found the pnp software which does everything i want i.e internet radio/sky sports new.... i downloaded the software but after reading this i understand i cant update it with this update on it. few questions

1 - Are you or someone doing a update for the new software so i can install it on the joggler as i love to get that on here :)
2 - do you keep the usb stick plugged in to the jogger once the pnp software is installed?
3 - i was reading you have to have a clean joggler to install the software (how do you wipe the software off it?)
4 - i loved the messaging app but understand that its gone forver(bloody O2) would whatsapp work on it?

Thanks
Rob
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Rob2404 wrote:Hi All, but mainly Offbeatdave. Iv'e had the joggler a few years and loved it until the update this morning which is rubbish. Then found the pnp software which does everything i want i.e internet radio/sky sports new.... i downloaded the software but after reading this i understand i cant update it with this update on it. few questions

1 - Are you or someone doing a update for the new software so i can install it on the joggler as i love to get that on here :)
2 - do you keep the usb stick plugged in to the jogger once the pnp software is installed?
3 - i was reading you have to have a clean joggler to install the software (how do you wipe the software off it?)
4 - i loved the messaging app but understand that its gone forver(bloody O2) would whatsapp work on it?

Thanks
Rob
1 - Check outhttp://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=555 for news on Pnp III for pre and post update Jogglers. It's almost ready so I'd hang on a little longer. The PnP III pre-update version is slightly improved on the PnP Mk II version.

3 - To restore the clean image, check out the reflashing tool from birdslikewires.co.uk

2 - Regarding PnP, once set up the USB stick can be removed.

4 - No idea really about whatsapp but a quick look at the website leads me to think that no, it won't as it doesn't appear to be a swf app.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

8th May 2012 21:43BST - PnP III for pre and post OpenPeak updated Jogglers available from http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 9473#p9413 . Please remember that it is a little rough around the edges at the moment!
jkn

How to get around 'stock' O2 registration screen?

Post by jkn »

Hi all
(possible not totally related to PnP II, apologies if so)

As an interim measure, and after 'up'grading one of my Jogglers to the latest O2 firmware, I decided to have a look at PnP II, with a view to later moving to PnP III.

Firstly, I reverted to stock O2 firmware using the reflash tools from birdslikewires. This came up with the 'register your account' prompt, to enter username, email etc. I ignored this and proceeded to install PnP II - all fine.

I was expecting that (especially given the recent withdrawal of support) that this registration would go away. but now every time I reboot the Joggler it comes up.

Do I need to actually (re-)register with O2, or is there a way of disabling this request?

Thanks a lot

Jon N
offbeatdave

Re: How to get around 'stock' O2 registration screen?

Post by offbeatdave »

jkn wrote:Hi all
(possible not totally related to PnP II, apologies if so)

As an interim measure, and after 'up'grading one of my Jogglers to the latest O2 firmware, I decided to have a look at PnP II, with a view to later moving to PnP III.

Firstly, I reverted to stock O2 firmware using the reflash tools from birdslikewires. This came up with the 'register your account' prompt, to enter username, email etc. I ignored this and proceeded to install PnP II - all fine.

I was expecting that (especially given the recent withdrawal of support) that this registration would go away. but now every time I reboot the Joggler it comes up.

Do I need to actually (re-)register with O2, or is there a way of disabling this request?

Thanks a lot

Jon N
I found that you can put any old guff in the registration boxes. The Joggler name is up to you, the email box needs a space in it to be able to OK it and the number box just needs a single digit in it. This should then disappear and never trouble you again!
jkn

Post by jkn »

Thanks offbeatdave, I'll give that a try tonight ;-).

Cheers
J^n
jogglingbottoms

Post by jogglingbottoms »

I've had a Joggler for a couple of years and very much appreciate all the hard work undertaken by people to make it more useful. I have installed PnPII successfully but found that when using PnPIII I just can't get a connection to the net. I've searched these forums and tried, to the best of my ability, to follow the suggestions made to get it to work i.e. DNS settings, but it just won't connect. I've installed PnPIII successfully by both methods i.e. pre and post OpenPeak update, but neither will connect to the net.

Having two daughters who like all the games that are installed with the latest OpenPeak update I'm in a quandary. I personally would prefer just to reflash the Joggler and run PnPII but obviously that doesn't include all the games. Is there a way to install the latest OpenPeak update and then to add on PnPII by Telneting in? I have a copy of the first OpenPeak update that allows Telneting in, but I am a complete Linux Dummy. Is this possible to do? If it is, what commands would I need to type in to make it happen?

Many thanks to all in particular offbeatDave.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

jogglingbottoms wrote: I personally would prefer just to reflash the Joggler and run PnPII but obviously that doesn't include all the games. Is there a way to install the latest OpenPeak update and then to add on PnPII by Telneting in?
May I ask why you want to use PnP mk II? :?:

PnP Mk II has been superceeded by PnP III! PnP III contains everything that works from PnP Mk II and removes or fixes stuff that doesn't (like the old weather apps). There really is no need or benefit from using PnP Mk II. Also, PnP Mk II won't work completely on the OpenPeak update.
jogglingbottoms

Re: PnP Mk II - Superceeded by PnP III

Post by jogglingbottoms »

If I could get my PnPIII to connect to the net I'd certainly prefer to use it. However, having tried all suggestions over many hours it simply won't allow me to go online. As such, I can't use it. Therefore, I was hoping that there'd be a way to have openpeak's new update working with PnPII. Again, many thanks for everything you've done for us all already Dave.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

jogglingbottoms wrote:If I could get my PnPIII to connect to the net I'd certainly prefer to use it. However, having tried all suggestions over many hours it simply won't allow me to go online. As such, I can't use it. Therefore, I was hoping that there'd be a way to have openpeak's new update working with PnPII. Again, many thanks for everything you've done for us all already Dave.
Sorry, PnP III was the result of making PnP mk II work on the Openpeak software!
photor

Post by photor »

mark
ordessa

Post by ordessa »

would appear that the new O2 s/w when coupled with PnPIII (and I DO NOT think this is PnpIII problem) stops you using DHCP.. so the system wont ack the DHCP lease.
Even in Wireless where it sees a WEP SSID...wont connect after

looks like it cant ack the DHCP packets..
if you over ride it by "advanced"... allocate a static on the router.... - provide these details to your Joggler ALL is well..
works fine for wired and WEP access on wireless

so to the guys/girls who found this... WELL DONE...it DOES work!

and once again Plug & Pimp Rocks... - theres a pint on the tab from me!!!!
gegs

Post by gegs »

offbeatdave wrote:
Richard Boyce wrote: [Edit 2]

I think I have finally tracked down the source of the problem, though I don't understand enough yet to figure out a solution beyond using comments in the .shx file. The problem is caused by the attempt to prevent Openpeak updates.
Ah, if that's it just delete that section before installing.

EDIT: And if this is the problem on PnP'ed Jogglers then restore /openpeak/tango/fp_class_modules/libOPUtil_backup.so to /openpeak/tango/fp_class_modules/libOPUtil.so

You may be onto something here...
I've also noticed constant internet activity with nothing switched on that would access the internet other than the Joggler. Would it be safe to restore the above-mentioned file now, or would it be best to wait awhile. Having just installed PnPIII and set up LMS all over again, I don't want another Openpeak update thrust upon me.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

That post referred to a ham-fisted attempt to stop updates but just hammered bandwidth continually so it was taken out. Later versions of PnP Mk II didn't have this feature and PnP III has never had it. PnP III'd Jogglers (and PnP Mk II Jogglers are at the mercy of whatever OpenPeak throw at them.