Small Broadcom WLAN card with antenna outputs for Joggler

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
pete

Small Broadcom WLAN card with antenna outputs for Joggler

Post by pete »

I modded the old internal Joggler WLAN card such that I could connect it to an interiorly wired USB port. That said its still a bit big with the SSD USB memory stick that I am using and the two adjacent cards are getting too warm.

Someone on the forum mentioned a smaller broadcom USB wireless device with two antenna connections. I can't seem to find the post and went searching on the internet for a small footprint broadcom card to fit inside of the Joggler.

Can anyone make a suggestion for a small footprint wlan broadcom card that I could use inside of the Joggler?
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
inaxeon

Re: Small Broadcom WLAN card with antenna outputs for Joggle

Post by inaxeon »

Last edited by inaxeon on Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

Actually I've just had another thought. Many USB wireless sticks have footprints for switched test connectors. These connectors aren't designed for connecting external antennas though, instead they're for testing the on-PCB antenna. When a probe is connected, they act as a switch, breaking the signal from the radio and routing it from the on-PCB antenna up to the test probe.

They're rarely fitted in production, instead usually replaced by a small zero ohm link (Say, 0402 sized)

Page 2 of this (http://www.murata.com/products/catalog/ ... _l0390.pdf) has a good picture

Anyway, the good thing is that these connectors are exactly the same size as the more familiar U.FL connector (seen on page 1 of the aforementioned datasheet), needed for the Joggler. It's quite easy to solder a U.FL connector onto their footprint, making a perfect external antenna connection. Just have to be careful you solder it on the right way otherwise you'll have a connection to the on-PCB antenna, not the radio! Oops!

Even better, once you've done that, you can reduce the card's size by hacksawing off the internal PCB antenna.

Failing all of that, You can just hack the antenna off any old USB Wifi card, and strip back/solder the Joggler's antenna the cables in place. The Joggler's antenna cables are PTFE jacket, so they don't mind the soldering iron one little bit.
pete

Post by pete »

Thank-you inaxeon. Watching the temperatures and they have remained OK with the two devices; WLAN (original minus USB port) and USB SSD stick.

I've moved said "test" Joggler into production for the time being and its doing well. Last week ordered a CF reader board that I might tack to the back of the Joggler.

My combo workbench with magnifying lamp would be ideal for these "getting old" eyes modifications. I did recently purchase a soldering station with multiple tips; don't know why I waited so long to purchase one.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater