New OpenPeak firmware update (30th April 2012)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
BuZz
Site Admin

New OpenPeak firmware update (30th April 2012)

Post by BuZz »

I just received a mail from a friendly developer/innovation person at O2.

The mail contained information about the update that is being rolled out and a link to the firmware update to download as well as a nice comment about the forum and my joggler work. Of course, the forum is a community effort, so thanks to everyone for that :)
We thought you may like a copy of the new firmware, possibly to host on your excellent forum and website.
I personally would like to thank you for your forum and your work which has brought me many hours of fun with my Joggler.
Really great to know the resources we have here are even being used by the O2 devs etc :)

I'm sure you are all itching to check out the update right?

Get the download here:

[ download removed for now - see below]

Unpack it and write it to a usb stick with Win32 disk imager for example (or dd on linux). The USB can then be used to flash a Joggler by booting from it.

Thanks again to the O2 developers.

* UPDATE - May 10th 2012 *

FROM o2:
The new OS update (openpeak) - Our roll out took a little longer than expected so we expect the whole base to have received the reflash by the 18th May.

The apps we are removing - I noticed some people moving back to the old O2 builds using the tools your community created (fantastic work) but this may cause some problems. The Joggler update is intended keep the device functional for the general users after we end support for the Joggler. This includes removal of some apps including Radio, Sky news, Traffic etc as the feeds that supply them are also being ceased.

The image we sent you - After the Google Calendar error an update was made on the server side to fix this however it was also realised there was a new version of the OS that Openpeak had access to. We are awaiting this being sent to us by the manufacturer but this is the version we are remotely updating the rest of the jogglers (from the 8th onwards). Would you mind taking down the image we sent you and i will ask that the new image is sent to you as soon as we have it (expect some time next week).
roobarb!

Re: New OpenPeak firmware update (30th April 2012)

Post by roobarb! »

That's fantastic! I'd been wondering what might happen to the OS code, because there will come a day when OpenPeak are no longer hosting it and it's not nice to be on shaky ground re-hosting without permission.

I'm also intrigued to see what their method of flashing is like... :)

Cheers, O2 devs!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Well impressed with the fact that o2 have communicated with this community! Massive thanks to those who have fostered/encouraged this link.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
Mr_Dave

Post by Mr_Dave »

Thats excellent! Good work from O2 and the forum members :)

Just installing it now... ;)

Dave
magnus pym

Post by magnus pym »

offbeatdave wrote:Well impressed with the fact that o2 have communicated with this community! Massive thanks to those who have fostered/encouraged this link.
This, remarkable from a big corporate.
tmohammad

Post by tmohammad »

Once flashed with OP firmware, will I still be able to boot ubuntu from the usb? Can we install ubuntu on internal memory?

Any screenshots of OP?
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Thanks for this - I just dived in and tried it:

Flashing...

Flashed...

New OS screen 1:

New OS screen 2:

SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Just setup wireless and it's doing an update already!
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

New startup screen:

About:

SteveC

Post by SteveC »

It's quite limited in what it does now there no news, no traffic news etc. I think I'll stick to booting XP, although I've just booted ICS and am trying that out.
Mr_Dave

Post by Mr_Dave »

SteveC wrote:It's quite limited in what it does now there no news, no traffic news etc. I think I'll stick to booting XP, although I've just booted ICS and am trying that out.

I agree, its pretty limited, but its a nice fast interface, seems a bit more responsive than the O2 OS?
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Yeah seem alright. If someone can get other OpenPeak apps back on it like Internet Radio then it becomes useful again - it's just full of games I never will want to play.
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Telnet works by default (username is root). I just added the app shop and got more apps - add

<app static="1" id="appshop" loc="./apps/op_app_shop/" icon="icon.swf" app="main.swf" hideable="0"/>^M

to /openpeak/gui/applications.xml

I installed News, I Need A..., and Google Talk
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Looking at the pics above, this is the 'skin' which was stored on the Joggler anyway (the original PnP had the option of activating it.) Most of the games were in the original 'lack-of-apps store'. Right, stick ready and off I go with my testbed Joggler...hold on tight!
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
ordessa

Post by ordessa »

WELL DONE O2/OPENPEAK for being so supportive!

Well done team for asking

Happy to beta test!

Steve
ordessa

Post by ordessa »

aha,,,
ONE of mines just rebooted.... all the new stuff on Page 1 and 2,,, Page 3 and 4 had remnants of PnPII...

Not tested all of it so far.. But Squeezeplayer works (needed to reconnect to my NAS Squeezebox Source)
BBC i player seemed to have sound only and no controls...

early days but I feared the worst..and maybe its not so bad.. after all
jazzmista

Post by jazzmista »

Great to see a company the size of O2 do this - I'm downloading it now :)
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

offbeatdave wrote:Looking at the pics above, this is the 'skin' which was stored on the Joggler anyway (the original PnP had the option of activating it.) Most of the games were in the original 'lack-of-apps store'. Right, stick ready and off I go with my testbed Joggler...hold on tight!
Go for it Dave , do your worst ;)
Happy Joggling
Sherlock71

Post by Sherlock71 »

Hi all seem to be a bit stuck with a problem...

I've just applied the firmware update via a USB key and seemed to flash ok...connected to my wireless network ok the first time...but after the OpenPeak update...all network access has stopped...it says its connecting fine...but keeps saying I need to input a web proxy...or just saying that i'm not connected? :?

Well...I'm not impressed with this update at all...won't even set the time...or connect to the internet any more...what a complete joke :evil:
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Cheers for posting this BuZz, saves waiting :D
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D