SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & SQPOS)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
fraserm

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by fraserm »

Hey Roobarb!

I`ve tried upgrading one of my Jogglers tonight but run into issues! Ran it from the command line.

First of all the download seemed to fail:

----
Installing SqueezePlay...

Fetching SqueezePlay for Joggler v....

Connecting to birdslikewires.co.uk (64.90.54.137:80)
wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found

Binaries are already the latest version. No need to fetch.

Fetching the launcher component...

squeezeplay-launcher 100% |*******************************| 5974 --:--:-- ETA

Decompressing...rm: cannot remove '/media/opt/squeezeplay-*.tgz': No such file or directory
done.
cp: cannot stat '/media/opt/squeezeplay/config/asound.conf_simple': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove '/media/opt/squeezeplay/bin/sqp_JogglerInstallers.sh': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove '/media/opt/squeezeplay/bin/sqp_JogglerNetwork.sh': No such file or directory
No updates needed.
----

On my second attempt it now thinks my installation is up to date:

----
Fetching SqueezePlay for Joggler v1.40...

squeezeplay-joggler- 100% |*******************************| 5976k 00:00:00 ETA

Binaries are already the latest version. No need to fetch.

Fetching the launcher component...

squeezeplay-launcher 100% |*******************************| 5974 00:00:00 ETA

Decompressing... done.
No updates needed.

It takes a few moments for the interface to relaunch.
Don't worry if you've got a blank screen right now.

SqueezePlay for Joggler installation is complete.
----

Similarly on my third attempt!

----
# ./sqpinstall.sh
SqueezePlay for Joggler is already the most recent version.
#
----

The control panel still reports this Joggler as running 7.7.1 and not 7.7.2 like this update should bring me!

Any suggestions?

cheers
Fraser
fraserm

Post by fraserm »

PS - one extra bit of information, I just realised that SqueezePlay would have been running already when I ran the update script. Could that have screwed things up for me? I auto-run squeezeplay on startup instead of the native interface.
fraserm

Post by fraserm »

Me again, sorry for the running commentry!

GOOD NEWS: Using the USB installer worked a treat and resolved the install issues. Yay!

BAD NEWS: What happened to my lovely kitchen clock?! The Digital Clock (Transparent) screensaver is all broken, it just displays the date and time in small letters in the top left hand corner and not nice big letters! The wife isnt gonna be happy about this!
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

You beat me to it fraserm...

Thanks for the update roobarb.

I get similar errors about not updating binaries because already upto date. And the screen savers seemed messed up. I also have the Digital Clock (Black) and it just shows black text (on usual background) along the left hand edge of the screen in small black font, about the same size as text in the terminal window.

I will give the playback some more testing tonight!
roobarb!

SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by roobarb! »

fraserm wrote:Me again, sorry for the running commentry!

GOOD NEWS: Using the USB installer worked a treat and resolved the install issues. Yay!
Sorry - I've been doing exciting (!) things with plasterboard this evening, so not been around. It sounds like an issue with the detection of the previous version. I'm pretty sure I know why, and the fact the USB installer worked proves it to me. I'll tweak the installer script.
fraserm wrote:BAD NEWS: What happened to my lovely kitchen clock?! The Digital Clock (Transparent) screensaver is all broken, it just displays the date and time in small letters in the top left hand corner and not nice big letters! The wife isnt gonna be happy about this!
Ooh, sounds like I've missed something in the transfer over to the new skin (the 800x480 skin is now a proper skin in its own right, rather than a patched version of the WQVGA one). Sounds like there might be something to test that update button with soon! ;)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

johnnygal wrote:I get similar errors about not updating binaries because already upto date. And the screen savers seemed messed up. I also have the Digital Clock (Black) and it just shows black text (on usual background) along the left hand edge of the screen in small black font, about the same size as text in the terminal window.
Righty, does sound like that install script version detection needs toughening up. Definitely use the USB installer if in doubt - it contains it's own install files and will only use those (it's not interested in checking the web for the latest version).

Screensavers will hopefully be straightforward. I fixed them once, I'm sure I can fix them again. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
fraserm

Post by fraserm »

Cool :) So is the update button going to handle all future updates for us, from within Squeezeplay itself?

Also, I`m interested in the "New JogglerNetwork applet" .. what does this actually mean? Can I setup the network settings through Squeezeplay? I was thinking something like this would be useful during the week when I wanted to change a Joggler from wired to wireless! I can't see how to access/add this applet though :(
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

roobarb! wrote:
johnnygal wrote:I get similar errors about not updating binaries because already upto date. And the screen savers seemed messed up. I also have the Digital Clock (Black) and it just shows black text (on usual background) along the left hand edge of the screen in small black font, about the same size as text in the terminal window.
Righty, does sound like that install script version detection needs toughening up. Definitely use the USB installer if in doubt - it contains it's own install files and will only use those (it's not interested in checking the web for the latest version).

Screensavers will hopefully be straightforward. I fixed them once, I'm sure I can fix them again. :)
That's great, thanks.

John
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

fraserm wrote:Cool :) So is the update button going to handle all future updates for us, from within Squeezeplay itself?
Yup! Once you've installed v1.40, all future updates can be done through that button.
fraserm wrote:Also, I`m interested in the "New JogglerNetwork applet" .. what does this actually mean? Can I setup the network settings through Squeezeplay? I was thinking something like this would be useful during the week when I wanted to change a Joggler from wired to wireless! I can't see how to access/add this applet though :(
Ah, well. That's not for the Native OS - it's for something else I'm working on which isn't quite finished yet. :)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Right, screensaver problems and installer problems seem to be fixed. New version of the USB Installer uploaded too, with all the fixes and the latest binaries. Doubtless there will be other things I've overlooked, so please let me know (posting here is best) if you bump into any more snags.

If you have v1.40 installed and working, go to Settings > Update and give it a try!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Built in update = very nice feature. I'm going to give the new version a spin as soon as I am sober ;-)
fraserm

Post by fraserm »

BuZz wrote:Built in update = very nice feature. I'm going to give the new version a spin as soon as I am sober ;-)
We`ll be on v1.60 by then ;-)
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

Cheers for the quick update Roobarb.

I will try it tonight when I get home.

Playback of music and podcasts are still working great.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

johnnygal wrote:Cheers for the quick update Roobarb.

I will try it tonight when I get home.

Playback of music and podcasts are still working great.
Great stuff - good to hear! Let me know how the update goes. :)
fraserm

Post by fraserm »

Hey Roobarb

Did the in-app upgrade tonight, awesomeness! Love it. The wife has her clock back again now too, thanks for that.

My one request for the product backlog would be to take into account those of us who auto-run squeezeplay on power on instead of launching the native UI, a bit of extra jiggery pokery is needed to get the soundcard working in squeezeplay.sh:

Code: Select all

# Coerce my soundcard into turning itself on
amixer sset Master on >/dev/nul
./jive
I guess currently each upgrade I do I`ll need to go back in and re-add this line manually :(

Any chance?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

fraserm wrote:Hey Roobarb

Did the in-app upgrade tonight, awesomeness! Love it. The wife has her clock back again now too, thanks for that.
Good stuff. :)
fraserm wrote:My one request for the product backlog would be to take into account those of us who auto-run squeezeplay on power on instead of launching the native UI, a bit of extra jiggery pokery is needed to get the soundcard working in squeezeplay.sh:

amixer sset Master on >/dev/nul
./jive
I guess currently each upgrade I do I`ll need to go back in and re-add this line manually :(

Any chance?
I'll add that to the to-do; seems reasonable to have an autostart option in there somewhere. Wonder why the audio interface isn't on when you launch though - how are you auto-starting?
fraserm

Post by fraserm »

That`d be ace.

I`m just using instructions patched together from other posts in this thread, but to re-cycle a few electrons:

To enable auto-run on startup:

Edit /openpeak/tango/run - launch squeezeplay instead of tango:

while true ; do
# xinit /openpeak/tango/xinit.sh -- -br
xinit /media/squeezeplay/bin/squeezeplay.sh -- -br
done
Hope that helps!

Cheers
Fraser
fraserm

Post by fraserm »

Oh, and regarding the sound card enablement, the post I got the instructions from in this thead (by MRW) also posted a potentially cleaner / better way of enabling it:

amixer -q -c 0 sset 'Master',0 unmute
./jive
Both methods seemed to work for me, maybe someone can confirm the best way!!
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

Hi Roobarb,

I have done the built-in upgrade and worked a treat on my two in-use jogglers. What a great feature.
Screensavers now working fine, thanks.

Cheers,
John
mrw

Post by mrw »

fraserm wrote:Oh, and regarding the sound card enablement, the post I got the instructions from in this thead (by MRW) also posted a potentially cleaner / better way of enabling it:

amixer -q -c 0 sset 'Master',0 unmute
./jive
Both methods seemed to work for me, maybe someone can confirm the best way!!
Perhaps the 'really best' way is to correct the error in the boot up script. Then no change will be needed to the squeezeplay launcher script, or any other script, come to that.

Refer to the 'Update' part of this post: http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... =220#p6036