Ubuntu joggler kernel

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
mangodan2003

Ubuntu joggler kernel

Post by mangodan2003 »

Where does one obtain the ubuntu kernel version 3.1.0 or 3.2.4 as used by the exotica.org.uk builds?

I followed this https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Dev/Kern ... elGitGuide guide and used the git option for oneiric but the latest is 3.0.0.

I have made a minimal install on the internal eMMC using debootstrap - its presently running the 3.1.0 joggler kernel and seems to be working nicely. My final requirement is to make it run with a read-only rootfs like a live USB using the method described here http://www.logicsupply.com/blog/2009/01 ... ux-system/ .

However I need the aufs module hence the requirement to build the kernel.
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Ubuntu joggler kernel

Post by BuZz »

I do link to the kernel sources on the download pages for the images - nayway. all source stuff is here currently -

http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/source
mangodan2003

Post by mangodan2003 »

Hi, sorry not had a chance to work on this for some time.

I had no problems finding your patchset. I could not find the kernel source to apply the patches too. I'm assuming its a ubuntu patched kernel I need and not just the vanilla kernel from kernel.org. The only Ubuntu kernels that are listed as available on my system all have lower version numbers,
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

mangodan2003 wrote:I could not find the kernel source to apply the patches too. I'm assuming its a ubuntu patched kernel I need and not just the vanilla kernel from kernel.org. The only Ubuntu kernels that are listed as available on my system all have lower version numbers,
Nope, it is the real, pure, unfiltered, organic, kernel.org source that you need.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Maybe I should include the original source there. I'm certainly not trying to hide any info. its a plain kernel for sure.. exact to the version number of the folder i have my patches in. I am happy on request to provide complete patched kernel sources so I am in 100% compliance with GPL :)
mangodan2003

Post by mangodan2003 »

okay great, I'm quite comfortable with building/patching vanilla kernels so will give that a go.

Thanks
mangodan2003

Post by mangodan2003 »

Woohoo! Mission accomplished.
Had to fiddle around a bit getting the emgd,r8168 and initramfs to work (set mac , include ifconfig, modprobe.d/joggler.conf et al) but i now have a joggler booting into my custom GUI from internal/emmc flash on a volatile/read-only rootfs using the aufs patches.

Thanks for your help guys.
roobarb!

Ubuntu joggler kernel

Post by roobarb! »

mangodan2003 wrote:Woohoo! Mission accomplished.
Had to fiddle around a bit getting the emgd,r8168 and initramfs to work (set mac , include ifconfig, modprobe.d/joggler.conf et al) but i now have a joggler booting into my custom GUI from internal/emmc flash on a volatile/read-only rootfs using the aufs patches.

Thanks for your help guys.
Ooh, I'd been toying with the idea of a read-only root fs... Any pointers on how you achieved it?
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Yeh interesting. wanted to play with aufs before but its for devices like /dev/mmc not usb block - and I never really wanted to mess with the internal flash. Well worthly of a wiki entry if you are up for it :)
mangodan2003

Post by mangodan2003 »

BuZz wrote:Yeh interesting. wanted to play with aufs before but its for devices like /dev/mmc not usb block - and I never really wanted to mess with the internal flash. Well worthly of a wiki entry if you are up for it :)

Ok - I'll make a start - would be good if anyone who tries to follow it can amend mistakes / fill in gaps as i'll be going from memory and started on this several months ago with long gaps of no activity inbetween.
Feel free to ask any questions about it here though.
mangodan2003

Post by mangodan2003 »

I made a start - but the infuriating behavoir of mediawiki has driven me to abandon it for now - really i have to go out now, but it is very frustrating. It seems impossible to paste a block of text without it stripping all the news lines out and putting everything on one line. Presently reverted to <pre> tags but have also tried source and syntaxhighlight without success.

If anyone knows of a solution for this please do tell :)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

turn off the "editor" in your preferences and use the old textarea editor which won't try and be clever at all.

unless i've misunderstood the problem. for markup help - you can read the mediawiki editing guide.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I can add a source markup/highlighting plugin if needed or indent text by two spaces to keep formatting (same as using <pre>)

Probably worth starting a new thread in the mediawiki section of the forum for wiki help.
mangodan2003

Post by mangodan2003 »

Okay - i managed to make it work.
The problem i was having was when pasting script copied from a website. It looked fine in the editor, but after pressing submit it would all show up on one line. Going back to the editor all the newlines had been removed so everything i had pasted was on one long line.
I tried turning the fancy editor off in preferences but the issue persisted. What seemed to solve it was first pasting into a console/terminal (cating into a file) then copying it straight back from that console and pasting into wiki! :|
mangodan2003

Post by mangodan2003 »

Ooo, and the syntaxhighlight extension would be nice :)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I run that on my exotica site (quick spam - http://www.exotica.org.uk main site on this server). I'll make a note to install it. Not sure how well it does shell scripts but could be handy.
mangodan2003

Post by mangodan2003 »

Any body know much about emmc?

I had just about got my script to a point where it would work when update-initramfs started chucking segfaults and invalid operations - suspected something had got too hot and so went for a shutdown, cool down, restart.

Upon reboot (from USB) kernel chucks the below and my /dev/mmcblk0 device is no longer available :(

After looking in kernel code it seems some data block has been corrupted but i can hardly believe this would be accessible from the /dev/mmcblk0 device so at a bit of a loss as to what happened to it atm, and my other joggler is working merrily (come to think of it i don't think i deleted / recreated the first partition on that one so maybe some data structure is available there and cant be messed with (eesh!)).

Code: Select all

mmc0: no vmmc regulator found
Registered led device: mmc0::
mmc0: SDHCI controller on PCI [0000:00:1e.0] using DMA
mmc1: no vmmc regulator found
Registered led device: mmc1::
mmc1: SDHCI controller on PCI [0000:00:1e.1] using DMA
mmc2: no vmmc regulator found
Registered led device: mmc2::
mmc2: SDHCI controller on PCI [0000:00:1e.2] using DMA
mmc2: unrecognised EXT_CSD structure version 115
mmc2: error -22 whilst initialising MMC card
For comparison - on working joggler :

Code: Select all

mmc0: no vmmc regulator found
Registered led device: mmc0::
mmc0: SDHCI controller on PCI [0000:00:1e.0] using DMA
mmc1: no vmmc regulator found
Registered led device: mmc1::
mmc1: SDHCI controller on PCI [0000:00:1e.1] using DMA
mmc2: no vmmc regulator found
Registered led device: mmc2::
mmc2: SDHCI controller on PCI [0000:00:1e.2] using DMA
mmc2: new high speed MMC card at address 0001
mmcblk0: mmc2:0001  980 MiB 
 mmcblk0: p1 p2
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Hmm no idea. Might be worth swapping efi chip with working one to make sure that hasn't somehow got corrupted.
mangodan2003

Post by mangodan2003 »

Feeling fairly confident the re-partitioning can't have been the cause i tried same on another joggler which has rebooted fine. Both of these 2 have been on permanantly since new so maybe just tired emmc chip which failed.

I have an older version of ubuntu booted on the 2nd one atm which won't allow me to debootstrap oneiric - so will leave a full test of the script till tomorrow when i can boot it into oneiric and try.

Re EFI - i have a few efi bins somewhere as i was playing around customising the boot logo back when i got them, so will try flashing one of those to it rather than taking 2 apart again (efi chip is awkward to get to).
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Are you still able to boot the internal OS to reflash the efi then ? I had assumed it wasn't getting that far.

Of course, could be a hardware issue also as you mention.