PnP Mk II - Superceeded by PnP III (May 2012)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
offbeatdave

PnP Mk II - Superceeded by PnP III (May 2012)

Post by offbeatdave »

EDIT 9th MAY 2012 - PLEASE USE PnP III FROM THE FOLLOWING THREAD:
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=555

WHAT IS PnP Mk II?
PnP Mk II is a customised version of the original Joggler operating system. It adds several useful features that should really have been on the Joggler from the word go and provides a fresh new appearance to replace the o2 blue. More details about what is installed are listed below. Why not check out the quick video tour kindly provided by chelseagirl at http://t.co/BmxEqt3v.

(First release Saturday 4th February 2012)
(Updated 05/03/2012 - v2.12p - Updated to Logitech Media Server v7.7.1-33735 thanks to joh, incorporated latest Squeezeplay v7.7.2-9626 from http://birdslikewires.co.uk, hopefully addressed possible Joggler bandwidth usage issues and fixed SFTP access via WinSCP)

BASIC INSTRUCTIONS:
Download the latest .zip file (v2.12p) from LINK REMOVED - PLEASE USE PnP III (download size is 110Mb)
It's a Dropbox account so don't rely on the download speeds being mega fast all the time!
Extract the files to a working USB stick.
Plug the USB stick into a clean Joggler, boot it up and (hopefully) off it goes!
Be patient - reports suggest it can take 15+ minutes to go through the motions, although on my random old USB stick it takes 12-13 minutes to install.

Obviously massive thanks and indeed all the credit goes to everyone whose bits and pieces are incorporated here – the original PnP from gforums, Squeezeplay stuff from http://birdslikewires.co.uk and others, Youtube and BBC iPlayer apps from spoyser and everyone else who has put in so much time and effort into unleashing the potential of the Joggler. Also thanks for the Reflash Tool from http://birdslikewires.co.uk which made it easier to test the work in progress. All of this just goes to prove that this really is, as roobarb so eloquently put it, "one of the nicest little tech communities around!" My contribution has really only been to use Copy and Paste a few times so please excuse my clumsy and inefficient coding!

OVERVIEW:
PnP Mk II differs from the original PnP in that there is no menu to install things – everything should get installed in one go from a USB stick. If you were expecting a full blown web interface to install what you want then sorry - that's beyond me at the moment! PnP Mk II can however, be easily customised by editing the PnP_mkII.shx file in /files and by adding stuff to the /files directory. As far as I can tell it works as it should. I have tried it on a couple of my Jogglers without any issues. If you don't want something, # out all lines to do with it in the /files/PnP_mkII.shx file! I've tried to set it all out so it is easy to find the different bits within the install code.

WHAT IT INSTALLS:

Opera Mobile v10.1 browser
Hotmail and Twitter shortcuts (via Opera to the mobile versions of the sites)
o2 Radio (Modified stock OS to allow customisation of stations)
Squeezeplay 7.7.2-9626 (please donate to http://birdslikewires.co.uk if you find this useful)
Logitech Media Server 7.7.1.33735 (with iPlayer radio plug-ins installed - see note below)
BBC iPlayer (with a new tweaked front end and better performance direct from spoyser - THANK YOU!)
YouTube (with customisable tabs)
o2 Calendar (Stock OS)
Google Calendar (Openpeak)
Sky Sports News feeds (Stock OS)
Sky News feeds (Stock OS)
RSS News (Openpeak version allowing customisation of feeds)
Weather (Openpeak)
Timer
Stopwatch
Calculator (Stock OS)
Dilbert cartoon (Openpeak)
o2 Messaging (with new icon but also with Stock OS icon retain full functionality)
Games - Angry Birds, Crush the Castle, Connect 4, Checkers, Chess, Baseball and Toss Paper, although Toss Paper doesn't work properly as there's no wind direction or score!
o2 Games (Stock OS) - Sudoku, Checkers, Five in a Row with their own icons
Google Maps (Openpeak)
o2 Music , Video and Photos (Stock OS)
Memos (Stock OS)
Horoscopes (Openpeak)
SWF Launcher including full reboot script
Alarm (Stock OS)
Tools and Settings (Stock OS)
Screen Off
Restart Tango
Alternative clock screensaver (Openpeak)
Script to prepare your USB stick for a new install of PnP Mk II once completed (in SWF->Shell)
Script to mount USB port as writable in Stock OS (in SWF->Scripts)
Scripts to switch between Internal and USB sound cards (simple and advanced) (in SWF->Shell)
Scripts to reinstate o2 Traffic (does this actually still update?) and o2 (Sky News) Weather (in SWF->Shell)

A very simplified web interface is installed via the IP of the Joggler (e.g. 192.168.2.x) and Logitech Media Server should install an be accessible via 192.168.2.x:9000

SCREENSHOTS (from v1.80p):

SLIGHTLY MORE DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS:
Backup anything you want to keep from your Joggler and make sure you have the means to restore your Joggler if it all goes pear-shaped!
Download the .zip file, extract to a USB stick (the files currently take up 138Mb) and boot it on a clean Joggler. I always reflash and establish web access before installing, although I can confirm that everything installs for me from the USB stick. Update: I have tried running it on a previous PnP Mk II and everything seems to work OK, but obviously all settings in apps are reset to PnP Mk II defaults! On my random old USB sticks it takes just over 12 minutes to work through and reboots a few times during this process. It'll just stay on the o2 or Openpeak screen whilst working.

Almost everything should work straight out of the box. I have found that to get Squeezeplay and Logitech Media Server running properly I have to first run Squeezeplay and set it up. I then leave it running and access Logitech Media Server via a web browser at 192.168.2.xx:9000. Once I have gone through the setup within this and restarted the server when asked, I restart Squeezeplay. The BBC iPlayer plugins should be there and working. (I think that setting up Squeezeplay and then just rebooting the Joggler also worked when I tried it too.)

ANOTHER OPTION:

If you have telnet etc. installed on the stock OS then you could just plug in the usb stick, telnet in and copy and paste sections of code from /files/PnPmkII.shx

Enjoy!

Offbeat Dave
Last edited by offbeatdave on Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:20 pm, edited 20 times in total.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
danfoshizzle

Re: PnP Mk II - Here it is!

Post by danfoshizzle »

Lovely job there Dave, gives me a reason to try the stock os again now!
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
pete

Post by pete »

Works great Dave!

Just installed XAPFlash on it along with your stuff.

You Tube videos and squeezeplayer work well.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Jarv_77

Post by Jarv_77 »

Just as a failsafe option in case of who knows what, what would be the uninstall method to get back to the stock OS ? -
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Jarv_77 wrote:Just as a failsafe option in case of who knows what, what would be the uninstall method to get back to the stock OS ? -
My method of choice is the reflash tool from birdslikewires.co.uk (although I have had problems with the new version and had to use v1.06)
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

pete_c wrote:Works great Dave!

Cheers! What's XAPFlash then?
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Added backups of o2-applications.xml and applications.xml to their respective directories just in case!
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Oh to answer what XAPflash is, its a home automation software written for the joggler
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Just tried this on my joggler, Fabulous!
more to come!!

hawsey

Post by hawsey »

danfoshizzle wrote:Just tried this on my joggler, Fabulous!
Is it important that i back up my Joggler before i do this ? there is nothing on there that i need so would the re flash tool be ok to fall back on if it does go pear shaped ?
If i do need to back up , what is the simplest way to do that ?
Many thanks ?

Happy Joggling :D
Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

pete_c wrote:Works great Dave!

@ Pete_c , hi Pete
how did you put XAPFlash on to PnP II ?
I fancy installing it along with the rest just to have a look :) , might even spur me on to do something with it ...
Cheers
Happy Joggling
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

hawsey wrote:
danfoshizzle wrote:Just tried this on my joggler, Fabulous!
Is it important that i back up my Joggler before i do this ? there is nothing on there that i need so would the re flash tool be ok to fall back on if it does go pear shaped ?
If i do need to back up , what is the simplest way to do that ?
Many thanks ?

Happy Joggling :D
Latest reflash tool will be fine to return to fresh state if anything untoward happens!
hardz

Post by hardz »

Is the Opera browser flash enabled (for viewing video websites)?
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

This works a treat Dave :D thank you very much kind Sir
I am writing this from the browser on my newly pimped up joggler ,worked flawlessly .
For the less technical among us who are a bit daunted by manually adding apps ,PnP II is the future for the stock OS .
With the browser , iplayer and radio ,timer the WAF and toddlerAF will be good ,this will be taking the place of Android on the Kitchen joggler tomorrow .
Happy Joggling
Happy Joggling
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

hardz wrote:Is the Opera browser flash enabled (for viewing video websites)?
Nah, as far as I know Opera isn't.
pete

Post by pete »

how did you put XAPFlash on to PnP II ?
I ssh'd to the Joggler and followed these instructions:
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
FyodorNinian

Post by FyodorNinian »

This looks like great work!

Am going to install Mk 2 this evening on one of my jogglers. Am loving ICS, but the lack of a screen off option makes it a no go as a bed side joggler.

One question - I have PnP mark one on all my jogglers, if I uninstall all of the apps that it installed, will my joggler be 'clean' enough for me to safely install mark 2? I'll be uninstalling the apps using the PnP web interface.
hardz

Post by hardz »

Is there a reason why we can't have a fully flash enabled browser?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

hardz wrote:Is there a reason why we can't have a fully flash enabled browser?
Same reason we don't have Opera 11 on the native OS; dependencies.

For example, Opera 11 is a binary, but relies on the libqtcore4 library. I have never managed to get this to build on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (on which the native OS is based). Chrome is available as source, but has many, many more dependencies in order to build it. So we're in the funny situation of having an operating system running a Flash-based UI, without any support for Flash in a browser. Hence, you run the Flash stuff from an app already within the Flash UI environment (a la iPlayer).

I don't believe that the long term future of the Joggler lies with the original OS (and because of the hardware, form factor and price I can see Jogglers being with us for some time yet). There may come a point where even apps that compile properly and move between systems nicely at the moment (like SqueezePlay) refuse to work. I'm not saying it's imminent, but it's possible.

However, we can run other operating systems - personally, I feel the most important of these being Linux. Using things like the Ubuntu Long Term Service releases, we can run browsers with Flash to our hearts content, complete with hardware video acceleration. At some point, there's going to be a tipping point where compatibility becomes more important than using the native UI as a launcher.

Just to be clear, I am in no way being down on PnP Mk II! It's a great and easy way to get a lot of nice things working quickly. Just thought it might be useful to have an explanation of why we can't always get what we want on the native operating system. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
gegs

Post by gegs »

roobarb! wrote:...the long term future of the Joggler...
Thanks roobarb for making me smile :)
A strange turn of phrase for a discontinued device, but I suppose people are still using Amigas and ZX Spectrums.
A long future should have been assured - if only it had been marketed better and the stock OS had been pimped from Go!