In car power supply?

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
markeh

In car power supply?

Post by markeh »

Hi there,

I thought it would be best to start a new topic instead of posting in the other power supply thread, hopefully thats alright.

Does anyone know what power supply would be best to power the joggler in a car, I remember a guy posted pictures and instructions for installing it inside a car on the old forum. From what I recall it was from maplin, I think it was this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/universal-3a-dc ... ply-228639

Would that work alright? It seems a bit expensive for a £50 joggler, are there any alternatives?

Is anyone else using or thinking on using it in-car? It does seem to have the potential to be very cool.

Any advice would be great :D
hawsey

Re: In car power supply?

Post by hawsey »

Markeh,
feast you eyes on this , it might help , have to admit i fancy rigging one of these up myself

http://www.mp3car.com/show-off-your-pro ... x-5-a.html
Happy Joggling
markeh

Post by markeh »

Yea, thanks for the link. Thats the one from the old forum. I must have got that maplin power supply from somewhere else .

It does look really good, but do you think its practical? Like if you just stop the power when you stop the car will it corrupt the os image on the usb stick or ssd or would it take to long to boot up and what about fm radio?

I think there might be too many issues to make it a permanent fixture in the car
nigelh

Post by nigelh »

markeh wrote:Hi there,

I thought it would be best to start a new topic instead of posting in the other power supply thread, hopefully thats alright.

Does anyone know what power supply would be best to power the joggler in a car, I remember a guy posted pictures and instructions for installing it inside a car on the old forum. From what I recall it was from maplin, I think it was this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/universal-3a-dc ... ply-228639

Would that work alright? It seems a bit expensive for a £50 joggler, are there any alternatives?

Is anyone else using or thinking on using it in-car? It does seem to have the potential to be very cool.

Any advice would be great :D
Fyi, Maplins have reduced these to £14.99
nigelh

Post by nigelh »

pete

Post by pete »

Curious if you are able to run the Joggler off of the 3 AMP universal PS. I would assume it would be better to maybe drive it with a 5 AMP or similiar to the OpenPeak power supply DC-DC transformer.

I have a small Shuttle net top which has a 30 watt PS and never really gets warm. The Asus netbook I have utilizes a smaller 3 Watt PS; it never gets warm either.

The reason I am asking is that I would like to try a POE of sorts for the Joggler and wondering how much I would have to put on the NIC wires if I were to go this route.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
markeh

Post by markeh »

pete_c wrote:Curious if you are able to run the Joggler off of the 3 AMP universal PS. I would assume it would be better to maybe drive it with a 5 AMP or similiar to the OpenPeak power supply DC-DC transformer.

I have a small Shuttle net top which has a 30 watt PS and never really gets warm. The Asus netbook I have utilizes a smaller 3 Watt PS; it never gets warm either.

The reason I am asking is that I would like to try a POE of sorts for the Joggler and wondering how much I would have to put on the NIC wires if I were to go this route.
maybe a bit late to be of any use to you but yea it works fine, although I can't say I've used it for any length of time
hardz

Post by hardz »

Damn, I was on my way to pick it up today but it's jumped to £22.99 :o

It was £9.99 yesterday :(
lamb.chop

Post by lamb.chop »

http://www.vanson.com.hk/details/SDR-3000.html

its this model, only 36W so others may also work OK........
hardz

Post by hardz »

hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Good find that looks the same to me as the one above and also the earlier Maplin one
Happy Joggling
hardz

Post by hardz »

Just before I buy it, I'm curious way this discussion is for a 3A (Maplin/ebay) power supply whereas the DC plug for my Joggler states 4A.

Would it not be better/safer to get a 4A version?
thebetaproject

Post by thebetaproject »

The 5v power supplies shown in the mp3car article are available on eBay, e.g:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-DC-Voltage ... 6914wt_922
hardz

Post by hardz »

The Maplin one is back (finally) at £9.99 and free delivery if you buy something for a couple of pennies.
lamb.chop

Post by lamb.chop »

thebetaproject wrote:The 5v power supplies shown in the mp3car article are available on eBay, e.g:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-DC-Voltage ... 6914wt_922
Check their feedback though, not a UK seller, etc.