**BUILD 3 - Windows XP Professional SP3 (Plus Tablet PC)**

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
danfoshizzle

Re: RELEASE - Windows XP Professional SP3

Post by danfoshizzle »

i think even norton ghost is out of it too. maybe .img is the most cross platform way?
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
pete

Post by pete »

I never paid attention to the size of the image when I wrote it to the USB SSD or the ZIF Drive. I have not written the image to a USB memory stick. I just checked the free and used space on the USB SSD stick. Its 2.84 Gb. I will do a regular memory stick, write it to an img file and will upload it somewhere.

I'm losing track of the memory sticks and should label them. I found a 4Gb one to test with.

It'll probably be over a 1Gb download.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

yeah img i think is the best way, can be written cross platform
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

pete

Post by pete »

Wrote it to a 4Gb stick. I just want to make sure it boots. Testing it. Looks OK.

First boot; started fine; at the funky video screen it rebooted to the O2 logo.
Second cold boot; went to the funky video screen; booted to XP. Very fast.

Letting it load the USB drivers. It asked to reboot. I said no and manually shut it down.

Cold boot started OK. Shut it down.

Wrote image from memory stick.

Whoa, error reading USB stick. Saids CRC error. Tried three times with USB Image Tool.

Not sure where to upload the image?
Last edited by pete on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

rapidshare works well, and its free! lol just rar it before uploading will decrease the download size
more to come!!

pete

Post by pete »

Nah can't write an image from the memory stick with Win32 Disk Imager or USB Image program. I also get an error reading it with GParted on the Linux PC.

I have to try to fix it.
- Pete

Auto mater
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

try making the img with win32 diskimager, as that is what all of my builds are done wuth
more to come!!

Mevi

Post by Mevi »

I thought there are also tools for VHDs in Linux too. I went with the VHD as it cuts out several steps of the process if you want to play with the source and destination options.... for windows users anyway. Whoops.

Quickly scanning through their blurb this evening, looks like VMWare & Parallels have native VHD support on OSX. Those are paid options though.

I'm gonna be imaging another USB stick later tonight for some testing, so I can see if making an IMG from it works, write it to another stick, test it, zip it and upload to my S3 bucket for download. That's the plan, anyway. Will update you soon.
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
pete

Post by pete »

I went back to the build with Gparted and checked a couple of more times. 2nd time it was fine. I then went back to writing the image with the same CRC error.

Just thought will try another stick.

I was using this one for a Linux application on the Seagate Dockstar and its been running for months. I did pull it and substitute another stick for it. Initially I went to copy it and it was corrupt so I had to build a new one.

I am thinking that maybe its a bad memory stick now.

I'll write the image to another 4 Gb stick. I bought a bunch of those little HP 4 Gb memory sticks. I'll try one of those.

So now doing a couple of things here; still trying to fix the first one such that I can copy over to an img file and doing a new stick from the VHD and will try to image that one.

Yup; first stick is bad. Trying the HP 4Gb stick now.
Last edited by pete on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Pete

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

don't worry, Pete. I have it sorted here.

I did a straight conversion from the VHD to an IMG using StarWind V2V. Wrote it to a stick to test it and it's fine.

zipping now and will upload shortly.

pete

Post by pete »

Wrote the VHD image to the HP 4Gb stick (little thing - HP165w's)

Booted up right away as previous stick.

Once in OS; seems a lot slower at loading up USB drivers; so the stick is a lot slower than previously used one (which was a Patriot Memory)

I did do a detailed scrub and check on the Patriot Memory Stick and found 4 bad sectors. Its a Patriot PMAP 4 GB stick. It is much faster than the HP165W stick.

2nd boot of the HP 4Gb stick was fine. Booted right into XP with all drivers loading right away.

This time waited a bit and plugged in the NIC. It did not lock up or do DHCP right away. After a bit it did come up.

I VNC'd to it and emptied garbage and removed the \\Mevi-laptop link in my network places.

It is running much slower on this HP 165w 4Gb stick; even the shutdown takes maybe 4-5 times longer than the other stick.

Did another cold boot sans the NIC cable plugged in.

Booted right up as before. Loaded up both WLAN and LAN drivers as before. It takes a while to navigate the screen.

Noticed an odd thing that I didn't notice before when navigating the extreme right side of the screen the mouse arrow was moving on the left side of the screen.

Shut it down. Imaging it with USB Image. It seems to be reading the image pretty quickly.

All appears fine this time around. Will zip/rar/7z image and upload it to Rapidshare.

The image is 3.95 Gb in size uncompressed.

Just read your message Mevi. Will not upload image.
- Pete

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

Still uploading.... it's a bit slow as I set up the bucket as located in the US. The packets seem like they are getting there by boat. :D

I've noticed the calibration of the touch screen is a bit off. Touching the very bottom of the screen, the cursor jumps to the top. Not observed the left-right thing yet. The input seems 'stepped'. it's sometimes hard to get the cursor just where you want it as the cursor is jumping either a bit higher or a bit lower than what you need. I think perhaps the touchscreen driver is a generic one.

I know those little hp sticks. Tempted as they are so small and discrete. The Lexar one that I chose instead is as small and is pretty quick - 25MB read/15MB write continuous. Quick to image and ok running XP.

I've seen microSD readers where the SD card goes into the reader on the INSIDE of the USB plug so it's all very small. I don't know what the read/write is like on a microSD.

Mevi

Post by Mevi »

carled wrote:OK, I wasn't getting anything out of it even on internal speaker, then I went into sound settings/adjust speaker volume and both sliders were way down to the left so I moved them up and I can now get squeezeplay through the internal speaker.

On the disks - danfoshizzle you mention phenomenal speed increases with an external 2.5" hard drive - do you mean SSD drives or any 2.5" laptop drive in a caddy?
Sorry, the volume is turned down on the image. I do a lot of my work at night. ;)

Using a HDD in a caddy will work fine. That precludes using a drive on an unpowered hub and you may have wanted to plug in a keyboard and mouse too.

pete

Post by pete »

Mevi,

Great stuff!! No need to apologize for anything there.

I like those little microSD readers. Think I've purchased every style available when I started to "play" with the Chumby. Went nuts buying various sizes of microSD cards. Ended up using a 2GB CF card with the Chumby. Works well still. I replaced the inside microSD with a larger one; thing I only needed to go a 4Gb instead of the one in there which was 2 Gb. For whatever reason I started at a 16Gb microsd card with the Chumby; way too much though.

I never noticed the touch screen thing (issue) cuz the application I am using and my eyes are used to large buttons. Dumb age thing. I never really checked out granular touchscreen stuff. Sorry about that.

Most likely though will still go with the USB SSD stick sans case inside of the Joggler as its been doing fine with currently configured in "production" Joggler.
- Pete

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

img uploaded and linked to in the first post!!!!

Quinten

Post by Quinten »

Mevi wrote:img uploaded and linked to in the first post!!!!
You star! Dowloading it now :D
darrenkellum

Post by darrenkellum »

Hi

Just tried the vhd version and did a disk copy using minitool but my boot stops at error loading boot.ini and NTdetect any ideas why?

thanks
pete

Post by pete »

Yes. Looks like you are using a hub. I couldn't get the image to boot from a hub (tried 3 different ones - didn't power them up though).

Have a good look at the second NTFS partition and make sure the flag is set to boot. If it isn't reset it to boot. The "sounds" configuration is set to "no sounds" and the volume is set to low. Enable the default Windows sounds if you want and turn up the volume. I have not seen a screen offset thing; but a couple of friends have. You can also try changing the resolution say to 800X600; then go back to the 800X480 resolution. There is some sort of touch screen offset thing going on. I initially didn't notice it with the large icons; but if you do some edge stuff you will notice it.

Try putting the stick right into the side USB port. It'll auto load the USB "disk drive" drivers; two of them I believe; and ask you to reboot. Don't cuz it'll warm boot into an O2 screen. Instead do a shutdown and unplug the power cable and plug it back in. Leave the network cable unplugged if you are using one. Wireless will come up right away. Wired will show a disconnected cable. There's a good chance that if you plug in a network cable the OS will freeze. If you cold reboot 2-3 times and plug in the network cable it will come up eventually.

Also check to make sure you have a pagefile (dynamic); if you to the setting and see an error before you set it; means that the configuration drivers are not there. Follow Mevi's procedure above to enable and update the drivers if needed. The default dynamic pagefile is 7xxMb. I set my to a static configuration of 1024. The applications that Mevi installed are all working fine and quick. Yesterday I tested some streaming 720 HD stuff and it works fine; no jittering. I run a test application (kind of propietary) with text to speech fonts and multiple screen overlays with individually configured buttons (that go to the internet for icons or pictures, show HTML, etc) and it runs fast; I also have these "icons" which are really just VB scripts which also render pretty quickly. I have a similiar setup with a first gen Atom and it almost seems as quick; except the Atom based MB has 2GB Ram.
- Pete

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

I've been booting with a USB stick and belkin USB to Ethernet adaptor plugged into an unpowered hub. I had to experiment with which port to use when I started with Dan's XP and W2003, but since then, it's OK as long as I only boot off that same bootable port.

Darren, also check that the 2nd NTFS partition is set active after you built your stick - the EFI will look for an ACTIVE partition only and will fail if it doesn't find one OR it finds an active partition that doesn't have those files on.

When this build is tweaked for your use, it does run well. My soak test is 24hours of automated web browsing, clicking play buttons, launching YouTube videos. The last build was running off a USB stick for a day before I released it and it was still going strong almost 4 days later without reboot when I shut it down to build that IMG file yesterday. I have a Acer Aspire One, 1st gen atom single core 1.6 with 1Gb RAM and it runs Windows 7 easily. The Poulsbo chipset is quite different to that of the early netbooks, but it's very capable.. I still haven't given up on running W7 on the Joggler, but it runs SOOOOO SLOOOOOW on an USB HDD on a 2GHz C2D laptop.

I'm keeping the list of issues with the build updated on the first post. If I keep them all together, I can be sure to fix as many as I can for the next build. Keep this thread updated with any problems you have.

Not sure I can speed it up much more as the bottleneck is not the Joggler or the OS, but the boot media. The faster the drive, the quicker it goes - a HDD is still the best option from my experience as the Kingspec SSDI ordered is still on a boat from Hong Kong.

This build is set to keep the core OS in memory to avoid thrashing the boot media. I have also had W2003 running with the page file on a 2nd USB stick which made a difference, but only on a hub so could be even better to have one stick internal and one external. I'm looking at whether it's feasable to split the system files across 2 sticks and be able to distribute it in Image files for that configuration.

I've had both my Jogglers apart and nothing looks different chip-wise - I reflashed the problem Joggler following Birds Like Wires' procedure (easy) and still the Error 10 error. I know the HW works as the NIC works in the factory OS and Buzz's Ubuntu. Next time I get a clear run of a few hours work, I'll swap the EFI chips and see if the NIC problem follows the EFI chip or stays with the problem Joggler. The chips lift out easily from the socket - now where did I put my static wrist strap?

pete

Post by pete »

You are very brave there Mevi with the internal EFI chips.

I'll try different ports on the USB hub. I am using a "no name" micro tower unpower 7 port hub. I've left your build just running connected via a 1Gb NIC connection and it has done well online now since you first posted it and I imaged it over to the USB SSD and ZIF drive. Yesterday switched it from the ZIF drive to the USB SSD drive. I don't really need a keyboard as VNC does just fine. The only issue is doing the warm boot where I get an O2 logo and a cold boot with the NIC plugged in. It'll boot 100% cold without the NIC cable plugged in. Here is the difference though with Dan's earlier XPSP3 build. That one did do a warm boot. The second warm boot though always took longer than the first cold boot. It does similiar with the NIC plugged in; but not as often. I have another Joggler running that XPSP3. And the third one in a kind of production mode with the USB SSD stick inside of the Joggler. I like the idea of splitting the partitions to dedicate one to the page file. I do that today with the servers.

Mevi; thank-you for your perseverance and a great XPSP3 addition to the Joggler!
- Pete

Auto mater