**BUILD 3 - Windows XP Professional SP3 (Plus Tablet PC)**

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
jimeney

Re: RELEASE - Windows XP Professional SP3

Post by jimeney »

I'm on OSX too, really excited abou this image, but as yet can't use it. If I find anything of use, I'll report back here.
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

danfoshizzle wrote:Good luck with the efi mevi, i just had a look and it seems as though its a pure efi setup, IE no bios exists as far as i can see anyway.
I was hoping that it would be straight forward to look through, but I can't see anything anything that looked like a BIOS amongst all the files. I'll open up my fully working Joggler later on and look for HW differences and depending how brave I am, swap the EFI chips between machines.

I'm no coder, but I can use a screwdriver.

I'm trying out Lighttec's Talisman which is a customisable shell for XP - below is a screen shot of a 'media centre' theme downloaded from their site running on the Joggler. It's not optimised for this screen size so it's a bit wonky. There are 'car pc' themes that fit and look good too.

It is not freeware, however.
Attachments
talisman.jpg
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
pete

Post by pete »

Very nice there Mevi.

I like the clock screen saver on your release. I currently utilize similiar flash files for my touch screen custom screens. (analogue old and new clocks)

I have tested HD 720 movies via the LAN and they playback just fine.

Relating to HW difference; how many different types of Jogglers are there?

My current three have IMEI numbers on them. Is that typical of all O2 Jogglers?

I have a friend testing the images on three Jogglers and his video is offset much of the times. I've told him to just reload the video drivers; it seems to work. My three Jogglers have not had any issues with the Video offset; although I have seen it a couple of times.

The NICs on all three behave the same way from what I can tell. So far I am seeing a difference between Dan's XP/W2003 and yours; but I don't really know what it could be. I do think though the whole warm reboot thing might be related to the NIC more than anything else though?

W7 Touch is still a bit primitive....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=VWDqV5rwii0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOioU-cq ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3WVw_by ... re=related

A W8 TS interface would be interesting and I wonder how well it would run on the Joggler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUt-uGbBXBg
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
carled

Post by carled »

Oopsie. Killed the windows boot image by trying to get soft squeeze installed. It asked for java to be installed and I did (1.6) but on reboot I get endless errors now saying something about "Int37" being detected.

Ha. That was last night, just tried it again to get exact error message and it's gone and all booted up just fine. I keep getting "new hardware detected" on the mouse & keyboard but it hangs when trying to find/install drivers. Minor issue anyway.

Ah, the error's back: "Int 37 triggerered at 1000:019E. Ignoring...." numbers change occasionally but this scrolls endlessly up the screen. Eventually just freezes up altogether.

I also find the system incredibly slow. Clicking on an icon on the desktop and nothing happens for 10 seconds or so. Same with file & folder access. Maybe it's my joggler?

Can't get softsqueeze to run either. Complains about missing msvcr71.dll and even when I downloaded one from the web into system32 it didn't work. Anyone else got softsqueeze installed please?
pete

Post by pete »

carled,

Does your control panel, system properties, computer show a speed of 199Mhz or does it show 1.33GHz when its running slow?
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

Haven't we seen that error on the W2003 build? A quick search of the forum shows some other people have had it when installing SP2. I also read that a change of memory stick and the errors went away for one forum member. Maybe a problem with the page file on the stick?

Carled, do you have another stick you can try?
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Yeah sometimes certain sticks just dont like windows, but the fact that it booted in the first place suggests that somehow carled has corrupted the build, i cannot see installing java having this effect. and re the slowdown, that is probably because the stick has slow access times.
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
carled

Post by carled »

pete_c wrote:carled,

Does your control panel, system properties, computer show a speed of 199Mhz or does it show 1.33GHz when its running slow?
Took a while to get it to boot again. I get the "int 37" message a lot. Occasionally it boots and I got lucky just now.

Intel Atom Z520 @ 1.33GHz, 496MB Ram

Managed to get squeezeplayer to load now, but it won't play any audio. Song is playing, but nothing from connected usb speakers. Windows media player works perfectly... Anyone got any ideas on what to try and change to make squeezeplayer work too please?
carled

Post by carled »

re: stick speeds - is there any way of testing to see how fast/slow the stick is? Is there a "known best stick" out there? (I'm UK based)
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

try playing a song through the default speakers first, and re the stick speeds run crystalmark on it, and atm i am using an micro sd card in a reader, but have had success with hp sticks, and pete uses a usb sdd, also external 2.5 inch hard drives heed phenomenal speed increases
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

carled

Post by carled »

OK, I wasn't getting anything out of it even on internal speaker, then I went into sound settings/adjust speaker volume and both sliders were way down to the left so I moved them up and I can now get squeezeplay through the internal speaker.

Weird... now it's working through my external speakers too! I wonder if when squeezeplay started if I still had windows media player running and it had the usb speakers locked? Anyhow, that's sorted now. It comes up on screen as a small box though - is there a way of making it run in full screen mode?

On the disks - danfoshizzle you mention phenomenal speed increases with an external 2.5" hard drive - do you mean SSD drives or any 2.5" laptop drive in a caddy?
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

any 2.5 inch hdd in a caddy makes windows run beatiful, Its just a case of finding one that the joggler will use as some hdds ask to much power from the joggler. I have a toshiba drive in a cheap 2 pound fifty case from ebay that runs fine.

Edit it does come with one of those double ended usbs but runs fine with the first in line usb plug.
more to come!!

pete

Post by pete »

Lately I am only testing the newest build on a ZIF drive. Earlier I tested it on the USB SSD drive. I have an older 1/2 sized 2.5" IDE drive I was testing with cuz its kind of small. Kind of shifted now to just using the ZIF 1.8" drive and the USB SSD drive.

The Joggler that's running my stuff now is using an internally mounted USB SSD with a 1 Gb wired NIC connection. I had to break the USB SSD stick out of its case to fit it inside of the Joggler and sacrifice the USB WLAN card inside of the Joggler. I do have those little bitty new mini WLAN dongles though for wireless should I want to use it.

I just did a video of the old build booting off and running on an 8Gb Kingston stick and it was fine.
- Pete

Auto mater
carled

Post by carled »

ok, I'll look into that, thanks.

Is there any way of pinching the fonts/lua folders out of the linux builds that give a 800x480 screen and using for the windows installation of squeezeplay?

Also is it worth me installing iplayer or itvplayer or even xbmc on this or does it all run too slowly? I'll probably try anyway... :-)
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

xbmc should run good, on my windows 2003 build it flew and ran better than it does on linux, and to get squeezeplayer working full screen needs some advanced hacks like roobarb did for linux,
more to come!!

pete

Post by pete »

The Joggler horsepower is definitely there to run many applications. The near 500Mb base with a pagefile does well.
Last edited by pete on Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Pete

Auto mater
carled

Post by carled »

Cheers Dan. Is there a pointer anywhere to these advanced hacks that are needed for the squeezeplayer skin please?
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

if you search roobarbs posts you should find him posting in either my xp thread or my 2003 thread
more to come!!

tmohammad

Post by tmohammad »

I'm probably being a wally asking this question.... but is it not possible for someone to post the img file for this (like the ubuntu) so the image can be written to the usb card?

Please forgive the ignorance.
Quinten

Post by Quinten »

Mevi wrote:
Quinten wrote:First off, great work mevi, thanks for your effort.

But would it be possible to get it in a different format than the VHD? I'm on OSX and I can't do anything with it :( Unless I'm missing a trick?
I don't have much knowledge about OSX (I just muddle through when confronted by other people's machines), but as VHD is quite an established disk image format, I'm sure that there are tools out there to do the conversion OR someone might be able to suggest which would be a good format to upload it in. I'll do my best to accomodate! :)
VHD is (afaics) only established on Windows ;)

Unfortunately no tools exist (that I could find) which allows us to convert it into anything usable on any other platform.