**BUILD 3 - Windows XP Professional SP3 (Plus Tablet PC)**

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Mevi

**BUILD 3 - Windows XP Professional SP3 (Plus Tablet PC)**

Post by Mevi »

Hey everyone,

UPDATE: 16.12.2011. Build 3 of Windows XP Professional plus Tablet PC

You should choose either the VHD OR IMG file download. Scroll down to the instructions if you are not sure which one is best for your preferred method. Also download DRIVER.CAB (place in Windows\System32\Drivers) if you will be installing other devices like USB soundcards.

Mirror 1: (download all the parts you need and unzip the multi part archive)

IMG

http://goo.gl/oD7ey
http://goo.gl/gFzmC
http://goo.gl/2r5zN

VHD

http://goo.gl/PSedT
http://goo.gl/YaoAI

Mirror 2: http://min.us/mKH1YBPaJ

NOTE: Read everything below while downloading, the O2 logo will stay on screen for about 45 seconds throughout the first half of the boot - there will be no scrolling text any more. Be sure to chose the right EFI files for WITH HUB or NO HUB. You will probably find that port 4 on the hub is the only one that will boot.

Due to hosting costs, I've now 'retired' Build 1 & 2, but I can provide a download link on request.

Standing on the shoulders of giants, I have prepared Tiny XP Pro SP3 REV.11 for the Joggler. I couldn't have done this without the help of some clever people, so I need to thank Eric, Dan, Pete, Mick, and probably many others who solved all the problems with XP/2003. Also Team eXPerience for Tiny XP.

A full working version of XP Pro, with Tablet PC edition components, this version is initially optimised for HDD or similarly fast access USB or ZIF storage, but there is a desktop shortcut to c:\eXPerience and the .reg files that the team behind Tiny XP, Experience included to help users reduce the memory footprint of the installation by disabling services, etc. You can select 5 options ranging from DEFAULT (everything works) to MANIAC (not a lot works). Build 3 is set to LITE, which works well for the majority of media and internet usage. Below that you may get problems. New for Build 3 are quick shortcuts in that same folder as above to change Desktop theme to Classic.

**YOUR FLASH MEMORY MAY GET WORN OUT VERY QUICKLY WITH XP**.

I've tested this thoroughly, but the usual disclaimer is that you agree to use this at your own risk. Oh and you should have a spare XP license for your Joggler, too. :)

desktop_b3.jpg
desktop_b3a.jpg
Stand out added features & fixes of BUILD 3 Tiny XP Pro for the Joggler are:
  • Stable - runs for days without a problem. Thoroughly soak tested during the build on both HDD and flash stick.
    32bit colour, large, single tap to open desktop & start menu shortcuts to included apps, configuration, Tablet PC keyboard and other minor tweaks to make using the touchscreen more convenient.
    Touchscreen can be calibrated via a desktop shortcut.
    Passes Windows Genuine Advantage - Windows Update works, with security updates up to date and you should be able to install MSSE if you need a virus scanner.
    IE8 & Chrome Browsers. Chrome has Adblock Plus and a theme which matches the Windows Zune theme.
    Tablet PC components, and XP Tablet Experience Pack.
    Windows Media Player, Tversity, media playback codecs. The recently released Squeeze Play for Windows.
    uTorrent setup to load torrent files from a shared folder. Save to the shared folder and your Joggler will start downloading. Download Acceleration Manager for pausing and resuming large downloads included too.
    Windows Time will update itself shortly after boot when Internet connected.
    Desktop background displays useful information, like IP Addresses, free disk space.
    VNC Service. The password is joggler. Get HippoRemote Lite for your iDevice and use this keyboard and mouse app to control your Joggler over your LAN/WLAN.
    System Scheduler app for automating tasks, key presses and basic mouse interraction. Very Useful.
    CCleaner to keep your Joggler clean and fresh.
    NovaBench benchmark software installed. Reports the Joggler performs similar to a 7 year old P4.
    Small download size - 510MB for Build 1, 925MB for Build 2, 813MB for build 3.
    Sexy Zune Windows theme.
    The screen saver is the Fliqlo clock and it looks great.
    Choice of VHD or IMG to create your boot disk from.
    Ext2 Explore app, which you may like to use to browse the internal OS.
    Improved network behaviour, correctly identifies itself on the network.
    More attractive boot sequence, hiding the ugly scrolling text that moves to fast to read, anyway. Look for the little Jogglers appearing in the Windows boot!
    Page file is set at static 742MB without requiring manual setup.
    In the EFI partition are 2 cmd files to enable you to quickly chose between booting via a hub and not booting via a hub (which knocks seconds off the boot-time.
Disabling and enabling the internal speakers
  • The speakers do not automatically mute when using the headphone socket, so if you plan to use headphones or external speakers (not advisable, see below) you can disable the internal speakers. Thanks must go to Delko on the Chinese HiPDA forum who posted a modified driver. Using this, I have made a simple registry fix which you will need to download separately from Build 3. You will need to restart Windows for the new registry settings to take effect. The speakers will be silent when the Joggler is not playing music, although they will still spit out a low level digital fizz when music is playing from the headphone socket.

Due to the way that the registry setting is located, this will most likely not work on another person's XP/W2003 build without the reg file pointing to the correct registry location for that build.
    speakers disabled.zip
    (2.15 KiB) Downloaded 1394 times
    speakers enabled.zip
    (2.14 KiB) Downloaded 1186 times
Outstanding problems:
  • Warm reboot does not work for USB hubs.

Some Jogglers may not start the NIC device (error 10). Unsure why, but I have one Joggler that reports the same hardware as the other, but no NIC. WIFI works and USB to Ethernet adaptors are really cheap and the Belkin one I have works well on a hub with a usb stick. We suspect this is a NIC firmware issue that affects some Jogglers.

Occasionally, people report that their display is offset. Switching between screen resolutions fixed that problem for them. Not observed on my Jogglers

Installation instructions for download & install:
  • Chose either the VHD or IMG depending on which version is easier for you to write from.

Unzip joggler-xp-mevi-16.12.11.vhd or joggler-xp-mevi-16.12.11.img.(3GB)

VHD Instructions:
    Mount the VHD - (W7 users can use the W7 disk management snap-in) You can skip this stage if your imaging tool supports this format.
    Copy the VHD to your choice of USB HDD, SSD or flash stick using your favourite cloning app - (I use MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition).

IMG instructions:
    Write the IMG to your choice of USB HDD, SSD or flash stick using your favourite app - (I use Win32DiskImager).

Before safely removing your USB device from your PC, if you want to use a usb hub, you should run the withhub.cmd file in the EFI partition. Some OS users should simply copy the contents of the WITHHUB folder into the root of the EFI partition. You will probably find that port 4 on the hub is the only one that will boot.
    Plug the USB drive into your Joggler and switch on. You should find that it recognises and installs your hardware and disk, but most else will already be installed. Restart when prompted.
The Administrator account logs in automatically, but should you need it, the password is joggler

I found this tool for Windows. It can convert between different disk image formats so if you're on a Windows machine, pick your favourite image type to download and convert it if needed.

http://min.us/mKH1YBPaJ

I've used it to convert beetween these disk image formats: VHD, VMDK & IMG. Very useful.

Take care everyone

Mevi
Last edited by Mevi on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:05 pm, edited 29 times in total.
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
danfoshizzle

Re: RELEASE - Windows XP Professional SP3

Post by danfoshizzle »

Wow mev well done, gonna try it out tonight.

PS love the post looks alot better than my wall of jumbled together words on the 2003 lmao
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
danb79

Post by danb79 »

Great work mevi thankyou.

Found a good forum for touch screen windows loads of games and gui's,
http://touchswipe.com/index.php

currently im liking blue dolphin great touch ui
http://touchswipe.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=718
bristoljoggler

Post by bristoljoggler »

ooh great, perfect infact.

Now excuse my ignorance, but I am currently running gforums product from joggler.info and his own website. Now this is great, but I feel like I want something a little more from my joggler who is starting to get a little neglected in the kitchen.

Is the above possible to put on a standard joggler, that is I have not taken it apart and added any bigger internal memory or done anything to the hardware in anyway.

Also does anyone know if the files are still around for my current version the gforums one if all things go a bit pear shaped.. ( I have changed laptops since then and lost much data..:( )

I guess I am thinking aloud here, but want to have a better tool, realisitcally though what do I now use my joggler for, a radio in the kitchen, but would like to be able to access normal webpages - I assume then you can stream tv through sites like tvcatchup.com ?

Hmmm, any advice for a bit of a clutz would be great.

Thanks

*edit
ok so should probably do some more digging before jumping in there. got a bit carried away what with finding out people were still so active :)

Seems like roobarb has created a similar version to what I have been using. so thats good news in that respect.

sorry for hi-jacking your thread.

Dave
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

I'd not tried much beyond a bit of youtube on the XP Joggler. I'll let you know about tvcatchup.com later on - funnily enough, i'm watching QI on my HTPC now!!

You won't need to change the hardware of your Joggler. You can pick up a tiny flash drive, load it up with your choice of operating system and plug it in the side port. With the right touch interface, you might not need a keyboard, but most of the builds here will boot with a flash stick, keyboard and mouse plugged into a hub. Get a IR receiver and you could use a MCE remote with the right software.

That's a good idea that I will try as I have all that to hand, although I'm not sure there are official XP drivers for the MCE receiver.
Last edited by Mevi on Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dps5pt

Post by dps5pt »

Looks nice Mevi, does the image have pagefile and hyperthreading support?
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

danb79 wrote: currently im liking blue dolphin great touch ui
I'm investigating alternative shells for touch input already. I like that intel shell, but looks like W7 on that screenshot. I'm playing with SharpEnviro right now.... Maybe for V2. :D

yup, pagefile is a static 742MB and windows sees '2' atom processors.

Mevi

Post by Mevi »

danfoshizzle wrote:Wow mev well done, gonna try it out tonight.

PS love the post looks alot better than my wall of jumbled together words on the 2003 lmao
Yeah, I was trying out the options on the text editor. I was in danger of making it look like a teenage girl's MySpace page. :D

danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

anything but glitter text lol
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

dps5pt

Post by dps5pt »

Mevi wrote:
danb79 wrote: currently im liking blue dolphin great touch ui
I'm investigating alternative shells for touch input already. I like that intel shell, but looks like W7 on that screenshot. I'm playing with SharpEnviro right now.... Maybe for V2. :D

yup, pagefile is a static 742MB and windows sees '2' atom processors.
thanks - sounds good, 73% downloaded ;)
pete

Post by pete »

Very Nice Mevi!

I wrote the image to the KingSpec SSD USB stick.

Boots fast; runs XP fast.

DHCP log shows:
18:04:59 dhcpd DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.244.194 (192.168.244.129) from cc:cc:cc:cc:c6:c6 (JogglerXP) via eth1
18:04:59 dhcpd DHCPACK on 192.168.244.194 to cc:cc:cc:cc:c6:c6 (JogglerXP) via eth1
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Partition magic makes the cloning the vhd really easy, just open in partition magic and clone to your partition on the boot device
more to come!!

danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Super quick too just did it in about 2 and half minutes!
more to come!!

danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Can report the same problems as my images regarding ethernet, still a no go for me, but i use wifi all the time anyway so not a problem for me, great work Mevi, You've inspired me to totally rethink my builds, time to get building lol
more to come!!

pete

Post by pete »

Great Stuff there Mevi.

Writing the image (playing some) to the ZIF drive, IDE drive and generic 8Gb USB stick later.
Last edited by pete on Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Thank-you Mevi for providing the Joggler community another first! Excellent stuff you did!

Here's a quickie CM and Novabench benchmark using the USB SSD stick.
Attachments
Novabench.jpg
CM-New.jpg
- Pete

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

Pete, I got a score of 101 with a HDD, but the write speeds look ok on the SSD. Was your benchmark with any tweaks or just default install?

I was up late last night working on a touch friendly XP Shell. I'll upload a few screenshots sometime... I'll try to keep it all in the one image as before and give the option to switch to the touch shell after install. Might need some help with the colour scheme and suggestions for how to maximise screen real estate.

Mevi

Post by Mevi »

Well I wouldn't want to take too much credit for this, as I just assembled the best of what was already out there and gave it a tweak. Some things, like the NIC problem are probably still outside of my knowledge. I'll open up the fully working Joggler and look over the board with a magnifying glass to see if there are differences there.

Oh, a handy tip for install and setup dialogues that don't fit on the joggler's screen - if you VNC into the Joggler, you can change the desktop resolution to say 1024 x 768 and do what you need to. The Joggler can't display that and it's screen goes blue, but the VNC window changes size. I found that when changing back, I needed to 'list all modes' to find 800 x 480 again.

You should find the c:\eXPerience folder and all the goodies they included. There are batch files to remove some components, and while I did remove some stuff during testing I didn't see much of an improvement, if any and left things alone. The biggest improvement to boot time was to show the hidden devices and uninstall the stuff left over from the original virtualpc install and when booting on different jogglers with different hdds.

Speaking of virtualpc, you should all find I've kept a copy of the original ntldr, ntdetect and i think windows\system32\VGA.sys in their relevant folders so you can probably restore them and boot that partition in virtualpc. I expect that will be the quicker option when doing a windows update and designing the touch interface for the next build.

danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Re booting in virtual pc, just don't forget to change vga.sys back to default
more to come!!

danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

And on the touch interface front, you know we will help you tinker lol
more to come!!