Any HP Touchpad owners?

Non Joggler related discussion.
dwl99

Any HP Touchpad owners?

Post by dwl99 »

I wondered how many of us had managed to get our hands on a HP Touchpad in the recent firesale? What do you think of WebOS? Anyone tried the CM7 alpha yet?
dps5pt

Re: Any HP Touchpad owners?

Post by dps5pt »

yeah managed to grab a 32GB one, I'd imagine a lot of joggler users are also HUKD users so would expect a few picked a TP up. I think webOS is excellent - when ever I use a touch screen device now I lapse into swiping up to try and get back to the card view :-)
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I got a 32GB one too. WebOS isn't too bad at all & is a good bit faster after the OTA upgrade to 3.04. It's still let down by the very limited range of apps though & I still very much prefer Android. I think I'll wait until CM7 has more of the bugs ironed out before I install it.
dps5pt

Post by dps5pt »

android running in a card sounds attractive if performance is good - tried the alpha release but still away to go. If msn plugin comes out and kalem video player support upnp - I'd be very happy with WebOS - you using the uberkenel too?
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Yes, they didn't waste much time updating Uberkernel & Govnah, did they? I've got Kalemsoft too but it cannot play any of my remote video files even though it sees the UPNP servers. I cannot believe that there's ony one decent video player for WebOS!

One of my colleagues at work got an Advent Vega which just served to highlight how much better the TP's screen is!
Last edited by dwl99 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dps5pt

Post by dps5pt »

And as with the Joggler there's the excellent community, which is part of the fun of these gadgets - boring when things just do everything you want out of the box :-)
mozster

Post by mozster »

I managed to pick up a 32gb one... It's a much better device since the 3.0.4 update.

not installed Android yet (or Ubuntu)... I've read somewhere on precentral that you could play video in Kalemsoft over samba shares if you mount them to the right place
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I managed to get upnplayer to see my upnp server & got it streaming video last night! It's quite easy to hack a system file to turn off the popup window that appears every 3 minutes.
mozster

Post by mozster »

Are you talking about UPnP AV Player for webOS? I gave that a go for mp3s - quite liked the interface, but it wouldn't play any videos that weren't transcoded for the Touchpad - have you got all your videos on the server ready prepared or has the app added support for more containers and codecs?
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Yes - I got UPnP AV Player to stream video but only mp4, not avi. I tried Kalemsoft + Kalem media server on my PC but with no success.
jimeney

Post by jimeney »

Sadly, didn't get one at the firesale price, even though I managed to place orders with 4 different major retailers - all cancelled my orders :(

I have one nonetheless, a 32GB and I'm eager to get cyanogenmod up and running, but not until a few more major quirks are ironed out.

I love WebOS though, it's certainly an underrated operating system and if only there were more developers working on the platform.