Debian Bullseye for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
roobarb!

Re: Debian Bullseye for OpenFrame

Post by roobarb! »

Thanks for confirming, @pete - the build system caches the Bullseye base image and uses that instead of downloading a new copy every time. On rare occasions there's a change in a package which isn't reflected in the repos and apt falls over when updating the cached packages in the image.

Realistically I could clear the cache every time, because it was really added as a timesaver when testing. If it happens again I probably will.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
pete

Post by pete »

Andy,

Do you think if I installed latest build on a Seabios'd Openframe1 that I could do a fixboot repair on it to get it to boot via MBR?

IE: I would write the image to a 16Gb SSD, then boot with a fix boot ubuntu stick?
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
gforums

Post by gforums »

Good evening and nice to see more progress on the joggler, great 😃

Mine wasn't used for a longer time, but I have a question regarding that debian build:

Would out should it work to install a lightweight desktop plus Anbox to launch Android apps on the higher device? Is there performance sufficient? Anyone tried it?

If that could work, I'd live to put Chrome, Maps and some basic stuff into the device and use it in the kitchen.

Thanks for any of yours feedback,
Best,

Christian
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

pete wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:54 pm Do you think if I installed latest build on a Seabios'd Openframe1 that I could do a fixboot repair on it to get it to boot via MBR?

IE: I would write the image to a 16Gb SSD, then boot with a fix boot ubuntu stick?
If I knew what fixboot was, I could probably give you a better answer! :D
gforums wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:42 pm Would out should it work to install a lightweight desktop plus Anbox to launch Android apps on the higher device? Is there performance sufficient? Anyone tried it?

If that could work, I'd live to put Chrome, Maps and some basic stuff into the device and use it in the kitchen.
It'll handle a lightweight desktop environment no problem, but Chrome is a real memory hog, so don't expect it to cope with much.

I think it was LightDM that I used recently, that worked a treat. Think it had a right-click background menu for launching apps too.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
pete

Post by pete »

Fix boot redoes the boot partition. IE: so it will convert the EFI boot to an MBR boot.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Oh, okay - erm, maybe? :lol:
pete

Post by pete »

@gforums

I tried using the Home Assistant web interface using Opera in Linux. It worked but still was slow. Chrome is the slowest.
- Pete

Auto mater
gforums

Post by gforums »

Thanks for your answers!
Yeah probably the Joggler isn't the best choice for using it with nowadays mobile apps...
Nevertheless I'll give it a try just out of curiosity :)

Thanks, Christian
pete

Post by pete »

What works best for me these days with the Joggler is using "old" Windows embedded (even CE) with old touchscreen overlays (with touchscreen designer software) replacing the original EFI bios with Seabios (X86) and Debian running Squeezeplayer. I have 15 running embedded Windows and 4 running Debian Linux now.

I prefer running Windows 11 and newest Ubuntu on my tablets here and never turn on my Android tables.

Just testing an HP Pavilion X360 tablet and still use my two HP G2 Elitepad tablets which run Windows 11 and Ubuntu 22.04 (dual boot).

Today running Ubuntu (22.04) on one automation server which is running Homeseer and Home Assistant and an Oracle Windows VB for Microsoft SAPI such that TTS today is a mixture of old MS SAPI and new Alexa.

I utilize Kodi for STB's lately which are CoreElec KODI OS running on Amy logic S912 Octocore CPUs which do 4K just fine for me. (3Gb of RAM with a 1Gb NIC). Preference is Linux over Android. Even using Kodi in two automobiles with custom python software managing the bus. (MicroPC with serial connection to bus and video device which comes up on the automobile HU).

Just testing new Firebox which works nicely but it is mostly advertisements which I do not like. I have read that the boot loader on the Firebox Cube is locked such that I cannot modify the Android OS on it.

I did at one time install Kodi on the Openframe 2 device with a Crystal HD miniPCie card and it did work fine for playback of 1080 locally and streaming via Gb port.
- Pete

Auto mater
fanshawe

Post by fanshawe »

Hi folks,

I'm using this image and it's proving very stable, other than I am having trouble with stuttered playback when using BBC sounds. Other music sources are fine on the joggler and other players on my network (e.g. Squeezebox Radios) play BBC sounds fine as well. I realise this isn't the support page for the BBC sounds plugin but does anyone know how I might go about troubleshooting this on the Joggler? Are there any logs that I can check (or enable) to get some more info?

Thanks!

Peter
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

fanshawe wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:47 pm Hi folks,

I'm using this image and it's proving very stable, other than I am having trouble with stuttered playback when using BBC sounds. Other music sources are fine on the joggler and other players on my network (e.g. Squeezebox Radios) play BBC sounds fine as well. I realise this isn't the support page for the BBC sounds plugin but does anyone know how I might go about troubleshooting this on the Joggler? Are there any logs that I can check (or enable) to get some more info?

Thanks!

Peter
Hi Peter

First of, ensure your LMS is the latest

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=8.3

ronnie
fanshawe

Post by fanshawe »

Man in a van wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:08 pm
Hi Peter

ronnie
Hi ronnie - thanks for the suggestion. I am running the latest stable version: 8.3.0 - 1667251155 @ Fri 04 Nov 2022. Do you know of something in the nightly release that could help with this?
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

fanshawe wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:43 pm
Man in a van wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:08 pm
Hi Peter

ronnie
Hi ronnie - thanks for the suggestion. I am running the latest stable version: 8.3.0 - 1667251155 @ Fri 04 Nov 2022. Do you know of something in the nightly release that could help with this?
Well it should fix the problem.
I have just finished an install of Squeezeplay on the Debian Bullseye and BBC Sounds is playing without a problem.

Where is your LMS installed?

There is a Workaround (which I don't use)

LMS Settings >> Advanced >> BBC Sounds >> Advanced Settings There is a tickbox to
Hide the audio sample rate from LMS. This can help with a specific transcoding issue on devices that can't natively support 48000
Try that, remember to tick Apply and restart LMS
fanshawe

Post by fanshawe »

Man in a van wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:58 pm Well it should fix the problem.
I have just finished an install of Squeezeplay on the Debian Bullseye and BBC Sounds is playing without a problem.
That's good to hear - did you have issues on the Stable LMS release?
Man in a van wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:58 pm Where is your LMS installed?
It's on a separate PC running Ubuntu. I have no issues with playback from other devices on the network.
Man in a van wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:58 pm There is a Workaround (which I don't use)

LMS Settings >> Advanced >> BBC Sounds >> Advanced Settings There is a tickbox to
Hide the audio sample rate from LMS. This can help with a specific transcoding issue on devices that can't natively support 48000
Try that, remember to tick Apply and restart LMS
Oddly this was already ticked for me. I disabled it, restarted LMS and then I wasn't able to play back BBC Sounds at all on the Joggler, the message I got was Unsupported Sample Rate. I seem to remember there was something needed to force the sample rate on the Joggler itself; I'll see if I can find that. Thanks for your help
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

viewtopic.php?p=32469#p32469

I haven't done this for a long time, as I say It's not really required :)

ronnie
fanshawe

Post by fanshawe »

Man in a van wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:30 pm viewtopic.php?p=32469#p32469

ronnie
Thanks Ronnie!

I just noticed someone's advice from the 'Squeezeplay for joggler' thread to edit /etc/asound.conf and change the sample rate from 44.1 to 48KHz. This must be the issue on mine, it is set to 44.1 at the moment.

However I think there must be another issue with my install because I seem to have a read-only filesystem; I can't edit the file with either 'sudo vi /etc/asound.conf' or by gaining root with 'sudo su'.

I'll keep looking!
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

fanshawe wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:43 pm
Man in a van wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:30 pm viewtopic.php?p=32469#p32469

ronnie
Thanks Ronnie!

I just noticed someone's advice from the 'Squeezeplay for joggler' thread to edit /etc/asound.conf and change the sample rate from 44.1 to 48KHz. This must be the issue on mine, it is set to 44.1 at the moment.

I'll keep looking!
Yep thatis from gegs I think

Would you please describe your setup in a littel more detail, lms location, wireless or Ethernet, player, that sort of thing :)

Time for lunch
fanshawe

Post by fanshawe »

Man in a van wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:52 pm
Would you please describe your setup in a littel more detail, lms location, wireless or Ethernet, player, that sort of thing :)
I have the LMS on ethernet. The rest of the players - several Radios and one Joggler - are all using wifi.

That's the strange thing about it, it doesn't seem to be related to network because I can play other services on the Joggler (e.g. Spotify or local FLACs from the LMS) without any stuttering.

I'm hoping that if I can change the sample rate it will fix it, but I need to sort out the read-only file system first. It seems that all content is read-only at the moment.
fanshawe

Post by fanshawe »

fanshawe wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:18 pm I'm hoping that if I can change the sample rate it will fix it, but I need to sort out the read-only file system first. It seems that all content is read-only at the moment.
Indeed that was it. After a fsck I was able to update /etc/asound.conf and now BBC sounds is playing fine on the joggler. Thanks for your help Ronnie!
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

fanshawe wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:34 pm
fanshawe wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:18 pm I'm hoping that if I can change the sample rate it will fix it, but I need to sort out the read-only file system first. It seems that all content is read-only at the moment.
Indeed that was it. After a fsck I was able to update /etc/asound.conf and now BBC sounds is playing fine on the joggler. Thanks for your help Ronnie!
Good news, I had forgottn geg's post

Would be so kind as to detail how you did that, it will help others (and save me a google search :) )

I'm currently trying ralphy's squeezeplay on the Joggler, I can get it working but album art is missing/haphazard :? :x

ronnie