Debian Bullseye for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
alexis92

Re: Debian Bullseye for OpenFrame

Post by alexis92 »

roobarb! wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:32 am ________________________________________________________________

Debian Bullseye for OpenFrame (Kernel 5.10)
Operating System Patches / Kernel Patches / Build Log

We have once again outlived another long-term-support operating system! :lol:

This time we're going completely modern; Debian Bullseye with the officially supported 5.10 kernel branch - with working audio switching!

One really nice thing is that we're now in line with the latest Raspberry Pi operating system, meaning a lot of their documentation should be now be applicable to the OpenFrame. Hardware variations dependent of course, but still handy given their huge user base of tinkerers.

Before anybody asks, no, our old nemeses of Imagination Technologies and Intel still prevent anybody from having OpenGL support on the GMA500 Poulsbo chipset. However, we are using the kernel driver with... well, whatever updates it has seen in recent years. ;)

The automated build system lives on (in fact it's just been completely refreshed) so you should always be able to visit the link up above and get the very latest kernel with a fully patched operating system. Build logs are here in case you want to check the latest version came together without errors.

As with the previous image this is command line only out of the box, created to be as 'vanilla' as possible. This means you can use instructions available for any Debian Bullseye system to install whichever GUI environment you might like. Or none at all.

Highlights
  • Single image for any OpenFrame.
  • Built for size; about 430 MB space used initially.
  • Fully working audio and video with kernel drivers.
  • Simple before-boot wireless network configuration.

Installation and Setup

So I'm not editing in multiple places, please check the instructions on birdslikewires.net.

Issues

- Right now I have not tested the of-install scripts, so these are likely to be a disaster.
Rather than hold up the release for a few convenience scripts, I'll get around to these when I can.™

- SqueezePlay is in dire need of a revamp.
I've not been using it recently, though I am keen to update it... check my trade marked comment above.

- Website instructions are a bit outdated.

I hope this update finds you all well and you can make good use of it! 8-)
The link doesn't seem to be working for me, just wanted to ask if it is something on my end?
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

Paul Webster wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:29 pm At the moment ...
of@openframe:~$ sudo of-update
Server error by openbeak.net (500).
Update aborted.
I tried to install Squeezeplay using of-install and it failed.
I traced the problem to the useradd command that has -s bash instead of -s /bin/bash
Made that change locally and reran of-install and it worked.

Went off the suggest that fix over in repository and found that it was already in there at least 2 years ago.
So I think that, at least until of-update is working again ... the scripts in the downloadable image need updating.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

I have tried using "of-expand"

It sort of works :?

After the reboot one has to wait for a long time as the screen reports blocks being added until finished.

I know roobarb! has mentioned the "of" commands are one his list of thinks to fix.

ronnie
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Paul Webster wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:57 amthe scripts in the downloadable image need updating.
They do indeed. I'm impressed you got SqueezePlay to install, amazed in fact!
Man in a van wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:30 am I have tried using "of-expand"

It sort of works :?
That one should be working fine. I use that on every test build. It does take a while after rebooting to complete the resize, just the nature of the task, but the system is completely usable while it does so.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

One big difference for me compared to the previous build that I had installed ... is that the WiFi has remained up the whole time.
With the previous one, on the same Joggler in the same location and same access points, I found that the WiFi was dropping out after a few hours.
With this one I have had SSH session open for 2 days with no drops.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Paul Webster wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:57 amWith this one I have had SSH session open for 2 days with no drops.
That's good news, I assume you're using the original RT2770 (iirc) adapter?
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

I see RT2860 mentioned in dmesg.

However, SSH session did drop after another day or two but, unlike with the previous OS version, the WiFi connection on the Joggler reestablished itself so I could SSH in again.
ethirolle

Post by ethirolle »

Hey folks! First post here... and of course, I'm hoping someone can help me solve a little problem ;-)

I got Debian Bullseye for OpenFrame installed, created a "squeezeplay" user, and ran "sudo of-install squeezeplay"... and even installed Enhanced Digital Output (EDO). And it works! UI and touch screen are functioning, and I can play music via the USB out into a DAC, and on to my recover. Woo-hoo!!

BUT... I can't turn off or reboot this Joggler from the options (Reboot and Shutdown) under the "Quit" menu in the Jive UI. When I try, it hangs for about 10 seconds, and then goes back to the main menu.

And if I make a change (like change the Digital Out) that forces a reboot, the UI just hangs on the "Rebooting" screen.

I've tried adding the squeezeplay user to the sudo group, then editing sudoers file to add this:

Code: Select all

# Allow squeezeplay to run commands in /opt/squeezeplay/bin/openframe_power.sh, with no need for password
squeezeplay ALL = NOPASSWD: /bin/systemctl reboot -i, /bin/systemctl poweroff -i, /bin/killall jive
And I think I tried a couple other things that I have now forgotten... but no luck.

Any idea how I can resolve this? I'd like to be able to shut down the Joggler without needing to SSH into it (and I hate just pulling the plug without sending the OS the proper shutdown command),

Thanks!!

---

Addendum: I figured out which log file to tail: /var/log/daemon.log. When I click the "Shutdown" menu option, I see this in that log:

Jul 22 02:33:54 openframe startx[659]: Failed to set wall message, ignoring: Interactive authentication required.
Jul 22 02:33:54 openframe startx[659]: Failed to power off system via logind: Interactive authentication required.
Jul 22 02:33:54 openframe startx[659]: Failed to start poweroff.target: Interactive authentication required.
Jul 22 02:33:54 openframe startx[659]: See system logs and 'systemctl status poweroff.target' for details.
Following the suggestion in that last log line yields:

# systemctl status poweroff.target
● poweroff.target - Power-Off
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/poweroff.target; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: inactive (dead)
       Docs: man:systemd.special(7)
but I'm still not sure how to bypass the need for these interactive authentications...

Thanks!

---

OK, a bit more work and I think I got this figured out. Solution was in two parts:

(1) re-order the lines in /etc/sudoers so that the configuration for the user squeezeplay comes AFTER the config for the sudo group (per https://askubuntu.com/a/340669). In that way, the user config overrides the group config:

# Allow members of group sudo to execute any command
%sudo	ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL

# Allow squeezeplay to run commands in /opt/squeezeplay/bin/openframe_power.sh, with no need for password
squeezeplay ALL = NOPASSWD: /bin/systemctl reboot,  /bin/systemctl reboot --no-wall -i, /bin/systemctl reboot -i, /bin/systemctl poweroff -i, /bin/killall jive
(2) edit "/opt/squeezeplay/bin/openframe_power.sh" to add "sudo " before each command, like

sudo systemctl reboot -i
proddick

Post by proddick »

I am setting up another Joggler and downloaded the 4 Aug 2022 build 135 and it didn't boot. I noticed that it is a LOT smaller than previous ones so perhaps the build failed? I downloaded the 30 July 2022 build 134 and that one booted fine.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

proddick wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:18 pm I am setting up another Joggler and downloaded the 4 Aug 2022 build 135 and it didn't boot. I noticed that it is a LOT smaller than previous ones so perhaps the build failed? I downloaded the 30 July 2022 build 134 and that one booted fine.
Thanks for the heads-up, looks like some 404 error on the Debian apt servers killed this build. It limped along and generated an image, but yeah, it's broken.

I'll clear it out and let it run again overnight.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

roobarb! wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:09 pm I'll clear it out and let it run again overnight.
The .135 image looks fine this time!
pete

Post by pete »

Will try new image tonight (Chicago time).

Got to the end of the install of squeezeplay and see this:

Checksums match, continuing...
useradd: invalid shell 'bash'
chown: invalid user: ‘squeezeplay:audio’
sudo: unknown user: squeezeplay
sudo: error initializing audit plugin sudoers_audit
Cannot find user 'squeezeplay'.
No home directory found for user 'squeezeplay'.
cp: cannot stat '/opt/squeezeplay/share/plymouth/*': No such file or directory
Configuring splash theme 'squeezeplay'... updating initramfs... done.
Enabling 'grubquiet'... done.
Installation of SqueezePlay completed.
root@openframe:/usr/local/sbin#

Aug 22 21:26:41 openframe startx[782]: No protocol specified
Aug 22 21:26:41 openframe startx[782]: ..
Aug 22 21:26:39 openframe startx[782]: No protocol specified
Aug 22 21:26:39 openframe startx[782]: ..
Aug 22 21:26:37 openframe startx[782]: No protocol specified
Aug 22 21:26:37 openframe startx[782]: ..
Aug 22 21:26:35 openframe startx[782]: No protocol specified
Aug 22 21:26:35 openframe startx[782]: ..
Aug 22 21:26:33 openframe startx[782]: No protocol specified
Aug 22 21:26:33 openframe startx[782]: ..
Aug 22 21:26:31 openframe startx[782]: No protocol specified
Aug 22 21:26:31 openframe startx[782]: ..
Aug 22 21:26:29 openframe startx[782]: No protocol specified
Aug 22 21:26:29 openframe startx[782]: ..
Aug 22 21:26:27 openframe startx[782]: No protocol specified
Aug 22 21:26:27 openframe startx[782]: waiting for X server to begin accepting connections .
Aug 22 21:26:25 openframe startx[782]:
Aug 22 21:26:25 openframe startx[782]: No protocol specified
Aug 22 21:26:22 openframe startx[783]: (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
Aug 22 21:26:22 openframe startx[783]: (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Aug 22 21:26:22 2022
Aug 22 21:26:22 openframe startx[783]: (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
Aug 22 21:26:22 openframe startx[783]: (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
Aug 22 21:26:22 openframe startx[783]: Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
Aug 22 21:26:22 openframe startx[783]: to make sure that you have the latest version.
Aug 22 21:26:22 openframe startx[783]: Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
Aug 22 21:26:22 openframe startx[783]: Current version of pixman: 0.40.0
Aug 22 21:26:22 openframe startx[783]: xorg-server 2:1.20.11-1+deb11u2 (https://www.debian.org/support)
Aug 22 21:26:22 openframe startx[783]: Build Date: 05 August 2022 08:00:36AM
Aug 22 21:26:22 openframe startx[783]: Kernel command line: acpi=force acpi_backlight=vendor reboot=acpi panic=20 intel_idle.max_cstate=2 thermal.psv=90 net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0 irqpoll rootwait vt.global_cursor_default=0 BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-5.10.137op root=UUID=b5b767d0-a887-11ec-9738-020e8e24c2b3 rootfstype=ext2 ro splash
Aug 22 21:26:22 openframe startx[783]: Current Operating System: Linux openframe 5.10.137op #1 SMP Mon Aug 22 02:11:03 UTC 2022 i686
Aug 22 21:26:22 openframe startx[783]: Build Operating System: linux Debian
Aug 22 21:26:22 openframe startx[783]: X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Aug 22 21:26:22 openframe startx[783]: X.Org X Server 1.20.11

Got it working by giving rights to everyone for the squeezebox directories. No more buzzing sound when plugged in to the ear jack.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

Hi
I tried to enable the wifi by overwriting the file network.yaml
but it seems the user "of" doesn't have permission to do that.
may I have the access of root?
thanks
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

cszhy wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:57 pm Hi
thanks
Read this for how to enable wi-fi

https://birdslikewires.net/debian-for-openframe
alexis92

Post by alexis92 »

Pretty good guide! Gotta love the ones that are well organized.
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

Man in a van wrote:
cszhy wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:57 pm Hi
thanks
Read this for how to enable wi-fi

https://birdslikewires.net/debian-for-openframe
thanks Buddy

通过我的 PCCM00 上的 Tapatalk发言

actually I edit the network.yaml according to the instruction on local disk.
the problem is I can't upload that file by the user "of" through winscp
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

Hi it seems the user "of" is not able to upload file in winacp.how can I fix that
roobarb! wrote:
Man in a van wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:48 pm Should I continue as user "of" or is it best practice to create a new user ? :?
The default "of" user is in the sudoers list, so can perform superuser tasks when authenticated. So if you were being strict, yes, you could create a "squeezeplay" user with no special privileges and install LMS using that account.

Would I do it that way? Probably... but I wouldn't lose sleep if I hadn't. :)

pete

Post by pete »

@cszhy

You have to utilize sudo for all of the scripts and commands. This caused me issues with the scripts that created the squeezebox user and xorg stuff anyhow.

I mentioned that I was able to get Squeezeplayer going on the Joggler. That said I cannot get it going on the OP2 (large Openpeak with two speakers) due to rights issues as I can manually run it fine using the of user.

This is using the same stick as the Joggler and creating a new stick for the OF2.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

cszhy wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:36 am Hi it seems the user "of" is not able to upload file in winacp.how can I fix that
roobarb! wrote:
Man in a van wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:48 pm Should I continue as user "of" or is it best practice to create a new user ? :?
The default "of" user is in the sudoers list, so can perform superuser tasks when authenticated. So if you were being strict, yes, you could create a "squeezeplay" user with no special privileges and install LMS using that account.

Either create a new user or use PuTTY from your windows machine

login as user of
password joggler

cd /boot
sudo nano network.yaml

edit the file

save and exit Ctrl+x Y Enter

sudo reboot
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

Man in a van wrote:
cszhy wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:36 am Hi it seems the user "of" is not able to upload file in winacp.how can I fix that
roobarb! wrote: The default "of" user is in the sudoers list, so can perform superuser tasks when authenticated. So if you were being strict, yes, you could create a "squeezeplay" user with no special privileges and install LMS using that account.

Either create a new user or use PuTTY from your windows machine

login as user of
password joggler

cd /boot
sudo nano network.yaml

edit the file

save and exit Ctrl+x Y Enter

sudo reboot
Thanks a lot