Ubuntu Emergency Mode on Expansion

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Scriven33

Ubuntu Emergency Mode on Expansion

Post by Scriven33 »

I have just started with the Joggler, as I want to run it as a Home Automation dashboard.
Quickly discovered that the internal memory isn't enough to run Chrome, so started with memory sticks to boot from instead using the Ubuntu from https://birdslikewires.net/
However every time I run of-expand, the device reboots and goes straight in to Emergency Mode. I have tried four different sticks, of various manufacturers and sizes and they all do the same thing.

Therefore, is this something that is supposed to happen?
If not, is there something I am doing wrong?

I am a little limited on stick choice, as I don't want anything hanging out of the side, so I am only testing the very small drives. I did try a more normal stick, with the same result.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks.
hawsey

Re: Ubuntu Emergency Mode on Expansion

Post by hawsey »

Scriven33 wrote:I have just started with the Joggler, as I want to run it as a Home Automation dashboard.
Quickly discovered that the internal memory isn't enough to run Chrome, so started with memory sticks to boot from instead using the Ubuntu from https://birdslikewires.net/
However every time I run of-expand, the device reboots and goes straight in to Emergency Mode. I have tried four different sticks, of various manufacturers and sizes and they all do the same thing.

Therefore, is this something that is supposed to happen?
If not, is there something I am doing wrong?

I am a little limited on stick choice, as I don't want anything hanging out of the side, so I am only testing the very small drives. I did try a more normal stick, with the same result.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks.
I'm not good with Linux to be honest but I've often used Gparted live off a usb stick to repartition my Joggler usb builds .

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Welcome to the O2 Joggler Forum @Scriven33.

I have Ubuntu on my laptops here and always expand the base Ubuntu USB stick partition using GParted as mentioned above. Works 100% of the time.

Just recently purchased a small footprint 32Gb USB stick for the side of one Joggler and I do not notice it much.

Relating to Home Automation here utilize Home Assistant and Homeseer. Home Assistant will run on the Joggler but any browser use is way too slow.

I was running Home Assistant on a BeeLink BT3 Pro Intel CPU with 4Gb of RAM. It did work fine except as I added more automation stuff it started to overheat.

Now running Home Assistant on a Jetway JBC420U591 Fanless Intel® Celeron N3160 SoC 8Gb computer. It does better but it is kind of slow.

I have Jogglers today running as Squeezebox players and they do well with latest Ubuntu build. Other Jogglers have been modded these days and switched from the EFI boot bios to a Seabios Boot with embedded XPe. The embedded XPe does well with a lite Homeseer touchscreen interface which speaks to the mothership just fine.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Scriven33

Post by Scriven33 »

I just want to a run a browser interface to my Home Assistant instance.

I am beginning to come to the conclusion it is either a bad build of the software, or something I am doing, as Gparted is failing as well.
I have tried three different sticks, by three different brands, including Sandisk. Booting in to Gparted Live on another machine, the Gparted process fails at "Grow file system to fill the partition". I have also tried using different tools to write the image in case that was the issue.
Running various FSCK commands appears to do something, but doesn't resolve the actual problem.
pete

Post by pete »

Yes download this image.

https://birdslikewires.net/download/ope ... 5op.img.gz

Then write the image to a USB stick using this program (BalenaEtcher) which works in Windows, Linux or iOS.

https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Then before you boot up with it expand the second partition on the USB stick and leave the first partition alone.

Here is a Firefox weather page on the Joggler.
Joggler-1.jpg
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Scriven33

Post by Scriven33 »

Your link worked successfully - thank you. I noticed it was the older Kernel, which I hadn't tried. However installing that worked and I was able to successfully expand the partition with Gparted.
Chromium wouldn't install for some reason, but Firefox did, which will be fine.
pete

Post by pete »

Good news!!!

Relating to Kernel 5.4...

ALSA in Kernel 5.4 does not auto-detect audio jack hotplugging.

Old kernel still works best for me.

Opera is another lite weight web browser.
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

pete wrote:Good news!!!

Relating to Kernel 5.4...

Old kernel still works best for me.

Opera is another lite weight web browser.
Well that's a success Image. Does the image above have a desktop ?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

pete wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:32 pm Relating to Kernel 5.4...

Sigh, I reckon that one will have got the better of me. Can't count the number of hours I've spent tinkering, trying to get that working.
pete wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:32 pmOld kernel still works best for me.
Yeah, unless you're putting a Joggler directly on the internet then the 3.16 kernel is still spot-on. To be honest, even then it's unlikely a kernel bug will cause you issues at this stage.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
pete

Post by pete »

Does the image above have a desktop ?

No. You have to manually install it. You can start though by running a script.

Go to this directory first:

root@ICS-Jog-SQP-19:/usr/local/sbin# ls
of-backlight of-expand of-identifier of-ip of-scripts.ver of-timezone
of-clean of-flash of-install of-netplan of-settings of-update
root@ICS-Jog-SQP-19:/usr/local/sbin#

Have a look see at of-install script:

root@ICS-Jog-SQP-19:/usr/local/sbin# nano of-install

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/env bash

## of-install v1.15 (17th May 2020)
## Simple installers for software on OpenFrames.

usage() {
        echo "Usage: $0 <option> [options]"
        echo
        echo "  build        :  Installs kernel headers and essential build com$
        echo "  mplayer      :  Installs mplayer."
        echo "  plex         :  Installs Plex Media Player."
        echo "  squeezeplay  :  Installs SqueezePlay and the X.Org Server."
        echo "  xserver      :  Installs the X.Org Server."
        echo
        exit 1
You want to first install X.Org.Server

Then afterwards a simple desktop of your choice.
- Pete

Auto mater
Scriven33

Post by Scriven33 »

Thank you for everyone who helped. Unfortunately the general performance of the device is just too poor compared to Android tablets etc which we are using now, so it has gone back on eBay. I wish you all well with the devices, but my journey with it has come to an end.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Scriven33 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:42 pm Thank you for everyone who helped. Unfortunately the general performance of the device is just too poor compared to Android tablets etc which we are using now, so it has gone back on eBay. I wish you all well with the devices, but my journey with it has come to an end.
Ah, that's a shame. Understandable though, if you're looking for a miniature desktop experience. These devices are ideal single-task units with displays for pennies, but if you need more performance then the Raspberry Pi-alikes of this world span everything from below to significantly above OpenFrame levels of power.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)