Program cannot write to usb drive.

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Regor

Program cannot write to usb drive.

Post by Regor »

Hi

I am trying to get a program running on the native Joggler to save a file to an attached usb pen drive. The write is attempted but fails. The attempt is recorded in the Program's log. The Program can read files from the drive.

Has any forum user experienced this problem and have a solution they can share?

Regards

:(
Last edited by Regor on Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
gegs

Re: Program cannot write to usb drive.

Post by gegs »

Hi Regor,

Rather than start a new topic, it might be a good idea to put this under the 'Squeezebox Server issues' topic. People with an answer to your question are more likely to be reading those posts.
Regor

Post by Regor »

by gegs » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:23 am
Hi Regor,

Rather than start a new topic, it might be a good idea to put this under the 'Squeezebox Server issues' topic. People with an answer to your question are more likely to be reading those posts.
Hi gegs
Thank you for your prompt reply. I take on board your comment and I have modified my initial question. It was my intention to make the topic open to include all programs that run on the native Joggler.

Regards
:oops:
gegs

Post by gegs »

If you can't save directly to a USB drive, you can use WinSCP (not sure of any Mac equivalents) to copy the file to your computer hard drive. The following page tells you how to install SCP on the Joggler. You must have SSH installed first but you already have if you've installed P'n'P.

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Scp

Probably not the answer you were looking for but a decent workaround. It's how I copy files to/from my Joggler (on the native O2 software).
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

gegs wrote:If you can't save directly to a USB drive, you can use WinSCP (not sure of any Mac equivalents) to copy the file to your computer hard drive. The following page tells you how to install SCP on the Joggler. You must have SSH installed first but you already have if you've installed P'n'P.

Probably not the answer you were looking for but a decent workaround. It's how I copy files to/from my Joggler (on the native O2 software).
I have adjusted the link in your post. the link you gave to the old wiki is not editable and is run by a squatter to try and make money (its just a set of static pages). Considering the address of the forum, I would have thought the wiki would be quite easy to find ;-)
gegs

Post by gegs »

Sorry about the old link. It was a page I had bookmarked ages ago from a Google search and I just copied the URL from a list without loading the page.

This should definitely be made a sticky item on the board index, in my opinion.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Will do. Cheers
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

mount /mnt -orw,remount
Just before the write seems to work.

I have tried adding this to the rcS file but that doesn't work (no idea why).

Could tango be periodically remounting it read-only?
Regor

Post by Regor »

by gegs » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:13 am
If you can't save directly to a USB drive, you can use WinSCP (not sure of any Mac equivalents) to copy the file to your computer hard drive. The following page tells you how to install SCP on the Joggler. You must have SSH installed first but you already have if you've installed P'n'P.

Hi gegs

Apologies for not replying quicker but when I read your reply I had to do a some research into SCP. Having read what information I could find, it would not appear to provide me with a solution to my situation, but thanks for the suggestion.
Do you know where the usb drive would be mounted? There is no entry in the /etc/fstab directory for sda1 which I have established is the usb drive.
by spoyser » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:44 pm
mount /mnt -orw,remount
Just before the write seems to work.

I have tried adding this to the rcS file but that doesn't work (no idea why).

Could tango be periodically remounting it read-only?
Hi spoyser

I carried out your suggestion just before clicking on the save button. Alas it did not work for me. By the way, do you have a source list for Busybox Linux commands you could direct me to?

Regards All
:?
gegs

Post by gegs »

Regor wrote:Apologies for not replying quicker but when I read your reply I had to do a some research into SCP. Having read what information I could find, it would not appear to provide me with a solution to my situation, but thanks for the suggestion.
Is there nowhere you can safely save the file on the Joggler itself, then use SCP to copy the file to another computer, then delete it from the Joggler? I'm not sure if it would work but it might be worth a try.
Regor

Post by Regor »

Is there nowhere you can safely save the file on the Joggler itself, then use SCP to copy the file to another computer, then delete it from the Joggler? I'm not sure if it would work but it might be worth a try.
Hi gegs
I have decided to give up the quest to save files from the Joggler to an attached usb drive. I think your suggestion will work but I really don't want a complicated save routine for the sanity of other users of the Joggler. I had hoped that it could be simply done via the programs UI.
Regards
;)
carynax

Post by carynax »

How can i play movie with dat file through pen drive to L.G home theater which is not support dat file.? I have copied movie from CD to my PC and then copied to pen drive. Home theater is not reading (usb facilities present) the movie. Then tried to convert in AVI file as wel as JPEG file.Still not reading. Any one can help me how to run any movie through pen drive to home theater's USB.