Joggler's wifi has stopped working

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
lovingboth

Joggler's wifi has stopped working

Post by lovingboth »

I'm not sure exactly when, but in the past couple of months, the wifi has declined to connect or even acknowledge that there are any wifi networks to be seen.

This happens with the firmware and the Android 4 build on a USB stick that it's been running for the past few years.

I've obviously power-cycled it a couple of times, no luck.

Any suggestions?

I know it has an ethernet port, but I'm not running a cable to the kitchen for this and there are no spare mains sockets for mains networking either.
roobarb!

Re: Joggler's wifi has stopped working

Post by roobarb! »

lovingboth wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:10 pmThis happens with the firmware and the Android 4 build on a USB stick that it's been running for the past few years.
If it's happening on two different operating systems that previously worked just fine, that sounds suspiciously like a hardware failure.

Throw Ubuntu Bionic onto a USB stick, configure your wifi settings in the network.yaml file, then boot it and see if that works - when connected it'll show the wireless address on the text login screen something like this:

Code: Select all

Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS openframe tty1 wlan0:192.168.1.50

openframe login: _
If it gets an address, the hardware is working. No address... something's afoot.

If the card is shot it's easy to replace.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
check123

Post by check123 »

A bit old, but I thought I'd chip in that the same thing happened to my O2 Joggler last week.

When I took it apart (I just slid a spudger around the seams to loosen the friction clips) I found to my surprise that WiFi was provided by a dongle inserted into an internal USB receptacle. When I removed and re-seated it, WiFi started working again so it may be that yours has similarly worked its way loose.
pete

Post by pete »

I have seen the USB WLAN stick move after shipping a Joggler. That and typically is is positioned under the Joggler motherboard on the right side of the WLAN stick which can move it a bit from the USB socket.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

check123 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:07 pmI found to my surprise that WiFi was provided by a dongle inserted into an internal USB receptacle.
Yeah, if you're running one of my recent OS releases you can replace it with all sorts... :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
grb

Post by grb »

roobarb! wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:07 am
check123 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:07 pmI found to my surprise that WiFi was provided by a dongle inserted into an internal USB receptacle.
Yeah, if you're running one of my recent OS releases you can replace it with all sorts... :)
I realise this is an old post... but the usb wifi in my joggler has been getting unreliable - it's running squeezeos (14.04) - what usb wifi stick would work ? (the link above is no longer working)

Thanks,

grb.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

grb wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:41 pm I realise this is an old post... but the usb wifi in my joggler has been getting unreliable - it's running squeezeos (14.04) - what usb wifi stick would work ? (the link above is no longer working)
Missed this! You can replace it with pretty much anything with Linux kernel support that will fit. I've not checked in a long time, but a quick search threw up this list on GitHub.

Just because something has in-kernel drivers doesn't mean it'll work straight away - the drivers may not be configured in my kernel config to keep the size down. But I'm more than happy to add in a driver, as in theory the code should be all spangly and working if it's made it into the kernel.

Grab something that looks about the right size without big ears and give it a try. Just get it from somewhere you can return it if things go to pot.