SqueezePlay for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
roobarb!

Re: SqueezePlay for OpenFrame

Post by roobarb! »

jogglerhase wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:54 pm
jogglerhase wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:49 pm Hi roobarb!
... I noticed something odd with LCD brightness:

I have the brightness set pretty low (20%).
When I switch SqueezePlay off (with the Power Button in the upper left corner on the touchscreen) screen goes off. All good.
If I then touch the screen, a digital clock shows for a coupls of seconds (also all good - I like that feature especially).
However, the problem: At the same time, screen brightness goes to max! (And stays on max)
In settings, it still says 20% - only after adjusting to i.e. 30% in settings, it goes down again
A new finding wrt LCD brightness jumping to 100% - might help to pinpoint the root cause:

When I do the same as described above - only substitute:
"When I switch SqueezePlay off (with the Power Button in the upper left corner on the touchscreen)"
With "switching it off via a remote control (i.e. Material Webpage)"
The brightness does NOT subsequently jump to max when I then touch the screen to see the clock!
It stays at the level what it was set to (i.e. 20%)
Thanks, that's useful. It'll all be tied up in how the two kick off the 'display off' function - one I will have tweaked, the other (or multiple others) will be operating by default, I'd have thought. Let me know if this changes in the near future, as some of the system scripts will have background updates pending and I made a tweak recently - which will make a difference to what you're seeing if I'm wrong. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

Hi Roobarb! Thanks for scrutinizing this issue.
How can I see, if a 'background script update' happened?

I think I already noticed a slight change in behavior:
The backlight now actually really gooes off when switching it off! (It does not just dim to lowest brightness.)
However - when its off and I touch the screen - it goes unfortunaltey to max brightness again. (regardless of the % brightness I had set it to)
Also with this new behavior, it does not make a difference whether I do it with the screen button or remotely via material..... Both bring it to max brightness
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

jogglerhase wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:24 am How can I see, if a 'background script update' happened?
Just run

Code: Select all

sudo of-update
and it'll tell you if you're up to date.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
themystical

Post by themystical »

Hi Guys
Being furloughed, I thought I would try and get some use out of the two Jogglers I have lying about so visited the forum to be pleasantly surprised that there is still some activity happening! I assumed Roobarb would have retired by now! :D
Anyway, I am looking for some help. I would like to install a LMS server on this new Ubuntu base. The installation of the player is straightforward as described but how to install the server?
Everybody stay safe.
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

themystical wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:37 am Hi Guys
Being furloughed, I thought I would try and get some use out of the two Jogglers I have lying about so visited the forum to be pleasantly surprised that there is still some activity happening! I assumed Roobarb would have retired by now! :D
Anyway, I am looking for some help. I would like to install a LMS server on this new Ubuntu base. The installation of the player is straightforward as described but how to install the server?
Everybody stay safe.
I did LMS install this way:
- login to the Joggler via SSH
- download the LMS package, eg:
wget http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightl ... 2_i386.deb
- install it:
dpkg -i logitechmediaserver_8.0.0~1580708662_i386.deb

Hope this helps.

It works great (It's idle CPU load seems to be lower than with chills image, which runs jivelite and squeezelite seperately , I think)
Its very stable - I have it running since weeks w/o a hickup.

Only 'bug' is that currently screen goes to max brightness when turning Squeezeplay off and on again via software control.
But I believe (and hope...) roobarb! is still looking into this.

You might argue why you need to turn it off at all.... my reason is that I use different screen savers:
- When Squeezeplay is halted, i.e. not playing, I have a clock and weatherinformation (precipitation radar map) on the screen
- When Squeezeplay is off, i.e. at night, I have the screen completely off
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

jogglerhase wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:19 am But I believe (and hope...) roobarb! is still looking into this.
Yeah, still on the list! I've been taking a few days break from the Joggling trying to do some actual work and get some sleep (yeah, right).

Plus, I've recently got back in to the old BBC Micro, so that's been a thing... :D
themystical wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:37 amI assumed Roobarb would have retired by now! :D
Ha! It's how I get to learn the cool stuff!

Besides, if I can be messing with a system which is very nearly the same age as me, I see no reason to stop tormenting these poor things. Not while there's no reasonable replacement, anyway.

Oh, no. I've just thought of something. I wonder how long it would take to create a replacement logic board that uses a Raspberry Pi compute module, breaking out into an LVDS connection for the display, USB for touch and ribbon connector for the back panel. :lol:
themystical

Post by themystical »

jogglerhase wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:19 am
- install it:

Hope this helps.
Thanks very much. So I have managed to install the server but it doesn't seem to start up automatically when I reboot? Should it start up automatically upon reboot or is there something I need to do through SSH to start it up manually or perhaps some script to make it automatic?
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

themystical wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:53 pm
- install it:

Hope this helps.
Thanks very much. So I have managed to install the server but it doesn't seem to start up automatically when I reboot? Should it start up automatically upon reboot or is there something I need to do through SSH to start it up manually or perhaps some script to make it automatic?
comment out

tmpfs /var/log tmpfs noatime,size=16M 0 0

in

sudo nano /etc/fstab

then reboot

It might take a while to be available, you can try rebooting or Quit, unplug and plug in again.

ronnie

Edit:

Did you run

sudo of-expand
to make room for the LMS ?

Also you might find these useful for some of philippe_44's bridges

sudo apt install libnet-ssleay-perl libio-socket-ssl-perl lame libcrypt-openssl-rsa-perl -y
themystical

Post by themystical »

Man in a van wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:55 pm
themystical wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:53 pm
- install it:

Hope this helps.
comment out

tmpfs /var/log tmpfs noatime,size=16M 0 0

in

sudo nano /etc/fstab

then reboot

It might take a while to be available, you can try rebooting or Quit, unplug and plug in again.

ronnie

Edit:

Did you run

sudo of-expand
to make room for the LMS ?

Also you might find these useful for some of philippe_44's bridges

sudo apt install libnet-ssleay-perl libio-socket-ssl-perl lame libcrypt-openssl-rsa-perl -y
Hi Ronnie, thanks for your help. I take it from your response that the server shout start automatically upon reboot. I had already edited out the line from etc/fstab that you had suggested as well as expanded the usb drive to full capacity. I am not entirely sure what phillippe 44's bridges are but I have installed the suggested perl. Still no joy in the LMS Server starting up despite a number of reboots. I suspect I might have to start again from a fresh USB stick?
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

Just puli the plug and see if it come up tomorrow.
sudo service logitechmediaserver status will tell if it is running
themystical

Post by themystical »

Man in a van wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:46 pm Just puli the plug and see if it come up tomorrow.
sudo service logitechmediaserver status will tell if it is running
it does seem to be running according to the service status although I am not able to connect to its web page? Will try again tomorrow.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

Right, got it working :)

First of all, I suggested the unplug routine because that had work for me previously but it was over a period of days, not hours.

I had done an install of LMS v7.9.3 whilst exchanging posts with you and had experienced the same problem.

I rebooted this morning and ...no luck.

So, whilst preparing my porridge I had a thought...

I removed logitechmediaserver_7.9.3~1591161343_i386.deb from the home directory

sudo rm logitechmediaserver_7.9.3~1591161343_i386.deb
then downloaded it again, installed it over itself, open the web gui and configured it a little, used the Joggler to start playing BBC Radio2.

I shutdown from the Joggler screen, making sure to wait until the screen went blank.

Replugged, Squeezeplay came back up, selected Radio 2 again (waited for the bufferering to stop).......and music

ronnie, ...who is going back to his porridge
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

I made a fresh install today (porridge gives one get and go :) ).

Installed Squeezeplay, commented out the line in /etc/fstab

Then rebooted.

Used squeezeplay for a short while then installed LMS v7.9.2 (this is an install for someone else).

Opened the LMS web gui and installed a few plugins and then used Squeezeplay to play BBC Radio2 from the, now local, LMS.

After a while I rebooted via the Joggler screen gui and when Squeezeplay came back up, the local LMS was available for playback.

So it's likely that the sequence of operation is quite important

ronnie
themystical

Post by themystical »

Man in a van wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:21 pm I made a fresh install today (porridge gives one get and go :) ).

Installed Squeezeplay, commented out the line in /etc/fstab

Then rebooted.

Used squeezeplay for a short while then installed LMS v7.9.2 (this is an install for someone else).

Opened the LMS web gui and installed a few plugins and then used Squeezeplay to play BBC Radio2 from the, now local, LMS.

After a while I rebooted via the Joggler screen gui and when Squeezeplay came back up, the local LMS was available for playback.

So it's likely that the sequence of operation is quite important

ronnie
Hi Ronnie, yes removal and then re-installation of the server works and it persists through reboots so that's great!! Must be to do with the sequence of installation as you say. Now on to the next hurdle which is mounting the NAS. I have installed cifs and autofs as per the first page of this thread but struggling to get the NAS to mount. I will try and mount it manually first to see if I can make it work. I will try and search out the commands to do this.
themystical

Post by themystical »

Further progress -I can manually mount the share using:
sudo mount -t cfs //192.168.0.13/share /mnt/music
p/w "guest"
but I cannot find any format that will work in /etc/fstab
I am running with the temporary manual mount for the time being but any suggestions for a format for /etc/fstab appreciated.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

I found these old notes I made
//192.168.1.107/Squeezebox /mnt/Music cifs username=********,password=******,vers=1.0,rw,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm 0 0

A few changes appears to have happened over time:
You need to add "vers=1.0" statement (it currently defaults to a later version 3.0, which appears to be causing problems)
_netdev does nothing on CFIS file system, only works on NFS file system, so it does not create the required delay for thenetwork to activate
"user=" and "pass=" should now be "username=" and "password=" respectively (Updates to kernel)
Lastly, there is now a "Wait for network" box that that can be ticked in the Raspberry Pi Configuration Utility, that solved my mount at boot problem.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

I have an old Qnap NAS TS121

I found this

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1050460 ... untu-18-04

which referenced

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently

I had success with

//192.168.1.**/Squeezebox /mnt/Music cifs username=admin,password=*******,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8 0 0
After reboot I had to restart LMS, then do a rescan, I think the USB stick I am using is a bit flakey as everything is a bit slow.

ronnie
themystical

Post by themystical »

Man in a van wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:58 pm I have an old Qnap NAS TS121

I found this

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1050460 ... untu-18-04

which referenced

I had success with

//192.168.1.**/Squeezebox /mnt/Music cifs username=admin,password=*******,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8 0 0
After reboot I had to restart LMS, then do a rescan, I think the USB stick I am using is a bit flakey as everything is a bit slow.

ronnie
Brilliant! This is what worked for me as my share is unprotected
//servername/sharename /media/windowsshare cifs guest,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8 0 0
server name= ip address, sharename is the folder on your NAS, media/windowshare= path for mounted share on LMS
all as explained in the link you gave.
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

roobarb! wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:38 pm
jogglerhase wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:19 am But I believe (and hope...) roobarb! is still looking into this.
Yeah, still on the list! I've been taking a few days break from the Joggling trying to do some actual work and get some sleep (yeah, right).
Hi roobarb!
This screen thing is still bugging me (and - more importantly: my wife...) -> screen going to max brighness when switching SqueezePlay on
For us, it would be totally ok if the screen does not switch completely off, but just goes dark when switching SP off

If it is a bigger thing to really fix it or you don't have the time currently:
Could you give me a hint on how I could bandaid my system so it does just the above (when switching SP off: screen just goes dark, not switching it completely off)?
I would hope that it then would not got to max brightness when switching it on again....