Reflash fail internal mmc

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
roger l

Reflash fail internal mmc

Post by roger l »

Not sure if i have lost all my basic linux commands??
I tried reflashing an old O2 joggler that had previously run SpOS. It came to a quick end with a message stating "error writing */dev/mmcblk0*: no space left on device"
I booted an ubuntu stick and tried mounting the internal partition and failed using fdisk. Tried mount with the detailed name. I tried using gparted to list the partitions and could only see the usb files.
I have looked on the forum for any specific help on mounting the internal partitions and using gparted to clear the space carefully. Please excuse me if this has already been answered. I could not find the guidance.
Many reflash attempts and the same result. I have a previously stored a back up of all of the mmcblk0 partitions in case I need to write them back. (if I can manage it)
Any help would be appreciated.
roobarb!

Re: Reflash fail internal mmc

Post by roobarb! »

That "no space left on device" message is odd. That would only happen if the image you're trying to write is oversized, in which case it definitely won't work, or if there's something gone awry with the internal flash memory, which does happen.

You say you've managed to boot an external USB stick into Ubuntu? Could you post the output of:

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l
Which will show the details of whichever drives you have attached?
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roger l

Post by roger l »

Thanks.
This is the output from Xubuntu terminal:
It seems to only see the partitions on the stick!!
The stick has been used for many reflashes using your software and it was restored to full size using diskpart.

Disk /dev uba: 15.7 GB, 15724707840 bytes
4 heads, 32 sectors/track, 239940 cylinders
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00093f9d

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/uba1 * 2048 126975 62464 e w95 FAT16 (LBA)
/dev/uba2 126976 626687 249856 82 Linux swap
/dev/uba3 626688 7800831 3587072 83 Linux
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Hmm. Okay, it could be that the MMC driver is missing from the kernel on that image. Would you mind putting my command line Ubuntu on a stick and trying the same command from that instead?

Default login on that at the moment is just with the root user 'root' and the password 'joggler'.

That will at least show whether your internal MMC is still being recognised at all. If you need to, run the command:

of-expand
Once you're booted and it'll expand to the full size of the device.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roger l

Post by roger l »

I tried the stick loaded with Ubuntu Command Line and the output looks the same.
I then entered the command to expand the partitions and got a yes/no dialogue.
Tried three times to catch the dialogue to enter "y" but could not enter it in the timeout.
Hit it immediately after the enter was pressed for the command. (after the warning)
This could mean that the internal partitions are now invisible to a distro??

Disk /dev/sda: 7.2 GiB, 7747397632 bytes, 15131636 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 =512 bytes
sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0xf0b505b6

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/sda1 * 1 62500 62500 30.5M e W95 Fat16
/dev/sda2 62501 2006111 1943611 949M 83 Linux
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

roger l wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:06 pm I tried the stick loaded with Ubuntu Command Line and the output looks the same.
I then entered the command to expand the partitions and got a yes/no dialogue.
Tried three times to catch the dialogue to enter "y" but could not enter it in the timeout.
Hit it immediately after the enter was pressed for the command. (after the warning)
This could mean that the internal partitions are now invisible to a distro??
I'll take a look at the of-expand issue, not seen that timeout issue before. But that wouldn't be the cause of any troubles, I only mentioned it for interests' sake, it wouldn't affect the appearance or not of the internal storage.

Unfortunately that sounds very much like the internal MMC has failed. If you were able to boot the command line image but it didn't show in fdisk -l the only remaining thing is just to take a look at the output of:

ls -l /dev
You should see 'mmcblk0' listed there, perhaps with some partitions listed as 'mmcblk0p1' and the like. If it's not, my guess would be that the chip has failed.
roger l

Post by roger l »

Thanks again. I think the timeout was really that the action failed. I have a read out pictured but it does not look like the identifiers of any physical drive space:
If the chip has failed I suppose single purpose spOS stick machine may be the best retirement for it. It has given very good service.
Thanks for your help.
roger l

Post by roger l »

roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Could you attach the image again? It's not worked here and it would be handy to see.

Once the internal memory goes running it from a USB stick is still a great - in many respects better - way to go. External USB memory is much faster and more capacious than the internal stuff anyway. If you're not using wifi you can also install the memory stick internally on the standard USB socket inside there.

I even managed to get one of my units booting from a combo storage-and-SIM USB stick a while ago! It fitted inside the case and connected the Joggler up to the cellular network. For a giggle I powered it from a battery pack that had a barrel-jack 5V output and was able to remotely log in to the unit completely wirelessly from my laptop. :lol:
roger l

Post by roger l »

Hopefully that image should reproduce from onedrive.
Yes I will definitely be using that Joggler again very soon with a xubuntu/spOS on a Cruzer 16gb stick. I will try the internal slot when ethernet connected too, good idea.
I just bought a logitech squeezebox duet and the controller and it is taking much more configuration than the perfect Squeeze control app multi joggler AV receiver system I have. I just thought I would upgrade to 24 bit sound from the tiny 16 bit DACs attached to the jogglers. A long way to go.
That system you set up sounds excellent. What combo storage was it booting from?I have aways looked for a thin or headless server for my WD My Book. Looks like a Pi solution!!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

roger l wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:43 pm Image

Hopefully that image should reproduce from onedrive.
Yes, I see it, though I didn't realise you had this on the device screen and it's chopped off the useful stuff! Could you run:

ls -la /dev | grep mmc
That'll show something (hopefully) or nothing if the internal memory is just not around.
roger l wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:43 pm Yes I will definitely be using that Joggler again very soon with a xubuntu/spOS on a Cruzer 16gb stick. I will try the internal slot when ethernet connected too, good idea.
That system you set up sounds excellent. What combo storage was it booting from?I have aways looked for a thin or headless server for my WD My Book. Looks like a Pi solution!!
I can't remember the brand - probably Huawei, but it was rebranded as another O2 product funnily enough. It had a SIM slot tray next to the USB plug and a micro SD card slot on the side and I think a few providers made something similar. There was a trick to getting that storage to show up in the right way, though, which I have also forgotten! :roll:
roger l wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:43 pm I just bought a logitech squeezebox duet and the controller and it is taking much more configuration than the perfect Squeeze control app multi joggler AV receiver system I have. I just thought I would upgrade to 24 bit sound from the tiny 16 bit DACs attached to the jogglers. A long way to go.
I've never actually used a real Squeezebox, though I have one behind me in the "when I get time" pile. Build quality feels some way off the Joggler, but it'll be an interesting one to play with.
roger l

Post by roger l »

Typed in the script and it returned nothing at all. Checked my accuracy copying. (It is a new keyboard so Pipe was Alt Numlock and 124)
Tried this four times with the same result.
I think it is retired!! It is on to an Xubuntu/spOS stick internally then.
Thanks for your help with this attempt.
I learned a bit more.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Sounds like that internal memory has indeed given up. Ah, well - onwards and upwards! :)