Ubuntu Bionic for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
hawsey

Re: Ubuntu Bionic for OpenFrame

Post by hawsey »

Nice touch , I like that option .

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

-=xXx=- wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:56 pm Maybe someone will be interested Joggler can be used as 3rd screen for your PC in windows I added manually 3rd screen as mobile with resolution 848x480 and VNC from Joggler to it I use it to output some stats really comfortable and when I lock the pc vnc session is droped and joggler goes back to kodi screensaver.
That's really cool, I like that. :)

The build system is currently chewing on kernel 5.3 now that 5.2 has been binned. Hopefully it'll complete with minimal effort!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

roobarb! wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:54 pmHopefully it'll complete with minimal effort!
Jinxed it. It's doing the 'wrong architecture' problem like the last kernel did because I'm building 32-bit in a chroot on a 64-bit system and it's misidentifying it. Nearly lunchtime, I'll see if I can fix it.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
pete

Post by pete »

Dunno why but the build wouldn't stand up to reboots for me scrambling the internal 1Gb or 2Gb eMMC. Thought it was a bad eMMC then updated it with old build and its been fine with constant testing reboots 1-14 days after installation.

Am going to try a build and not touch it keeping it at a command line prompt to see what happens on two more O2 Jogglers that I have around here.

Just checked on 2 Openpeak1 and 1 Openpeak 2 which I installed old Squeezeplayer OS on way over a month ago and these are up and running fine and connected here to my Home Assistant box and LMS running on Ubuntu server. I have rebooted these a few times and they always boot and the eMMC never gets scrambled.

Note that I also have 2 more Squeezeplayers on line; both wirelessly connected with no issues. IE: that is 5 of these plus 15 running seabios and embedded XP though this is running on a 16Gb SSD.

Just purchased a Cisco Cius which is an Openpeak tablet with similar specifications to the Joggler except that it has 1Gb of RAM and has a 32Gb OS.

I want to run Ubuntu touch on it and it hopefully will do the basics.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

pete wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:43 pm Dunno why but the build wouldn't stand up to reboots for me scrambling the internal 1Gb or 2Gb eMMC. Thought it was a bad eMMC then updated it with old build and its been fine with constant testing reboots 1-14 days after installation.

Am going to try a build and not touch it keeping it at a command line prompt to see what happens on two more O2 Jogglers that I have around here.

Just checked on 2 Openpeak1 and 1 Openpeak 2 which I installed old Squeezeplayer OS on way over a month ago and these are up and running fine and connected here to my Home Assistant box and LMS running on Ubuntu server. I have rebooted these a few times and they always boot and the eMMC never gets scrambled.
That is weird. Not seen that here, but there've been no changes to the way the filesystem is laid out. There were big changes to how the root volume was identified after first boot (by UUID and not by name) but that would prevent the thing from booting at all, not go scrambly. If you're just putting it on internal memory and not running the root extension script then it's identical to all previous versions...
pete wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:43 pm Just purchased a Cisco Cius which is an Openpeak tablet with similar specifications to the Joggler except that it has 1Gb of RAM and has a 32Gb OS.

I want to run Ubuntu touch on it and it hopefully will do the basics.
Yeah, they look very cool! I'll keep an eye on how you get on with them. :)
pete

Post by pete »

Gonna try booting in to a old windows EFI boot USB stick and attempt to doing a low level Emmc format of the O2 Jogglers. Application works fine in XP.

Testing it first on my Seabios booting XPe computer.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
sanjap

Post by sanjap »

Given this is command line only. How do i get the wireless to work?
sanjap

Post by sanjap »

-=xXx=- wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:56 pm Hi,
if someone needs Joggler bionic with kernel 4.4.121 end EMGD driver, kodi 17.6 from oficial repository can be installed (apt install kodi)
Say thanks to roobarb! for his debootstrap script and thopiekar vs trs79 for EMGD drivers.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ei2cfg7x ... mg.gz/file

the image is from Joggler internal flash (only 488Mb occupied) if you want to write it to usb change grub (didn't try but it should work.)
How do i write this to my openframe?
pete

Post by pete »

Wireless works with the simple desktop. That said give this a try for command line wireless.

1 - sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
2 - add this:
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid {ssid}
wpa-psk {password}
3 - save and close nano
4 - sudo dhclient wlan0

If the above doesn't work there are more ways to do this via command line.
- Pete

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Woop woop!

Kernel 5.3 has compiled successfully, so all 'development' builds are now working on that version. If anyone needs anything special adding (or removing) from the kernel, just let me know. See first post for downloads.

All broken 5.3 builds have been thrown into the bin.
sanjap

Post by sanjap »

Has anybody been successful in install this Ubuntu Bionic with Kodi? I have an Of2 and after installing xorg, am out of space. Any tips would be very appreciated. I only want kodi installed.
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

@roobarb!
Thank you for all your effort's for the trusty old joggler's.
Good till 2023 apparently. Got to find time to play with now.
Many Thank's
Andrew
pete

Post by pete »

Has anybody been successful in install this Ubuntu Bionic with Kodi? I have an Of2 and after installing xorg, am out of space. Any tips would be very appreciated. I only want kodi installed.

Thinking that xXx did a Bionic Build with Kodi.

Here tried to do an eMMC low level format under windows. It looks to have worked.

Have not yet done a new base install on the O2 Jogglers. Went off on a bender on the OpenPeak Cisco tablet.

Picked a random O2 Joggler to test new image. Installed OK, reboot saw all sorts of errors and quit booting IE: bad eMMC.

So we have a bad eMMC or going eMMC on the randomly pickd "test" O2 Joggler.

Made up a Mevi XP USB boot stick and copied over the low level formater to the USB stick.

Booted with Mevi EFI XP boot stick and using touch running the Low Level format tool. Looks to be working.

After the above rebooting with new Bionic USB stick to see what happens to eMMC. Not even sure that this will work. Just giving it a try.
O2-1.jpg
Also noticed that this O2 doesn't have a mac address. Never tried to update the MAC ROM via the Mevi's XP USB boot stick...giving it a try...
That did not work in a dos command line prompt. Only other way is to write the seabios rom first then boot with a dos USB stick.

OK looks like it may have fixed the Joggler O2 eMMC as the new write of the internal OS went really fast. (check disk part).

Well it looks like using the Realtek rom write in XP dos wrote over the EFI boot rom. Doesn't boot anything (internal or USB). So I bricked it. Before doing a flash chip swap will try the blind typing thing.
- Pete

Auto mater
skip

Post by skip »

I have pulled my joggler out of storage to have a play, and look what I found. Updated ubuntu.

Being a linux newbie I have got the joggler running (using putty) as a headless Plex server using this ubuntu (kernel 3 version) on a usb stick. That's all I think I will be using it for. Will be accessing Plex via web off other devices. The Joggler will sit quietly (wired) in a cupboard somewhere serving away.

Question
What can I /should I do/delete to get this to run a bit faster. Indexing seems to be endless.

Thanks for your continued work! Nice to come back a few years later and see it's still active.
-Katherine
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Andrew1971 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:31 pm Thank you for all your effort's for the trusty old joggler's.
Good till 2023 apparently. Got to find time to play with now.
No problem - I like hearing it's useful to people!

Yeah, official end of 32-bit support is 2023, but Ubuntu also has an extended programme of support. Though it's a paid-for thing (and damn expensive) it at least means development will continue with 32-bit in mind and will contribute to the code base.
skip wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:45 pm I have pulled my joggler out of storage to have a play, and look what I found. Updated ubuntu.
Hooray!
skip wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:45 pm Being a linux newbie I have got the joggler running (using putty) as a headless Plex server using this ubuntu (kernel 3 version) on a usb stick. That's all I think I will be using it for. Will be accessing Plex via web off other devices. The Joggler will sit quietly (wired) in a cupboard somewhere serving away.

Question
What can I /should I do/delete to get this to run a bit faster. Indexing seems to be endless.
Yes... well the Joggler is not a speed demon, especially these days. It'll be evaluating every file one at a time, as it's single-core, single-threaded. Where do you hold your media, locally connected to the Joggler or on the network?
skip wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:45 pm
Thanks for your continued work! Nice to come back a few years later and see it's still active.
No problem, even to this day they're still awesome to use - touch screen interfaces at the drop of a hat!

I'm thinking of making a 'recipes' repo on GitHub with some tested scripts for various uses. Just need to, y'know, find time... :)
skip

Post by skip »

I'll be patient then ;)
Looking for media on a WD NAS on the local network.

Is there a way to show a clock face screensaver on the joggler with this ubuntu without adding a desktop? Something I can set to run via putty?
Thanks again.
pete

Post by pete »

Found a mothballed O2 Joggler here with the label still on guessing that I have never taken it apart.

Ran the upgrade USB boot stick. I saw it running FSCK on first boot. I booted it again and it did not run FSCK.

Previously tested O2 Joggler has been labeled to replace boot EFI ROM chip. Can't find any of my spares at this time so will need to do a hot swap rom update on that one.

Not seeing this issue with the Openpeak devices (ones that look like the O2 but are labeled Openpeak). These are totally different than the O2 Jogglers with a massive heat sink across the motherboard, DECT and Zigbee and the ZIF clip.
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

skip wrote:I'll be patient then ;)
Looking for media on a WD NAS on the local network.

Is there a way to show a clock face screensaver on the joggler with this ubuntu without adding a desktop? Something I can set to run via putty?
Thanks again.
Adding a fan and heatsink will reap rewards as the Joggler tends to reach the top temperature quickly and then slow down .
Or change the thermal.psv file . I'm not sure what it's set up on this build .

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Wrote the new OS on the O2 Joggler. Updated it and rebooted it a couple of times.

root@openframe:~# uname -a
Linux openframe 5.3.12op #1 Thu Nov 21 04:51:07 GMT 2019 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

Then went to check the first EFI boot partition and see this:

root@openframe:~# sudo tune2fs -c 1 /dev/mmcblk2p1
tune2fs 1.44.1 (24-Mar-2018)
tune2fs: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/mmcblk2p1
/dev/mmcblk2p1 contains a vfat file system labelled 'BOOTE5CB'

Wondering if I should rewrite the partition using fat32?

Well just found tune2fs is meant for ext2/3/4 file systems and not for a fat16 file system.

Googling found that there is no way to check a fat16 EFI boot partition on boot.

So will leave it checking only the second eMMC partition.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

So here moved the o2 Joggler by a switch and checked temps after booting and a couple of hours later...no changes...

right after boot

root@openframe:~# sensors
jc42-i2c-0-18
Adapter: SMBus SCH adapter at 0400
temp1: +48.5°C (low = +0.0°C) ALARM (HIGH, CRIT)
(high = +0.0°C, hyst = +0.0°C)
(crit = +0.0°C, hyst = +0.0°C)

tmp421-i2c-0-4c
temp1: +56.4°C
temp2: +67.4°C

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0: +54.0°C (crit = +90.0°C)

After 2 hours:

root@openframe:~# sensors
jc42-i2c-0-18
temp1: +47.5°C (low = +0.0°C) ALARM (HIGH, CRIT)
(high = +0.0°C, hyst = +0.0°C)
(crit = +0.0°C, hyst = +0.0°C)

tmp421-i2c-0-4c
temp1: +55.2°C
temp2: +66.4°C

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0: +52.0°C (crit = +90.0°C)

I have opened the case and left it open for a couple of hours while tinkering with it and never noticed the O2 joggler CPU getting too warm.
- Pete

Auto mater