Joggler Screen Saver

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
pete

Joggler Screen Saver

Post by pete »

Looking for an easy way to turn a Joggler (unmodified) in to a screen saver. All I want is SSH to be able to copy pictures to it.

IE: such that when it boots up it goes directly to a screen saver...no menu nothing else...

This is a little project for gifting Jogglers.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Re: Joggler Screen Saver

Post by hawsey »

Sounds like a great project Pete , is this any good , especially last part about DSL

https://www.instructables.com/id/Still- ... ame-Linux/

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Thank you Gary.

Yes looking to utilize the Joggler only for this endeavor. 1Gb eMMC for the OS with a minimal or no Linux GUI and the Joggler tabletop will access a share on a Windows 10 desktop which is on all of the time (resting though).

Might start with Buzz's minimum server build and go from there...
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Sounds like a plan , keep us updated :-) you could share it when done , it would be useful for lots of folk I'm sure

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

I did this for a video demo at OggCamp last year... I might still have the image around somewhere, though it may only have been set up for MP4s.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
pete

Post by pete »

Thank you Andy.

Yes; just want to have a 24/7 screen saver on the Joggler and do a cron job to shut off the screen after hours for mom (~90) here.

Pictures will be either a share or usb stick and access to update will be remote SSH.
- Pete

Auto mater
Smiley1244

Post by Smiley1244 »

Hi Pete,
Just pulled my old Joggler out of the garage to do exactly this. Just wanted to put it on my desk at work cycling family photos. I was going to put up with the sunset OS which can have the start time to 15 secs so comes on near instantly on boot but I can't find a way to slow the transition of the slides down.

I found this 'http://karuppuswamy.com/wordpress/2010/ ... -on-linux/' but I'm not great with Linux and haven't found a slim build yet for the Joggler.

Please post anything you find that works as I'd be interested in trying.
pete

Post by pete »

Thank you Smiley.

Yes will give this one a try to see if it works on the embedded 1Gb eMMC version of Linux. Might be able to install the lite server and add just what I need for this.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Well trying your way Smiley with a tweak.

Found an old Joggler which was apart and sort of modded with an extra USB port and trashed traces for a ZIF connector. Reinstalled the wireless stick and reglued two wires for wireless stuff.

Steps:
1 - writing a MAC address first redoing boot bios to Seabios, boot with dos stick and writing MAC address
2 - rewriting the O2 EFI bios on it
3 - starting maybe with Squeezeplayer OS first. Then removing start up of Squeezeplayer OS

...to be continued.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

This one has one of those screens that is almost white on first boot.

1 - wrote the Squeezeplayer OS to the eMMC
2 - booted up with Buzz's first Ubuntu build from a few years back
3 - updated and installed ssh server
4 - writing seabios to rom....
a - ssh'd to Joggler
b - plugged in dos boot stick
c - mapped usb stick
mount -t vfat -o rw,users /dev/ubb1 /mnt/myusb
d - wrote seabios rom to efi rom
root@joggler:/mnt/myusb# dd if=coreboot.rom of=/dev/fh count=1 bs=1024k
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
1048576 bytes (1.0 MB) copied, 8.18463 s, 128 kB/s
e - reboot
f - wrote mac address
pg8168 /nodeid 000001000002
g - reboot and hit f7 to write O2 rom back
h - upgrade back to O2 rom is using default name of upgrade.rom
i - back to efi bios
5 - default boot should not be at Squeezeplayer OS which it is.

Tried to create a small xwindows image to fit on Gb emmc. None was small enought.

Installed Squeezeplayer and image screensaver. Well then installed Squeezeserver on main computer in house. Works great this way.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Smallest here before desktop is 965Mb on a 1Gb eMMC.

Thinking you can get by installing Squeezeplayer on the 2 Gb emmc (old OS though) and then add a small desktop to it.

That said had my squeezeplayer / screen saver / O2 Joggler / 1Gb emmc working well for two days and then no boot.

Gonna try a low level format and repair of the emmc using an old DOS program called hddguru. I have used this program to fix USB and SD cards but never have tried it on an eMMC. That said will install it on my USB DOS boot stick that I use to upgrade / modify ROM. See what happens today.

Well just noticed that the HDDGURU program only runs in windows. Looking for an older one that runs in dos. I have one here someplace...

To do this will need to write the seabios boot to it again which I can do easy enough; then boot with USB DOS stick.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

So as I was having problems with the Joggler being used as a screen saver redid the eMMC. It seems to boot faster and it cold boots to Squeezeplayer every time.

I resized the second partition making it smaller by some 30Mb and deleted the Fat16 partition and wrote it as a Fat32 partition giving it the boot and lba stuff.

Copied all of the contents back to it and it seems to be doing well.
- Pete

Auto mater