How to build a Linux image for the Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Juggler

How to build a Linux image for the Joggler

Post by Juggler »

Thanks to the people who have put time and effort into producing the Linux images for the joggler - I dont know what's involved in doing that, but I certainly do appreciate the end result !

I like the Tiny Core Linux approach, which is a small, fast, minimalist distro that can be extended as required.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/

What I'd really like to do, is to understand how to get Tiny Core Linux to work on a joggler. Maybe some one has already done this or the instructions on how to do this are published. If you could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate that.

If anyone has any advice on undertaking such a project, I would be interested to hear from you.

If I produce anything usable, I would be happy to share that with the community.
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: How to build a Linux image for the Joggler

Post by BuZz »

There is a bunch of stuff on the wiki regarding getting distributions working. You can also check out kernel patches and config stuff I use at http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/source/ (I need to update it with the latest stuff mind).
alcoheca

Post by alcoheca »

@juggler - 7 and half years later but did you get anywhere with this?

I have experience with tinycore linux but struggled with the kernel compilation / booting on the joggler
pete

Post by pete »

A while back using Seabios I was able build some version of Linux. Thinking Mickchip tried this first.

Last year one forum user built an O2 Joggler KODI build from scratch (?) that fit fine on 1Gb of eMMC.

Only concern then was the video drivers.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Sound is the one I'm struggling with again right now. Things have changed in ALSA in the latest kernel configurations and I can't get the auto-mute when you connect headphones / line output working correctly. The signal to the internal speakers is muted, but the R channel plays amplified circuit noise.

This is what's holding up my release of Ubuntu Bionic - everything else is working a treat.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
alcoheca

Post by alcoheca »

@roobarb are your modifications/kernel configuration available in a VCS? Git or similar?

It would help me to see what changes are needed.from.the default bionic configuration that I could reapply to the tinycore kernel, as presumably the versions are different.

I've done a little bit of kernel hacking before, fixing old DVB drivers to run on a modern kernel, so could perhaps help your audio issue. Also worth hitting up the ALSA mailing lists?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Certainly are, check out ‘andydvsn’ on GitHub, I’ll post the latest versions tonight if I get chance. Repo is OpenFrame-Kernel. I’ll post a description of the ALSA issues too, I’m stuck right now and I’ve not had a lot back from the ALSA mailing list. Basically, the right channel of the internal speakers crackles with circuit noise when headphones / line out is plugged in. At least the muting works, I suppose. 😂
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
alcoheca

Post by alcoheca »

That's great - really appreciate that.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Sorry for the delay replying, probably easiest to take a look at the thread on the ALSA mailing list for where I'm up to with the audio bug.

http://mailman.alsa-project.org/piperma ... 40065.html

This is the latest patch, but nothing I've tried so far fixes the audio issue - this basically just labels things and marks some pins as unconnected:

https://gist.github.com/andydvsn/16bf77 ... b0378643c3

I can swap the problem around, making the crackle move to the headphones and cause the HP/LO to mute when connecting (which is obviously pointless!) but the crackle continues. From the previous patch I believe pin 0x07 is responsible for the muting, but I can't figure out how to make it work.

There are some board pics and the pinout for the STAC9202 in that thread too.