Reflash System for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
roobarb!

Reflash System for OpenFrame

Post by roobarb! »

--------------------------------------------
Reflash System v1.11
Latest Release: 21st August 2014
http://birdslikewires.co.uk/articles/openframe-flash
--------------------------------------------

The Reflash System is designed to be a reliable method of reflashing an OpenFrame device, even in the event that the internal flash memory has had it’s partitions destroyed. This latest version has improved on-screen instructions and the ability to flash your EFI boot chip, should you wish to live on the wild side.

You can flash you OpenFrame / Joggler with the original O2 or OpenPeak operating system, or with an alternative operating system such as SqueezePlay OS. You must ensure the version you are flashing is designed to work from internal memory, or it may not boot!

Full instructions are on the site, but briefly:

1. Download the Reflash System from the link above and write it to a USB device of at least 1GB capacity.

2. Acquire the operating system image file of your choice and it's MD5 checksum file:

Original O2 Operating System - MD5

OpenPeak v30291 - MD5

OpenPeak v30300 - MD5 <-- recommended

These are the original OS versions, while v30300 is a modified version of the v30291 'sunset' release which includes SSH by default.

3. Copy both the .img.gz and .img.gz.md5 files to the reflash directory on the rfl-boot volume.

Ensure that the image file has not been automatically decompressed by your browser. You'll know if it has; it won't fit on the stick.

4. Power off your Joggler and insert the USB stick into the side socket.

5. Power on your Joggler and watch.

The system talks you through what's happening on screen, so even if something goes wrong you should be able to post the output here and we can help you out.

The Reflashing Tool has now been extensively tested on many Jogglers, with a high degree of success. However, this software is used entirely at your own risk and will not repair a Joggler where the internal flash memory has become worn or damaged. If the internal memory has failed, you will no longer be able to run the default operating system, but there are many alternatives available that work extremely well from a USB storage device.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
BraveDave

Re: Reflash System for OpenFrame

Post by BraveDave »

Hi, just tried to reflash my joggler with squeezeplay os. I think it started fine, the boot screen came up then it started talking through what it was doing, (screen says 'Starting' this that and the other [OK]) then it has just stopped and has not changed for over half an hour.
The last section is a big paragraph of text/code starting:
'Modules linked in: snd_hda_codec.......'
And the text ends with:
'...........mii agpgart video [last unloaded: snd_mixer_oss]'

What should I do?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Reboot and try again. Unless it's telling you it's reflashing, it's not doing anything potentially harmful. If it's jammed on first boot, it could be your USB stick.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
sanjap

Post by sanjap »

Hi,
Where can i have the original openframe 2.0 software version? Not the O2 flavour?

Thanks
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

sanjap wrote:Where can i have the original openframe 2.0 software version? Not the O2 flavour?
All of the OpenPeak firmware we know about is here. Download the image you want and its .md5 file and use the Reflash tool linked in my signature. Plenty of documentation on that page about it too.
sanjap

Post by sanjap »

Thanks a million. But the Telio image is so big. Won't fit on usb stick. How did you install that one?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

sanjap wrote:Thanks a million. But the Telio image is so big. Won't fit on usb stick. How did you install that one?
You're right, it's massive... I have no idea why. Not got the gear here to investigate, let me get back to you on that!

EDIT: Actually, it must just be example media files on there somewhere - the of1_30291 or (preferably) of1_30300 should both work fine, I think.
sanjap

Post by sanjap »

thanks roobarb. But those other firmware have no sound. Curious to test the Telio image. Can't we just create a reflash drive that is bigger?
simonmcnair

Post by simonmcnair »

Hi,
I'm trying to flash the Openframe 'of1_30300_openpeak.img.gz'

but on 2 different usb keys I get to [Initrd,addr=0x1795c000, size=0x434a3e] and nothing happens. I've checked that the md5's all align so I can't think a corrupt file is the issue.

Don't suppose you have any ideas please ?
shadow1901

Post by shadow1901 »

Hi simonmcnair

I've installed this image last week and I had no problems.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

simonmcnair wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:28 pm Hi,
I'm trying to flash the Openframe 'of1_30300_openpeak.img.gz'

but on 2 different usb keys I get to [Initrd,addr=0x1795c000, size=0x434a3e] and nothing happens. I've checked that the md5's all align so I can't think a corrupt file is the issue.

Don't suppose you have any ideas please ?

I have often found that usb2 sticks perform better than usb3 ones, it is still a bit of a lottery though :roll:

ronnie
pete

Post by pete »

If using Windows you can format it with an old HP USB stick formatter called HP Drivekey (2009) before writing the image to the USB stick.

I compressed and zipped it. Link to download it is here ==>

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Akj-Oin7_x0rjT2Jc4SV5bTh0AQ1

Favorite Windows USB writer is Win32 Disk Imager which you can download here ==>

https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32d ... t/download
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
bencat

Post by bencat »

Hi I just got a couple of very good condition Jogglers and for the first time have had a major problem with getting the USB stick to work. Sadly my original usb stick has gone missing no doubt borrowed for some viatal task in the house despite having a red tape wraparound saying do not use.

None of the new USB sticks I tried worked most likely because they are USB 3.0 now and despite the Reflash page opening it just will not load.

Out of desperation I have used an SD card flashed with the tool and a card reader which due to it being possibly plugged in to any type of old equipment has full USB 1.0 to 3.0 compatibility and glad to say worked first time .

Hopw this might help anyone else who might need to do a reflash .
pete

Post by pete »

Good news bencat!!!

Here have had a few issues with slow new 3.0 USB sticks on USB 2.0 relating to RW speeds.

I have utilized a USB stick rejunvenator program. It is really slow and works better for me that doing a DD of all zeros on a USB stick.

HDD Low Level format tool version 4.40. is the USB stick rejunvator. It was originally written for doing a low level format of a hard drive and works well with USB sticks.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

From every cloud :(
None of the new USB sticks I tried worked
I know exactly how you feel Andrew :roll:

Comes a silver lining
HDD Low Level format tool version 4.40
Thanks for the tip Pete ;)

Ronnie
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I've not heard of that tool , will try it out .

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

The tool is very old and originally was used to repair IDE disk drives - doing a low level format.

Get it for the source here ==> http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-Low ... rmat-Tool/

Mostly other sources are infected with ad ware so stay away from those sources.

NOTE: it is really slow in free mode but works really well and has fixed a few of my USB sticks.

I have also used this tool to repair the ZIF SSD IDE SSD drives that I utilize with my Jogglers. They are holding up well though.
- Pete

Auto mater
pepilo

Post by pepilo »

Hello,
as a newbee in this forum I need your help.
After I write the reflash image on an 1 GB usb stick the rfl-boot volume has only 466 MB free space. I don't understand what is going wrong.
All with windows 10 and win32diskImager.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

pepilo wrote:Hello,
as a newbee in this forum I need your help.
After I write the reflash image on an 1 GB usb stick the rfl-boot volume has only 466 MB free space. I don't understand what is going wrong.
All with windows 10 and win32diskImager.
Hi @Pepilo and welcome to the forum :-) are you attempting to re write the internal os from a usb stick ?
What is your issue exactly .

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
pepilo

Post by pepilo »

Hi hawsey,
yes I like to write the internal os from a usb stick.
With win32diskimager I write the reflash image on a 1 GB fat formatted usb stick.
I unmount and mount the usb stick to my pc and then I copy the operating system image file and it's MD5 checksum file to the reflash directory on the usb stick.
But there is only 466 mb free space in the rfl-boot volume on the usb stick.