New Software Installation for Clock

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
KMc

New Software Installation for Clock

Post by KMc »

The joggler I have was bought new, around 8 years ago. At the time used as a multipurpose 'tablet', one particularly amazing feature at the time was it could recieve texts.
Anyway, the main purpose of the Joggler is to be a digital clock for the living room, and it became solely that once O2 support stopped.

In recent months crashes, freezing and rebooting became more and more frequent until around 2 days before posting this, it was practically unusable. So I took to work on researching a new OS for the device. Long behold, I done my work and installed the latest (still 6 years old though :lol: ) (30300) OpenPeak software onto the device using the Birds Like Wires reflash. It worked, and it worked great. The new OS is responsive, fast, no more crashes either, and better looking. Except for one aspect, the main one it's used for.
The clock.
The new clock interface (unlike the old OS it had to be accessed from the screensaver instead of tapping the top right small clock) is smaller and harder to see. In fact, from a distance the date's thin blue text cannot be seen at all. Just the time, so of course the residents of the house aren't too impressed.
I've decided Android with the play store is probably the best option from now. The problem comes is that the birds like wires reflash tool resets the storage capacity of the USB it is on when written using Win32DiskImager to a total of 476 Megabytes. Not enough for the Android 4.41 KitKat .img I found to be placed in the 'reflash' folder. I haven't found any clear instructions on how to install Android onto the system. Can someone please help?
Original clockface (sourced online as pics I have are from 2011 and too pixelated if you zoom in)
Original clockface (sourced online as pics I have are from 2011 and too pixelated if you zoom in)
photo2-300x225.jpg (9.7 KiB) Viewed 4848 times
Current clockface. Aim is to get similar readability as the original.
Current clockface. Aim is to get similar readability as the original.
Reflash in progress.
Reflash in progress.
hawsey

Re: New Software Installation for Clock

Post by hawsey »

KMc wrote:The joggler I have was bought new, around 8 years ago. At the time used as a multipurpose 'tablet', one particularly amazing feature at the time was it could recieve texts.
Anyway, the main purpose of the Joggler is to be a digital clock for the living room, and it became solely that once O2 support stopped.

In recent months crashes, freezing and rebooting became more and more frequent until around 2 days before posting this, it was practically unusable. So I took to work on researching a new OS for the device. Long behold, I done my work and installed the latest (still 6 years old though Image ) (30300) OpenPeak software onto the device using the Birds Like Wires reflash. It worked, and it worked great. The new OS is responsive, fast, no more crashes either, and better looking. Except for one aspect, the main one it's used for.
The clock.
The new clock interface (unlike the old OS it had to be accessed from the screensaver instead of tapping the top right small clock) is smaller and harder to see. In fact, from a distance the date's thin blue text cannot be seen at all. Just the time, so of course the residents of the house aren't too impressed.
I've decided Android with the play store is probably the best option from now. The problem comes is that the birds like wires reflash tool resets the storage capacity of the USB it is on when written using Win32DiskImager to a total of 476 Megabytes. Not enough for the Android 4.41 KitKat .img I found to be placed in the 'reflash' folder. I haven't found any clear instructions on how to install Android onto the system. Can someone please help?
photo2-300x225.jpg
IMG_20180110_182935.jpg
IMG_20180109_193715.jpg
Welcome to the forum KMc :-)

First try PNP III which is a totally updated version of what you have just flashed on to your Joggler , have a read of the PNP III thread , basically you will put it on to a usb stick , plug it in to the Joggler , switch it on and wait while it updates ( takes ages ).

Android will not fit on internal but runs off a usb stick , you can get some really small almost flush ones .

You also have other options , Squeezeplay OS will fit on internal or external ( usb ) and is a music player which also has a clock I'm pretty sure .

Xubuntu is another os that is Linux and runs external like Android and with that I'm sure Linux will have plenty clock options , one that springs to mind will be within KODI which is included together with Squeezeplay on the build .

Have fun , just ask if you require any help :-)

Good luck

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
KMc

Post by KMc »

Extracted the files from the download zip into a USB, unplugged the joggler from the mains, plugged the USB in the side and plugged the power cable back in.
Joggler booted normally, as if nothing happened. Lights indicating the USB was being used flashed for about 30 seconds then nothing and the Joggler continued to boot. :?
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Try a different USB drive, it can be a bit fussy
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I forget what it does exactly while installing PNP III but I know it boots a couple of times and looks like it's not working .
As Dwl99 says put it on another stick , switch back on and leave it , don't look at the screen or what it's doing :-)
Have a cuppa , come back .

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
KMc

Post by KMc »

[UPDATE]

After several attempts on multiple USB sticks, one of them finally decided to work so the software updated.
Great variety of options on the screensavers including the original O2 clock. So success it is! Thanks for the help guys!