Another find :-)

Non Joggler related discussion.
pete

Re: Another find :-)

Post by pete »

Wow...nice find!!!

Terminals in the 1990's were just that to back end big boxes (mainframes), Unisys, IBM, etc and used serial connectivity.

In the 1970's would play Star Trek on a teletype printer terminal in the water closet adjacent to my physics lab (a 6 hour class).

CRT University terminals were in the same building arranged circularly. While it was a University building it was owned by the government at the time.

Played Star Trek there too.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

If VT300 means DEC then it would be VT300 series rather than a particular model.
The mount for the screen looks unusual to me but the keyboard looks like a DEC one.
VT330 (etc) monochrome async dumb terminal - some had 2 async ports (and could split screen) other had special proprietary DEC protocol to run 2 sessions down single serial cable.

Any labels on the back of the monitor?
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

pete wrote:Wow...nice find!!!

Terminals in the 1990's were just that to back end big boxes (mainframes), Unisys, IBM, etc and used serial connectivity.

In the 1970's would play Star Trek on a teletype printer terminal in the water closet adjacent to my physics lab (a 6 hour class).

CRT University terminals were in the same building arranged circularly. While it was a University building it was owned by the government at the time.

Played Star Trek there too.
Sounds cool Pete :-) can find very little info on line about them , pre date Internet some what .

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Paul Webster wrote:If VT300 means DEC then it would be VT300 series rather than a particular model.
The mount for the screen looks unusual to me but the keyboard looks like a DEC one.
VT330 (etc) monochrome async dumb terminal - some had 2 async ports (and could split screen) other had special proprietary DEC protocol to run 2 sessions down single serial cable.

Any labels on the back of the monitor?
Paul ,

Not that I can see , will examine more closely when I return to the site .
The screen and mount are the coolest thing , it's like a consetina type thing that moves right up , then back down in to that circle thing in the base.
I'm thinking of a use for it , pretty sure it won't work again as it did once apon a time .
So a possible project would be to pair it with a ZX80 / Zx81 with the current CRT .

Or

Gut the CRT and add a Pi Zero or Pi 3 for some sort of project 8-)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling