SqueezePlay OS (Version 3) for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
pukington

Re: SqueezePlay OS (Version 3) for OpenFrame

Post by pukington »

Hey guys, thought i'd have a go with this OS on my joggler today.

I initially used an external USB which booted the device well. I entered the wifi SSID and password, rebooted, and it sat at the "Problem Connecting" page for connecting to mysqueezebox.com. After a few goes of Try again and Switch Library it seemed to work and I used it.

So i thought, i'd have a crack at installing on the Joggler's local drive, which i've done using the reflash tool. But i'm stuck again at the connecting to mysqueezebox.com page, Try again, and Switch Library doesn't have any effect, it just tries again and returns to the Problem Connecting page, I can't go anywhere from here.

I've confirmed that my Joggler is on the wifi as i can ping it from another machine and the mac address shows up on the router page. I've also SSH'd into it and can ping mysqueezebox.com with it. But I can't go any further. I've logged into mysqueezebox.com account, the joggler is listed, i had it there from when i used PnP3 with it, the same mac address etc all lines up.

Any hints on what i can do? I want to run off it's internal LMS regardless, perhaps if i can start the LMS with SSH then i can switch library and connect to it but i know nothing about this OS. Any pointers would be appreciated as i really want to use Airplay and send the sound over USB rather than the 3.5mm so i can use my dac.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

If you have an instance of LMS runnining on another computer then, when the link to MySqueezeboxdot com fails (which it nearly always does) you can switch libraries and connect to that other LMS.

Complete the set up and then on the Squeezeplay install the LMS which is version 7.8 all deb.

when this is installed, it takes a long time, ssh into the pi and wget

Code: Select all

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/7.9/sc/d424bbe/logitechmediaserver_7.9.1~1505480690_i386.deb
then sudo dpgk -i the download, this will give the smallest config possible for LMS.

If you want to upgrade from that you will need to uninstall the old and install the new as there is insufficient room to do anything else.

When this is completed register the Joggler if you want to access MySqueezeboxdotcom.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

Just to add that it all works better from the USB.

I have recently used one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-Ultr ... tflash+510

without a problem.

What I have done in the past is to use one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-USB-2-0-H ... a+usb2+hub

into the Joggler, load the LMS onto the usb stick, expand the 2nd partition on the stick using G-parted, plug the usb into the hub, start it all up, configure the LMS, then add the EDO plugin, attatched the usb dac to the hub and reboot it all up again. I have even attached a 1GB usb hard disk drive to the same hub for local music file storage.

ronnie
pukington

Post by pukington »

Ronnie, you're a gent. I literally just thought about installing the LMS on my mac as i read your comment.

I was thinking about running the OS from USB, but i'd prefer not to have a hub as use the usb out to connect to my dac that goes to my stereo. It sits on a shelf beside my stereo and looks quite sleek, i don't like it being too busy.

So i've managed to get into the OS having selected my mac as the LMS. I've just checked mysqueezebox.com account, and now there are two players listed, ten mins ago there was only one, both have the same mac address, so guess one is linked via the old PNP account, the second via this SPOS. I still can't connect via the joggler to mysqueezebox.com. Where on the Joggler do you enter your mysqueezebox account details? I can't seem to find that anwhere, i tried reset my registration and resynchronise, but nowt seems to work. I constantly get "There is a problem connecting to mysqueezebox.com", i even tried disabling my router firewall, no difference. I take it from your comment this isn't uncommon?

Oddly enough, now when i go into Settings -> Advanced -> Additional Features, there's no option to install LMS, which there was before when i ran it on the USB installation. There's something fishy going on here!
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

First, make sure you have the correct download for the internal squeezeplay,

http://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/op ... of1.img.gz

and

http://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/op ... img.gz.md5

it sounds like you have, but check anyway.

If you use this version, the LMS install is not available via the joggler, there is not enough room. I think version 1 and 2 still allowed this, maybe check in the Changelog.

You have to ssh in and download and install this one

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightl ... 0_i386.deb

I think it is just possible to then install the EDO (the dac might be available without EDO).

For Mysqueezedotcom on the joggler,

Home>Settings>Registration and Settings

Ronnie
pukington

Post by pukington »

Thanks again Ronnie, my own stupidity, i simply didn't read the blurb with the download, you're completely correct, the onboard install doesn't give an option of installing LMS on the device. So i've gotten round that nicely by simply installing LMS on my network Pihole raspberryPi that the Joggler connects to ok. It's also now connected to mysqueezebox.com too, so all is good, although it was previously registered to a David@ somewhere, so guessing that's Ruubarb's img that does that, plus it was called Garage.

I've ticked the boxes i need it to do, the airplay works, the usb output works. Oddly though, on PNP3, there is (or was) a third party plugin for Spotify by Triode that isn't listed, and i can't find a repo to add it to the plugin page, so guess it doesn't work anymore and i'll just airplay from my phone. The Spotty plugin doesn't work, i get a 404 on the install.

My last thing i want to sort, and i've searched the forums, is to have the Joggler work as a picture frame when it's on, and to use pictures from a remote directory. I found a link to a picture gallery plugin, but that's dead, so guess i need to use the image viewer.

I've installed samba on my remote machine, and can access the folder from via other network devices. I wanted to mount the folder in the joggler, but using

sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.3:/share /media
results in:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //192.168.0.3:/share,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
       (for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might
       need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail  or so
I'm fairly confident this is down to cifs not being installed, but using sudo apt-get install cifs-utils fails, as does sudo apt-get update for package lists. So i'm a little stumped now. I want to be able to mount that remote folder on boot.
JonTheNiceGuy

Post by JonTheNiceGuy »

This is because the apt repo it's pointing at has "gone" now. Scroll back through this thread, and there's a sed (or possibly awk - I always get them muddled up) line to swap it to the historical mirrors...
pukington

Post by pukington »

JonTheNiceGuy wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:31 pm This is because the apt repo it's pointing at has "gone" now. Scroll back through this thread, and there's a sed (or possibly awk - I always get them muddled up) line to swap it to the historical mirrors...
Sorted, many thanks, found the new sources.list file a few pages back. installed cifs, setup a mnt with fstab, all good. Although now for some reason my jogger wont go into additional features, so maybe i've broken something along the way. Think i'll do a reflash and set it all up, perhaps install LMS locally too following Offbeatdaves post a few back too rather than have it running on my external pi, save the resources.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

When you sort the apt-get do

sudo apt-get install libio-socket-ssl-perl libnet-ssleay-perl
and then try the
Spotty Spotify implementation for Squeezebox
in the 3rd party plugins, make sure there is no official Spotify selected in the "Active Plugins" list and you must be a Spotify Premium Person ;)

Ronnie
pukington

Post by pukington »

Cheers Ronnie, cheers Jon.

Joggler all setup, Spotty working, mnt working, lots of pictures where they need to be. Now setting up some automation for it to come on with using my homeassistant installation. Many thanks!
pete

Post by pete »

Noticed yesterday or day before that my OP2 with SqueezePlay was giving me issues and it appeared not to connect to my Squeezeserver.

Checking saw that I could not get to my Squeezeserver via html.

Rebooted it and it came back. It was odd that it quit working though. It did indicate a new update to Squeezeserver which I did.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
mj4586

Post by mj4586 »

Hi, does anyone know where I can find older versions (1 or 2 ) of SQPOS? I have 1.09 which worked fine for years but has now corrupted and needs reflashed. I've been running SBS from the installation on the internal memory and obviously version 3 does not have space for this on my openframe 1. Any help would be appreciated, many thanks.
pete

Post by pete »

Been utilizing SQPOS on the O2 Joggler, Openpeak1 and Openpeak2 devices and they work fine. Just tested this a couple of months ago creating a SQPOS on all of the aforementioned machines.

Only difference is that the Openpeak2 SQPOS works with a 2Gb eMMC flash where as the Openpeak1 and O2 Joggler have 1Gb eMMC flash.

The tighter fit is when you install SqueezeServer which is larger than previous versions.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

Yep, I still use 1.09 for various reasons.

It looks like Roobarb is still hosting the older versions here:

https://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/o ... lay/os/v1/

You just drop the appropriate files into the reflash tool, available on his website.
mj4586

Post by mj4586 »

Thanks johnnygal, was able to download them from there. All up and running again with version 2 which is allowing me to continue to use LMS from the internal memory. ...now if I can just remember how to un-mute my optical digital out mod!

To be fair it's a credit to Roobarb and his work that I've been running for so long without having to reflash that I'd forgotten how I set it all up! Thanks again.
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

No problem, glad you got it going again. I have found in the past though that once you start getting corruptions/failures on the internal memory, it's usually a sign that it's on the way out and will become unusable in the near future. I have a number of jogglers like this and can only use them now using usb sticks instead.
Good luck anyway
Last edited by johnnygal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
mj4586

Post by mj4586 »

Johnnygal, I suspect you're right. It's been running continuously for over five years so I can't complain! I don't use the internal wifi card so can use that slot instead if I need to.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

johnnygal wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:34 pm Yep, I still use 1.09 for various reasons.
Hey johnnygal; out of interest, why do you still run the older version? Only ask because I'm toying with the idea of making a version 4 when the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS release comes out, so wanted to check if I've missed something in v2 or v3. No promises, mind - I'll have to see how much has changed (systemd!) and probably need to do the 32-bit build on a 64-bit system (32-bit is not offered as standard any more in 18.04, IIRC) so I have no idea if it'll all come out in the wash right now.
johnnygal wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:34 pm It looks like Roobarb is still hosting the older versions
Yeah, they're not going anywhere. Always be able to grab the oldies if they're needed.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

Hi roobarb! nice to see you posting, Hope you are all well and have moved on from Farley's finest.

With regard to LMS there is now a smaller .deb package.

The v.7.9.1 nightlies have been pretty stable, only needing updating with regard to the new Spotty and Radio Paradise (flac) plugins, which M Herger is busy with ( he was hinting recently about a community release for the 7.9.1 as the 7.8 is a bit behind now).

Also "ralphy" has continued to update both the Squeezeplay and Squeezelite, so hopefully these might feature in any of your future plans.

A version 4 would be really welcomed I think, hope you can find the time. ;)

Ronnie
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Cheers, Ronnie - yeah, it's nice to have a few moments in the day to not be in panic mode these days!

Thanks for the pointers. I have to say I'm completely out of touch with LMS these days as I switched to using Shairport Sync (through the ShairportOS which I released on here somewhere) when I got Apple Music, which gives perfect multi-room audio streaming. Apple being Apple, there's no API for Apple Music, so no support in LMS - so far as I know, anyway. Not sure I'll go back to LMS - though I like the idea of having synchronised AirPlay on SQPOS (it's bog standard AirTunes compatibility that's in there right now) alongside a means of "just putting the radio on". And I like the idea of having a new LTS release and fresh kernel for the Joggler, so my hope is to roll it all up in one at some point.

But I have to do it in no more than 5 minute chunks before another task demands my attention these days, which is tricksy! Speaking of which... :D
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)