Cisco Openpeak 2 overvoltage

Discussion for non Joggler hardware / software including software for devices that share similarities with the O2 Joggler Hardware. This section has been opened for discussion of things like the settings up the EMGD drivers on other hardware using Ubuntu, as discussion of this has been banned at the official Ubuntu Forums.
danimal

Cisco Openpeak 2 overvoltage

Post by danimal »

HI,

I have 2 Cisco open peak 2 devices. I made the mistake of plugging the wrong PSU (12v) into them. On one of them I had not had to remove the component that protects the board against over-voltage so, I did that and now it works fine. The other however arrived defective and I removed that component prior to making this mistake and I am unable to get it to POST. At first the green LED was lightly flashing, but i started testing voltages on the board and which caused the LED to go solid green. That is where it has been since.

Does anyone have any idea where to look next for components damaged by the over voltage and how to test it?

Also I think I am going to put a fuse inline on the wire from the PSU plug to the board since i now have unprotected devices. I was thinking a 5V fast blow fuse and modifying the case to have a replaceable fuse holder. Any suggestions on placement, voltages etc?
pete

Re: Cisco Openpeak 2 overvoltage

Post by pete »

Does anyone have any idea where to look next for components damaged by the over voltage and how to test it?

No.

Here have two of these taken apart for tinkering purposes. Modded one with a second USB port. The boot ROM is soldered in to place making the device a bit difficult to play with.

I have one of the smaller O2 like Openpeak devices which I bypassed the fuse on and it been on now for some 2 years 24/7 with no issues. These are powered by original PS or POE.

The Cisco Openpeak 2 is one of my favorites. It runs Linux best. I had issues running Windows with the EFI booting

EFI - boot
- Linux works great
- Android works
- Windows works but could never get sound working

Seabios - boot
- Windows works - issues though with sound drivers and network drivers.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
danimal

Post by danimal »

Thanks for the reply!

I have not had success getting my Cisco device to boot to USB. I have tried various images as well as flash drives. Any bullet proof ways to get it to boot to USB?
pete

Post by pete »

Any bullet proof ways to get it to boot to USB?

Not really. Just patience. Thing is that the EFI boot chip is soldered in to place and you cannot do a hot swap of the bios with it.

I switched my Cisco EFI boot bios with an Avaya EFI boot bios and or Seabios boot bios.

That said I did brick the bios in my original testing such that it wouldn't boot to any OS.

I ended up doing the blind typing until I got it to boot to the USB stick.

The blind typing is very DOS like but you cannot see it. Historically the issue was a connected USB hub with both a keyboard and USB stick connected and powering up. There is a disconnect of the hub as it is booting so timing is critical. I used the little LED indicators on the USB keyboard. Initially on boot the LED indicators are illuminated. Then they go off for a second or two then turn on again. At this point was were I started the blind typing. If the device recognizes your typing then it will boot to the USB stick. If not then start all over again. You may want to try different USB keyboards / hubs.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Blind typing has worked many times for me on non responsive Openpeak devices too .
Use a full size usb keyboard and a usb hub with the usb stick plugged in to port 4 ( don't ask why it just works ) .
Try BuZz's Xubuntu first .
Good luck

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Do you know the blind typing method ?

Happy Joggling
danimal

Post by danimal »

Years back when I first got them I had posted and someone pointed me in that direction, but I may not have been doing it right. Is there a refresher somewhere that I can review or any tips?

Thanks!
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I'll post later today , at work at the Mo . :-) .

Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

This is a guide by Pete .

A - Don't Panic

B - Attach keyboard and known good usb stick with your Os on it and apply power to the Joggler

C - Press escape frantically (oh yes just like the good ol' days)

D - Once the num-lock key has lit, press escape a few more times. The process has worked if the numlock/caps lock key switches on and off when you press the appropriate key.

E - type the following: fs1:boot and press enter. You are typing blind thanks to the jogglers boot screen.

F - If it doesn't boot the USB stick repeat the whole process.

G - It it doesn't work repeat the whole process but type fs0:boot and press enter

Happy Joggling
danimal

Post by danimal »

Ok awesome! Will try it tonight! Is there a way to flash the efi so you don't have to boot that way moving forward?
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Yes but one step at a time :-)
Pete will guide you through the process once you get a boot in to Xubuntu .

Happy Joggling
danimal

Re: Cisco Openframe 2 overvoltage

Post by danimal »

Hey everyone! Sorry for the delays. I had some major projects steal my attention but I finally got back to it!

So far i have been unable to get it to boot to the flash drive. I can get it to stall the post, but fs1:boot does nothing and fs0:boot goes straight into the cisco branded openpeak dash. I have been using a flashdrive that works on one of my other openpeak branded units.

I think tonight i am going to try a different flash drive, and see if the results differ.

That being said. Are there any options if this doesn't work?

Thanks for all your help.
pete

Post by pete »

No.

If you brick the EFI boot rom then you will not be able to fix it as the boot rom is soldered in to place.

I doubt that there is an EFI boot process on the rom that doesn't allow interuptions.

Just recently accidently messed up a Cisco Openpeak 2 device. It was a brick.

I kept trying to do the blind typing interrupt thing and was able to change the EFI boot bios to a Seabios over time.

So keep trying.

I am confident you will get it or

Purchase a

1 - Openpeak O2 Joggler
2 - Openpeak Openpeak Joggler sized device.

By default #2 above comes with a ZIF clip for an SSD drive, removable boot EFI rom chip, microphone, Zigbee chip, DECT chip, large metal heatsink over the entire motherboard and USB WLAN stick inside.

I have added an RTC clock to #2 and a USB hub and 16Gb SSD and running Linux, Windows and Android from the 16Gb SSD.

I personally like the Openpeak 2 housing better than the Openpeak 1 (Joggler) housing. That said the Openpeak 2 motherboard is different than the Openpeak1 layout and size. The housing of the Openpeak 2 wasn't made for an easy peasey open. With a little big of tinkering you could maybe fit the Openpeak 1 motherboard inside of an Openpeak2 case.
- Pete

Auto mater
danimal

Post by danimal »

So i got a new flashdrive and got the same results. I can get the bios to halt, but fs1:boot does nothing. Fs0:boot hangs or enters original OS. Its odd the flashdrive shows all sorts of life but eventually it just goes straight into factory OS.

With the device on i ran nmap and found telnet wide open. I logged in via telnet with a user of root and no password!

Is it possible to vi any files that will force it to recognize the flashdrive on next post? I found a config file with a wealth of efi.

Finally i found a grub.cfg file. This file recognizes the xubuntu flash drive! But still cant figure out how to boot to it.

Thanks!
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Are you trying the stick in port 4 of a usb hub ? And also try Fs2 and Fs3 , Fs4 in the sequence .

Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

When you type fs1: hit return then type boot then hit return again. See if that helps.

Here originally created the boot Ubuntu stick using Ubunto write image program. This stick would not boot.

I then used Windows and Win32imager and the Ubuntu stick booted right up.

It is the EFI boot rom which tells the Openpeak to boot from the MMC or a USB stick. The USB has to have an EFI boot partition in fat16 or fat32.

Works best with fat16.

Create your USB stick.

EFI on the Openpeak devices is very fussy. When playing here with Windows booting from an EFI partition I would...

Copy the boot files in the boot partition to a spare directory on your PC. Format the partition in fat16 and copy over the EFI boot files.

That said for Windows in general Seabios (rom rewrite) worked the best and for Linux EFI rom worked the best.

I have one Openpeak 2 opened and over the last few years have done the following with it:

1 - added a USB port for a USB hub mounted on the back.
2 - removed mini PCiE card and substited an old Crystal HD broadcom video card - with this you can stream 1080 very well. I have been able to stream HD television this way from the HDHomerun boxes.
3 - now a days you can also connect a micro SATA card in the PCie slot and run a SATA SSD inside maybe. There is a large heatsink over the OpenPeak 2 device such that there is not a lot of play room. There are traces on the motherboard for a second mini pcie card and or a ZIF SSD card. There are also traces for a SIM card on the board.
4 - note that the combo WLAN and Bluetooth card works fine in Linux. It is a first or second generation combo card from around 2009 or 2010.

2nd Openpeak 2 purchased was totally modified when I took it apart. On the motherboard in red marker is "O2".
There is a socket for the EFI boot rom, DECT chip stuff was removed, Zigbee chip was removed. Boots up fine and it appears to be some sort of prototype. The fuse was burned on this one and it didn't boot up until I replaced it. This one is labeled as an OpenPeak device. This one I am saving and not modifying in any way.

Rest of Openpeak 2 devices here are labeled Openpeak and one is labeled Cisco. These are identical inside. These came boxed in a Black Openpeak box similar to the O2 Jogglers. They came with Openpeak DECT telephones. I also have Verizon labled Openpeak DECT telephones which also work fine. I have been able to pair up the DECT phones with my DECT stuff and they work fine (sort of). They were sold as video telephones.

Ideally the DECT stuff would be nice to integrate. The Zigbee chip is old and was one of the first ones used for thermostats and energy meters. Might still work with Zigbee thermostats.

The Openpeak Cisco device mentioned above is being returned to owner. I do not want to open the case such that it will only run Linux now. I may remove the default OS and replace it with a light Linux as there is 2Gb of space to play with this device.
- Pete

Auto mater