Ubuntu / Xubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
WLZ

Re: Ubuntu / Xubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

Post by WLZ »

Hi BuZz,

First of all, happy new year!

I came across this site last December when I found my joggler. I am amazed there are still many users and great support available. I decided to give it a try following your instruction before throw it away.

I download the Ubuntu and copy to the USB drive. When I boot the joggler from the USB, I go through the steps of entering username and password. It shows "joggler@joggler:$". I have no experience of Ubuntu or linux at all, so I do not know what to do next. Do I need to type in any command? if so, could you give me a few lines of command as examples to get me started? or some useful website for me to follow? Thanks. I do not want to give it up once I started!

Thanks in advance.

WLZ
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Hi WLZ
Welcome to the forum , Happy New Year :-)
I'm not BuZz but might be able to help ...
I think you downloaded the wrong image , there are two Xbuntu versions , a base build with no desktop for people to add their own stuff to via a terminal which is I think the version you have .Then there is the desktop version with Kodi and other programmes added which is the one you need :-) , I'll fish out the link , remember to use the fastest usb stick you have .

It's the Xubuntu one you need ,here

http://jwills.co.uk/projects/joggler-xubuntu/download/

Also the Joggler can boot Squeeze play OS , Android ICS/KitKat etc , many others as well
Have fun
Happy Joggling
WLZ

Post by WLZ »

Thanks. That explains a lot.

Actually, I tried to download the Xubuntu many times, it takes hours and still cannot complete the download or cannot unzip properly. That's the reason I downloaded the base version. I will try again tonight.

What I want the most for the joggler is to listen to the radio, will Xubuntu be my best choice? Any other simple options?

Good night!
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Squeezeplay OS for music including radio , it's based on BuZz's Ubuntu base if I remember correctly and is amazing , it was made by Roobarb on here also .
With Squeezeplay you can even sync music on multiple players , so you play say Radio 6 on one Joggler and it plays them on them all , very nifty ; also there are early stages of Amazon Echo intergration for LMS which is part of Squeezeplay so some day maybe the two will work together ....
Look in the general software section for a download , any questions , just ask :-)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Happy Joggling
WLZ

Post by WLZ »

This time I managed to install Xubuntu successfully, but haven't figured out how to install BBC iplayer. any idea?
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Great news :-) well I'm not sure what to you mean , you could open up a web browser and go to the iPlayer page and watch that way .
On the build you have your best bet would be Kodi which I'm pretty sure is already installed , in Kodi you can access lots of stuff I can't discuss on this forum but feel free to PM me if you need any further advice .
You can boot Android ICS or Kit Kat ok with a fast USB stick also but only for music , video will not work on Android .
If you want to go along the Kodi route I would recommend the build you have , set up to auto boot straight in to Kodi with a set up of your choice , you may need to adjust the thermal PSV settings (throttling) if things seem to be slowing down a little :-)

Happy Joggling
WLZ

Post by WLZ »

I got the BBC iplayer working now. It is slow but won't bother me. I got a radio app installed and find url for my favorite radios. Happy! Thanks
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Great stuff , slow could be just down to the speed of your usb stick maybe .
Android will also boot on the Joggler and I've had the BBC radio app working on that before as well .

Happy Joggling
WLZ

Post by WLZ »

It was a great experience, very challenging as well. No one dares to throw away my joggler now :lol: . Very ambitious now, going to work on my TV box.

Good work, guys!
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

What are you using for your TV box ?

Happy Joggling
WLZ

Post by WLZ »

I installed Kodi on the TV box.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

v1.6 of the Xubuntu images have been released - see first post in thread or visit - http://jwills.co.uk/projects/joggler-xubuntu/

Changes:
  • Kernel 3.2.84
  • Package Roll-ups
  • OpenSSH enabled by default on Xubuntu
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thanks BuZz much appreciated :-)

Happy Joggling
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

BuZz wrote:v1.6 of the Xubuntu images have been released - see first post in thread or visit - http://jwills.co.uk/projects/joggler-xubuntu/

Changes:
  • Kernel 3.2.84
  • Package Roll-ups
  • OpenSSH enabled by default on Xubuntu
Thank you very much BuZz for both the xubuntu update and also the ubuntu base/server image update to 1.6.

I'm downloading them both now and will try them out soon.

Did you stick with the 3.2 branch of the kernel because this is compatible with the EMGD that works on the joggler ? Do you think it would be possible to use a more basic graphics driver and have a later version of the kernel ? Maybe just for the base/server edition.

J
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

It should be possible without emgd - audio may be a problem too. Emgd could probably work against a newer kernel, but the binary blob part still needs an ancient xorg, so wouldn't be worth including it if going for up to date stuff.

I don't have a lot of free time currently though due to other projects.
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

BuZz wrote:It should be possible without emgd - audio may be a problem too. Emgd could probably work against a newer kernel, but the binary blob part still needs an ancient xorg, so wouldn't be worth including it if going for up to date stuff.

Thanks for a great image build BuZz. I'm using the Xubuntu 1.6 image to post this now.

* It seems to run faster than other xubuntu builds I've run previously
* It's really up to date. An apt-get update on 5/2/17, had only one package to update
* Havent used it but having sshd running is useful
* Not sure why but on first boot after being up for about 15 minutes and not yet connected to the net, it appeared to do a logout, log back in restart. Wasn't a reboot. As far as I recall, I didn't initiate this.
* I usually remove a few packages I don't want. Particularly florence, as I've had problems in the past and I've noticed florence take a lot of cpu time. I don't use the touch screen

All in all it's a great piece of work. Thank you ever so much BuZz for keeping a great OS going on a great piece of hardware.

I haven't tried the base/server image yet, but will do soon. This is what I use the most.

Cheers

J
Last edited by Juggler on Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I am going to rebuild/replace the xubuntu images - somehow my own config got in `/boot/grub.cfg` with `thermal.psv=85`

It shouldn't be in the final images. That's maybe why it seemed faster (if you didn't change the throttle point yourself previously on images).
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

BuZz wrote:It should be possible without emgd - audio may be a problem too. Emgd could probably work against a newer kernel, but the binary blob part still needs an ancient xorg, so wouldn't be worth including it if going for up to date stuff.

Thanks for the explanation. I've looked at the projects your involved in and your doing some great work in what I think of as the golden age of microcomputers and games i.e. around the 1980s. I'm really looking forward to try out retro pi, especially the Amiga emulation. I haven't used an Amiga since 1990, and sadly I lost my 500 and many other micros of the 80's I collected, over 10 years ago.

Does the ubuntu base/server image depend on xorg and the EMGD blobs ?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Thanks.

The base image doesn't require xserver/emgd blob, but does include them (as it's designed to you can install what you want etc including desktop)
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Could you leave the thermal PSV 85 alone until I get them downloaded tonight please BuZz :-)
Cheers

Happy Joggling