Ubuntu / Xubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
hawsey

Re: Ubuntu / Xubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

Post by hawsey »

Ha ha Pete , not sure what you mean ....

Sent from my Smart Ultra 6 using Tapatalk
Happy Joggling
monkeydogcat

Post by monkeydogcat »

hawsey wrote:
Andrew1971 wrote:Hi All
Is there any chance on getting the ubuntu netbook remix interface on the joggler
if so how.
Andrew
Andrew , I think its called the Unity desktop now
It was always called Unity, it just first appeared in the Netbook Remix before it became the default desktop environment in Ubuntu.

That Unity 3D doesn't work in Jool's build is listed as one of the issues at http://jwills.co.uk/projects/joggler-xubuntu/features/ The 3D part of Unity 3D is kinda redundant now. There used to be a 2D version of Unity but it was removed after 12.04. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Unity2D
monkeydogcat

Post by monkeydogcat »

pete wrote: Yeah what I was doing was typing on the Joggler and just copying what I typed on another computer logged in to the forum.
See this is one reason why I do any keyboard interaction with Joggler over SSH. I can just copy/paste commands out of the terminal that I'm logged in to the Joggler on in to a notes file or wherever.

pete wrote: Curious what you are using mplayer for?
Right now I'm using it as part of something I'm tinkering with makes the Joggler a little box which sits there displaying an endless stream of clips extracted from randomly selected YouTube videos. Without the sound, because that otherwise it would create an quickly annoying cacophony. It has no practical purpose whatsoever, but it amuses me to attempt to create such a thing. vaapi enabled mplayer is the ideal tool for this. It's possible to run two instances of it each smoothly playing 1080 H.264 at the same time on the Joggler with negligible CPU load. It goes from invocation to playing fullscreen in about a second. It can be invoked with options to specify full screen and no audio.
pete

Post by pete »

not sure what you mean ....

That was why I just wanted a yes or no. It is easier not knowing why if that makes sense?

Right now I'm using it as part of something I'm tinkering with makes the Joggler a little box which sits there displaying an endless stream of clips extracted from randomly selected YouTube videos. Without the sound, because that otherwise it would create an quickly annoying cacophony. It has no practical purpose whatsoever, but it amuses me to attempt to create such a thing. vaapi enabled mplayer is the ideal tool for this. It's possible to run two instances of it each smoothly playing 1080 H.264 at the same time on the Joggler with negligible CPU load. It goes from invocation to playing fullscreen in about a second. It can be invoked with options to specify full screen and no audio.

Ahh.....curious what you see when you are running two streams at the same time on the Joggler? I would like that view on a screen saver...

Do a similiar screen saver here playing back old newsreel clips / television commercials from the 1930's to current time...mixed it with my own videos (sans sound)...IE: one of my favorite videos is of my wife jumping out of a plane. It is well done from the showing her how to jump out of a plane, to sitting in the plane waiting to jump, then jumping out and watching her facial expressions....(it was one of her bucket list things along with being dropped off in the sky in a glider which I think she enjoyed more). I have old family movies from the 1950's up which I digitized way long time ago. IE: first automobile I drove in the 1960's, parrot from the 1970's (she is old today)...et al.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Unrelated to OP the Joggler forum seems to be getting hit with much spam lately.

Bored folks I guess that have nothing else to do.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
monkeydogcat

Post by monkeydogcat »

pete wrote: Ahh.....curious what you see when you are running two streams at the same time on the Joggler?
Well if you invoke with full screen, you see whichever instance of mplayer was invoked last gets displayed on top. So you do

Code: Select all

$ mplayer -fs vid1.mp4  </dev/null >/dev/null 2>&1 &  sleep 5 ; $ mplayer -fs vid2.mp4
You see vid1 for 5 seconds, then vid2. In theory at least, should be able to do something to make cutting between videos appear entirely seamless, maybe by manipulating stacking order using xdotool or wmctrl. Not entirely figured that out yet though.
pete wrote: I would like that view on a screen saver...
Never heard of using a video as a screensaver, but Google shows you're not the first person to have the idea or of using mplayer to do it. It appears to be possible.
pete

Post by pete »

Thank you MDC.

Yup here using some of my automation touchstones in video playback only. Much of this is old 1950-1960's 8mm and super 8mm converted to digital format way long time ago using one of those light boxes with a camera bracket converting the video to digtial 8mm with my Sony cameras way long time ago. First ones were way big and heavy.
- Pete

Auto mater
Error

Post by Error »

in Xubuntu, you can switch screen of via light locker.
Is there a way to make a "switch screen off" command with a shortcut on the desktop?
pete

Post by pete »

I do this today with the wintel touchsceens locally and via remote control.

On XUbuntu playing with the command line stuff / executable desktop-shortcut item but my touchscreen client is loosey goosey still today (running in mono or wine). Well it is just slow running but works.

It would be sort of like:

Guesstimating here...

1 - turn of display
xset -display :0.0 dpms force off

2 - touch enable display
sudo sh -c 'vbetool dpms off; read ans; vbetool dpms on'

3 - all of the remote stuff is easy via a remote telnet or ssh command. I am doing that today with the Linux automation mothership to a Linux remote console.

4 - touch item on touch client runs a recorded trigger / script on the mother ship to remote control the client is another way I do this.

IE: push button triggers an event on the mothership and the event on the mothership turns off the local client screen.
- Pete

Auto mater
monkeydogcat

Post by monkeydogcat »

Error wrote:in Xubuntu, you can switch screen of via light locker.
Is there a way to make a "switch screen off" command with a shortcut on the desktop?
Sure there is, this is Linux, there's ways to blank the screen from command line and anything that can be run on command line can be called from an icon on the desktop by constructing a desktop entry. It's how the XFCE/GNOME/KDE menus work. Go in to ~/joggler/Desktop and look at one of the files that are already there in Jool's build which have a name ending in .desktop for examples. See also https://specifications.freedesktop.org/ ... ec/latest/ (They're not called Shortcuts, that's a Windows term ;) )

One of the commands pete suggests might do what you want. But how do you envisage that the screen be turned on again? If the screen is turned off, you can't see an icon on the Desktop to touch to turn it back on again. How about putting an icon on the desktop that invokes light-locker? Or just using the icon for light-locker that already exists in the XFCE menu? Though that requires two taps of the screen in different places to activate, rather than two taps in the same place as an icon on the Desktop would.

Oh, I just invoked light-locker. It blanked the screen but now I can't un-blank the screen. Even after logging in with SSH and killing the light-locker process the screen remains blank. Have you actually tried light-locker on the Joggler?
pete

Post by pete »

This is what I am doing in Windows and partially in Wine right now. This is new screen today having found a lightning gif. It is mesmerizing.
screen.jpg
- Pete

Auto mater
trevordavies

xubuntu F2FS boot failure

Post by trevordavies »

I tried two different sticks, but with http://jwills.co.uk/files/joggler/xubun ... 2fs.img.gz after the blue xubuntu splash screen, I get
run-init: /sbin/init: Permission denied
Kernel panic..etc

I mounted the linux-root (f2fs) partition on another ubuntu pc, and that file is there and executable, so I don't know what the issue is.

Any ideas?
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: xubuntu F2FS boot failure

Post by BuZz »

trevordavies wrote:I tried two different sticks, but with http://jwills.co.uk/files/joggler/xubun ... 2fs.img.gz after the blue xubuntu splash screen, I get
run-init: /sbin/init: Permission denied
Kernel panic..etc

I mounted the linux-root (f2fs) partition on another ubuntu pc, and that file is there and executable, so I don't know what the issue is.

Any ideas?
Please try the ext4 image - the f2fs is not recommended. I may actually remove it as it's additional effort to maintain / test and it really doesn't offer much benefit (it is an old f2fs version, and has no recovery tools etc)
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

Hi BuZz

I really appreciate all the great work and support you've given to the Joggler community for several years now. You've helped to make Jogglers far greater than they were ever originally intended. I have your builds running 24/7 and it amazes me just how solid they are, even with the flakey devices I use with them !

I know you have a great deal going on with your family, work and other projects.

I'm just wondering if there is the possibility that you may do a 16.04 release ?

J
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Thanks.

I don't have any plans, but I have another 14.04 update coming.
tomaszd

Post by tomaszd »

BuZz wrote:Thanks.

I don't have any plans, but I have another 14.04 update coming.
Did you document your kernel compilation, patching and update process somewhere? I'm mainly looking for a step by step guide so that anyone can figure it out and upgrade the kernel to 3.10.104+ for some semblance of security.

Looking forward to the new 14.04 release, I still have two jogglers and I'm not throwing them away!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I already put this in an email to you that I don't have time to write step by step instructions, but I pointed you to the source and a small build script which just needs to be run.

There are no major remotely exploitable issues afaik, just some local privilege escalation stuff. I wouldn't think an old Joggler is the best hardware for a "must be secure" multi user system.

updating to newer Kernels is possible, if you are willing/able to patch up EMGD and the sound drivers and some of the other dkms drivers we include.
monkeydogcat

Post by monkeydogcat »

[quote="BuZz"]I already put this in an email to you that I don't have time to write step by step instructions, but I pointed you to the source and a small build script which just needs to be run.

Could you put a link to source and script and anything else of relevance here? I totally appreciate you don't have time to write step by step instructions, just whatever notes/scripts you have. I assume you don't depend upon being able to recall everything involved in making a build entirely from memory. (Though maybe you have a much better memory than me. ;) ) Right now the continued usefulness of a bunch of people's Joggler's seems to be pretty much dependent upon your goodwill. It'd be nice if there was at least the possibility of someone else being able to take over what you in the event that you stop doing it for whatever reason.

It's something I'd be interesting in at least having a look at and might at some point get it together enough to do something with, albeit quite likely something that turned out to be fit only for my own consumption. I've built stuff from source umpteen times, but never anything for distribution like you're doing with this. And I've never built a .deb - I'm very much a .rpm person ;)

(Typed whilst listening to music played by what is, thanks to you, now my Kodi Joggler)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Well, should someone else come along who wants to continue - the information is already out there (And they wouldn't need a how to on building a kernel).

The kernel config and patches can be found at github – https://github.com/joolswills/linux/tree/joggler-v3.2

It's already linked on my Joggler page here http://jwills.co.uk/projects/joggler-xubuntu/features/

Everything else is on the Joggler PPAs - https://launchpad.net/~jools/+archive/u ... gd-xorg1.9 / https://launchpad.net/~jools/+archive/u ... gd-xorg1.9
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I'm not going anywhere btw (Unless you have heard something?!) - I'm still running this site too!