SqueezePlay OS (Version 3) for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
golvellius

Re: SqueezePlay OS (Version 3) for OpenFrame

Post by golvellius »

Hi ...

I have installed latest version .. with Joggler in internal flash ...

after some problems to connect to squeezebox.com now working ...

It is possible to use spotify ? , i have installed application but it said that type of file it's not compatible when playing the file , connects ok to spotify but no sound ....

I need a plugin ? where can i get it ?

Thanks a lot
golvellius

Post by golvellius »

Problem solved ...

I have used the usb version , after i configured in the LMS added 3rd party aplications and now Working ...

Finally .. i need some efford but WORKS !!!!

Now i am installing LMS in the flashversion to see if it's working .... ;) lets see
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

golvellius wrote:Hi ...

I have installed latest version .. with Joggler in internal flash ...

after some problems to connect to squeezebox.com now working ...

It is possible to use spotify ? , i have installed application but it said that type of file it's not compatible when playing the file , connects ok to spotify but no sound ....

I need a plugin ? where can i get it ?

Thanks a lot
hola and welcome ;)

this will explain what to do, you need LMS to be running on something

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... ueezeboxen

atb

ronnie
pete

Post by pete »

Welcome to the Joggler forum golvelliu!

The OpenFrame device is unique among it's peers in that it has 2Gb of play space versus 1Gb.

Just purchased a clear plastic case here from a Guitar maker (obi wan) in Granada, Spain.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

It wont be Joggler related but when I try to open my Logitech Squeeze play controller app on my Android phone it just comes up with a screen saying Free Your Music then sticks , ive tried clearing cache , installing an earlier version etc but no good , anyone else use this ?
Cheers

Sent from my Smart Ultra 6 using Tapatalk
Happy Joggling
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

hawsey wrote:It wont be Joggler related but when I try to open my Logitech Squeeze play controller app on my Android phone it just comes up with a screen saying Free Your Music then sticks , ive tried clearing cache , installing an earlier version etc but no good , anyone else use this ?
Cheers

The official LMS app on android stopped working a couple or so Android upgrades ago, I can't remember the last one to work.

ronnie
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Ahh righto I'm pretty sure I used it recently but maybe no :-)
So what do people use ?

Happy Joggling
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

hawsey wrote:Ahh righto I'm pretty sure I used it recently but maybe no :-)
So what do people use ?

I use this one, it still gets updates.

http://angrygoatapps.com/products_android.html
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Cheers
Happy Joggling
JonTheNiceGuy

Post by JonTheNiceGuy »

Hi,

Is there any way that I can pre-populate things like Wifi credentials, or the preferred ubuntu mirror to use for updates?

I'm wandering around my house resetting up all my jogglers with this latest version, because I wanted to install a package from Ubuntu (I'm doing fun things with home-assistant.io and was hoping to install kismet on them to do proximity detection... anyway) and so have spent the best part of an hour performing the post-install stuff on all these boxes.

It'd be nice if some of the stuff being used to build these images was available online somewhere (e.g. github? :) ) so I could have a poke around for myself.

I know Logitech have EOL'd the LMS but I find the SQPOS boxes to be really rather useful around my house, especially as I have so many of the ... things :) now :D

All the best, etc.

Jon
pete

Post by pete »

Welcome to the Joggler forum Jon.

Is there any way that I can pre-populate things like Wifi credentials

I have not had issues using Buzz's stock Ubuntu 14.04 build.

Maybe it's me but have converted all my laptops over to Ubuntu 16.04 and I have had issues with the video drivers and wifi drivers now which has become a real PITA.

or the preferred ubuntu mirror to use for updates?

I do not think this will work as Buzz's Ubuntu 14.04 build is customized for the Joggler / Intel motherboard and embedded style video graphics which are no longer supported by Intel.

That is a guess.

I'm wandering around my house resetting up all my jogglers with this latest version, because I wanted to install a package from Ubuntu (I'm doing fun things with home-assistant.io and was hoping to install kismet on them to do proximity detection... anyway) and so have spent the best part of an hour performing the post-install stuff on all these boxes.

I have installed Kismet on my Ubuntu 14.04 build with no issues. You can do the same with the Bluetooth stuff.

Relating to automation stuff here I have also test automation using Z-Wave/UPB/X10/WiFi/Bluetooth to work just fine with the stock Buzz's build on Ubuntu 14.04.

Graphically can stream live TV today on the stock Ubuntu build and it works for me. The Joggler GPU though is old and not as fast as what you see today.

My preference for the touch screen automation console today is Wintel (embedded) over Android (never liked it) or IOS. That is me. With a Seabios replacement of the EFI boot bios you can run all of the flavors of Wintel. Here I prefer the embedded Wintel doing Microsoft SAPI and doing much graphical stuff.

Tinker here with my Amazon Echo stuff, Kinect and Amazon Alex applications / automation. While I do VR / TTS still here mostly in house versus using the cloud; tinker with all of it anyways. I have no automation dependencies on the Internet or any cloud applications but do tinker with cloud based stuff.

It'd be nice if some of the stuff being used to build these images was available online somewhere (e.g. github? :) ) so I could have a poke around for myself.

The Joggler Ubuntu builds have always been available for your picking.

I know Logitech have EOL'd the LMS but I find the SQPOS boxes to be really rather useful around my house, especially as I have so many of the ... things :) now :D

Here have used / using Jogglers as Squeezebox players autonomously and automation remote controlled connected to my Russound 12 zones. I also use KODI boxes like this. Base automation consoles number is 15-20 plus the Squeezebox players and Kodi players and test boxes. Less than 40 on line though.

Read on the last few years of postings here and a bit of the history on how this forum came about.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
JonTheNiceGuy

Post by JonTheNiceGuy »

Hey Pete!

Thanks for the reply.

So, to put this in some context, I've been running the SQPOS for at least 4 years now, the issue here was that I was performing the same post-install config (the version of SQPOS I had on these was based on Ubuntu 10.04, which meant I wasn't able to apt-get install on any of them) on all the boxes once they'd had the OS deployed (nano /etc/apt/sources.list [replace http://mirror.server/ubuntu/ with mirror://mirrors.ubuntu.com/mirrors.txt] && apt update && apt dist-upgrade -y && curl http://home-server/hostname > /etc/hostname && shutdown -r now) and I figured, if anyone else was doing the same thing, then someone else might want some "nice" features adding to the SQPOS image created by Roobarb!

Regarding the Kismet side of things, it turns out that the on-board Wifi adaptor doesn't do multi-mode, which means it can't scan the way I was hoping it would. I'll be checking online to find some cheapish slimline wifi adaptors, and use one of those instead.

The main reason I'm using the SQPOS build is that my wife has accepted them as clocks that sometimes play music. If I can get them to serve a double duty as *something else at the same time* then I'm on to a winner :)

I was asking about how the builds are created not particularly because I could do something with it myself (although... maybe, if I have to!) but because I find it quite useful to create Pull Requests to support adding simple changes that scratch my itches, and I've not been able to do that with this project thus far!

Around your comment on the number of nodes, I'm nowhere near that number (7 jogglers, 3 PI's and a small collection of other gadgets), but I've got to the point of needing an IP Schema for my household, and I'm using the Home-Assistant.io project to start tinkering with the home automation thing, but it's not an easy thing to commit time or funds to, hence the multi-purposing of devices around the house.

Anyway, thanks for getting back to me Pete!
pete

Post by pete »

Ahhh..

The main reason I'm using the SQPOS build is that my wife has accepted them as clocks that sometimes play music. If I can get them to serve a double duty as *something else at the same time* then I'm on to a winner :)

There are many Joggler users doing exactly what you are doing with Squeezebox. That and I have asked questions on the Squeezebox forum and the folks there are great.

Just looked at the Home Assistant web site. I am impressed and seeing that would run fine on the Joggler's Native Ubuntu build that Buzz has done.

Here have been trying with Mono / Wine but its too slow for me. Well wine is better.

Yes the Joggler home automation consoles here are typically sitting in clock, video or picture screen saver mode.

They are multiple purpose today. I can call specific live video streaming from television or CCTV or just turn on a lamp or run an automation event. Mixing in Microsoft SAPI VR/TTS I can do more with them.

The Openpeak devices versus the Joggler O2 devices have a bit more to them with Zigbee and DECT stuff. Personally not too much in to wireless automation but I feel that Zigbee has an edge over Z-Wave these days. Went googling for DECT tools and they all disappeared from my searches.

Imagine for bit if Home Assistant could utilize the Zigbee chip inside of the Openpeak device. I've tested Z-Wave and 802.11 automation to work fine on the Openpeak.
- Pete

Auto mater
shadow1901

Post by shadow1901 »

Hi Pete

What software your preferred for the openframe2 device?
At moment I have installed on internal space the Squezzeplayer.
My goal is to surf in internet and the squezzeplayer to enjoy music.

Or do you have other cool features.

Regards Shadow1901
pete

Post by pete »

What software your preferred for the openframe2 device?

I can't say mostly because I am more in to hardware tinkering here. I like the Openframe (with speakers in front) look the best but the 1Mb boot rom is soldered on to the board. Inside of it there are more options (traces).

Whatever runs in the 2Gb MMC initially way long time ago.

Been hardware tinkering unsuccessfully with a PATA / microSD card slot. Removed pata traces by accident and SD card still doesn't work. Added a second USB port on motherboard where cam connections are.

Another mod is to remove the combo (old now) mini pcie card and replace it with a tiny SATA controller with SSD and move the combo wireless to aux USB.

Booting Wintel/Android/Linux from said added USB port fine which frees up rear USB port.

My goal is to surf in internet and the squeezeplayer to enjoy music.

You can do this fine with Buzz's latest Ubuntu build.
- Pete

Auto mater
conflicy1967

Post by conflicy1967 »

Been using SqueezePlay OS probably since the early v1 releases on my Joggler, but the power tripped twice in a row and corrupted it.

I've tried to reflash it a few times with different sticks, but settled on just reflashing with OpenPeak software, as nothing seemed to work. So it's running with the OpenPeak and I've tried to reflash it with SqueezePlay OS v3.03, v3.02 and v2.06 using the internal versions. The same USB I used for OpenPeak (though overwritten) boots the joggler to the squeezeplay splash screen, but after a minute the screen blinks on and off with squeezeplay displayed (though backlight stays on when it blinks) and never seems to finish.

I've reflashed the OS back to OpenPeak a few times to tidy up any internal disk issues, but everytime I boot I get the same blinking?

Anybody came across this or resolved this?
conflicy1967

Post by conflicy1967 »

Fixed it. Where there's a will there's a way. Used the Reflash image, then loaded the SqueezeOS img and MD5 into the directories, which reflashed the Joggler to SqueezePlay OS 3.0.3.
Aquitaine

Post by Aquitaine »

Hi Guys,
So cool to c that there is more people out there still using the joggler ^_^.

I have had some non connecting going on with my joggler to lms and so i decided to reinstall my whole setup.

LMS is running on a nas while the joggler serves as a controller for the music, while being all pretty next to my stereo.

I have now managed to flash Squeezeplay from birdslikewires to an usb drive and have got the wireless connection to my lan going. By first connecting wired.

While it was connected wired there was connection to lms and my music library.

Now when i disconnect the wire and fire up the Joggler it connects to the lan but does not connect to LMS..

What do i do now ?
castalla

Post by castalla »

You have to point squeezeplay at LMS.

Main menu - My Music - choose music location
joggly

Post by joggly »

is there a way to customise weather and clock applet for screensaver? Got bored :-). Also how to correctly enter weather location?