Jongo Speakers .

Discussion for non Joggler hardware / software including software for devices that share similarities with the O2 Joggler Hardware. This section has been opened for discussion of things like the settings up the EMGD drivers on other hardware using Ubuntu, as discussion of this has been banned at the official Ubuntu Forums.
hawsey

Jongo Speakers .

Post by hawsey »

My appetite whetted by Castalla I have been looking at these Jongo speakers as he has just bought one.
They work well with Squeezeplay Os .

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 30&alt=web

What is the difference between say an S3 and the newer S3X ?

Are there dodgy copies around does anyone know as the prices seem to vary wildly on the net .

On them could you have the Speaker named for instance BBQ speaker and be able to play music from the LMS to it ?
As well as a cold beer I need one of these when I am cremating the families food in the garden ;-)

Sent by SlimKat FirePhone
Happy Joggling
castalla

Re: Jongo Speakers .

Post by castalla »

I can't discover what the difference is - maybe some hidden hardware fixes. In any event the latest firmware update is the same for the two models (unless you buy a US model s3 which has its own firmware - no idea why)

The best price for the s3x is 109 for black - 119 for ice (grey speaker cover).

There are some refurbished units on ebay - guess you take a chance.

They are a bit fiddly to set up - you need android or iOS to fine tune the settings.

The easiest set-up is to go the WPS router setup.

The upnpbridge setup is easy (I think my config is now on the preset config list). You can name the speaker whatever you like - it appears as another squeezebox player in LMS. I tested music and live radio (mainly BBC) - worked fine with my config

One point - there's no equalizer feature (that's only available on the T series). Sonos has an equalizer feature which carries over to upnpbridge access.

I didn't notice a great difference between the Jongo and the Play1 - for me the big plus is that the Jongo is slightly smaller and has the battery function. There's also a 80 quid price difference!

The wifi performance seems pretty good - although I have a tp-link C8 which has a good reach. I had no problems over 15-20 metres through concrete floors.

I noticed today that amazon.de have sold out on the Ice model.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

The link above they are £ 79.99 buy one get one free so £40 each , manufacturing refurb 8-)
I would go for it as they are for the garden and brand new is not my concern , however pay day looms :-(.

Happy Joggling
castalla

Post by castalla »

hawsey wrote:The link above they are £ 79.99 buy one get one free so £40 each , manufacturing refurb 8-)
I would go for it as they are for the garden and brand new is not my concern , however pay day looms :-(.

Sounds good - wonder if there's an ice model available? I haven't tested if they work as a pair with upnpbridge.

A Sonos pair works fine with upnpbridge.
crystalgipsy

Post by crystalgipsy »

Thanks for that link. Just ordered a pair of those speakers for my bedroom does gapless playback work at all on them? I tried the upnp bridge on my amp which had dnla and could not get it to work very well so this is a bit of a gamble for me,
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Nice one :-)

I haven't ordered yet , but looking at them and the reviews , they look perfect to team up with a Joggler for a nice little set up ...

Happy Joggling
castalla

Post by castalla »

crystalgipsy wrote:Thanks for that link. Just ordered a pair of those speakers for my bedroom does gapless playback work at all on them? I tried the upnp bridge on my amp which had dnla and could not get it to work very well so this is a bit of a gamble for me,
Have to admit that I have no idea what 'gapless' means! Explanation?

When you get them, set them up separately on wifi, so each gets a unique ip address. Leave connected and on power for a few hours (during the first couple of hours, each will update the firmware if necessary). If they are S3 and not S3X then you will need to update the firmware manually using the usb method.

To get each speaker to work with upnpbridge you'll need to edit the config for each - contact me and I'll send you the preferred settings. There's a online profile for the Jongo which you can use - but I may have modified the settings since that profile was created.

Once the speakers are set-up and recognised by LMS, then it's a simple procedure to sync and set each as stereo jeft and right.

---------

You can also modify the native Pure settings using the Pure Connect app - so the speakers will work via Pure as a stereo pair - this doesn't carry over to LMS. So only useful if you want to use the Pure Connect app.
castalla

Post by castalla »

hawsey wrote:Nice one :-)

I haven't ordered yet , but looking at them and the reviews , they look perfect to team up with a Joggler for a nice little set up ...

They are good ... especially if you can get that 2 for 1 offer. I especially like the battery feature. The one issue is that there's no EQ feature (unlike Sonos).

I've been experimenting with a way to get very basic EQ - it works - but is horrendously difficult to set up in LMS and at the moment there are a few bugs which I can't eliminate without guru help!

I'm software overloaded at the moment, and making more mistakes than successes, so I'm leaving the EQ experiment for a few days.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Anyone fancy halfers on a pair of these ? £40 each , I don't need 2 and £80 is not my allocated budget for speakers this month ;-)
I would order and send on registered to first taker , PayPal to me for the £40 .
Any takers ...

Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Umbongo Umbongo ive bought myself a Jongo :-)
£33.96 for an S3
http://www.rakuten.co.uk/shop/velocityo ... _S3_Piano/

You need to log in and use the code MAYDAY for 15% off the price of £39.99 I think the code runs out today . it is a reconditioned one 8-)

https://youtu.be/wYj5o4kQsXs

Happy Joggling
castalla

Post by castalla »

hawsey wrote:Umbongo Umbongo ive bought myself a Jongo :-)
£33.96 for an S3
http://www.rakuten.co.uk/shop/velocityo ... _S3_Piano/

You need to log in and use the code MAYDAY for 15% off the price of £39.99 I think the code runs out today . it is a reconditioned one 8-)

https://youtu.be/wYj5o4kQsXs

When you get it up and running - use the Pure Connect app to check what firmware it has. The latest is 2.4.

The FAQS at Pure.co.uk are useful.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I used Top cash back for my speaker purchace and its tracked at £2.42 so the speaker is costing me £31.54 .
Thanks for the info , I can't wait for it to arrive :-)
I have no real need for it but I'm sure it will become indispensable , I blame peer pressure naming no one (Castalla)
I hope they don't breed like the jogglers or I fear for my wife's sanity .

Happy Joggling
crystalgipsy

Post by crystalgipsy »

I cant the app to run on any of my android devices without crashing. Managed to set it up on my wifi buy direct connecting my phone to it and using the inbuilt webpage. But I have no idea how I can pair the two speakers without the app? Any ideas. Also would like to get settings that people find works well with them. Finding controlling the volume from LMS very fiddly. Also the speakers seem bass heavy anyway to make them sound better? I am blind without their app.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Hopefully mine will come soon and I can have a mess on with it as well and help work things out :-)

Castalla is your man ...

Check the firmware is 2.4 .
Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

We are with Jongo :-)
What a lovely sounding little speaker this is , pretty impressed so far , I connected it using the Pure Connect app as the browsers on my phone wouldn't do the job , all worked fine and connected , it looked for networks and found both the LMS and PMS servers fine , I selected the LMS and played the Adelle album 19 , it sounded amazing for the size of the speaker .

The firmware ? Is this what you mean ? If so it is on an old one , I clicked on software updates and it said none available .

Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

crystalgipsy wrote:I cant the app to run on any of my android devices without crashing. Managed to set it up on my wifi buy direct connecting my phone to it and using the inbuilt webpage. But I have no idea how I can pair the two speakers without the app? Any ideas. Also would like to get settings that people find works well with them. Finding controlling the volume from LMS very fiddly. Also the speakers seem bass heavy anyway to make them sound better? I am blind without their app.
Mine seems to be working ok without crashing on Pure Connect app , what version of android are you on ? maybe try an older version of the app .
i had the opposite issue , i couldnt get the web server to show up on my phone !!
Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

@Castalla I'm as happy as a pig in poo ;-)
Sitting in my work van having lunch streaming a Ryan Adams album from my plex server you set up for me via Bluetooth to the Pure Jongo sat on my dashboard , loving it , I thank you for all your help .
Couldn't work out wireless connection via the app in the van so just using Bluetooth ...

Happy Joggling
crystalgipsy

Post by crystalgipsy »

hawsey wrote:
crystalgipsy wrote:I cant the app to run on any of my android devices without crashing. Managed to set it up on my wifi buy direct connecting my phone to it and using the inbuilt webpage. But I have no idea how I can pair the two speakers without the app? Any ideas. Also would like to get settings that people find works well with them. Finding controlling the volume from LMS very fiddly. Also the speakers seem bass heavy anyway to make them sound better? I am blind without their app.
Mine seems to be working ok without crashing on Pure Connect app , what version of android are you on ? maybe try an older version of the app .
i had the opposite issue , i couldnt get the web server to show up on my phone !!
On two different OS Lollipop on my Nexus 7 and latest Marshmallow on my s6. It works OK on my wifes iPhone though so I had to use that in the end. Bit annyoing that what is a great little speaker is ruined by it's a crappy peice of software.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
castalla

Post by castalla »

I only used the Pure app to set up the speaker on the network (eg. change name, etc).

The app is over-clunky. I've been trying to find a way to get an equaliser working in LMS - so far, no luck.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I had a look at upgrading the firmware last night but decided to leave the Jongo switched on as suggested to see if it would do the firmware upgrade automatically , I looked this AM and it had not , so I've left it plugged in and will attempt the manual upgrade using a USB tonight if it still hasn't auto upgraded.

Happy Joggling