EFI Boot

Non Joggler related discussion.
hawsey

EFI Boot

Post by hawsey »

Possibly @Mickchip might be able to help me out with this one .
I managed to get a nice little 10" Linx 1010L tablet in the Sainsburys fire sale and after a bit of a play with it i am now trying to get some OS es booting off a USB stick but not with much success so far .
I was thinking that some of our Joggler distros might work but i think i need a little help getting there .
A developer called John Wells has had some success with a efi file he made and it says this on his site , regarding a different model tablet

" When your USB stick is ready, close Rufus. It should now be browseable in Windows. Browse to the EFI\Boot directory, and place this bootloader (named bootia32.efi) there"

So i too BuZz's Xubuntu BTFS and tried the above and it does flash up with the first black loading screen with the Xubuntu choice at the top but then quickly just black screens on me .

I was hoping i could try this with the OSX , XP , Mint builds , etc .

What i want to know is where do you think i should be putting the above file and should i be removing some from the bootable USB stick .

The main issue with booting builds i am led to believe is that the tablet is a 64 bit with a 34 Bit Uefi

Do you think these 32 bit builds we use should work ?
Happy Joggling
mickchip

Re: EFI Boot

Post by mickchip »

I doubt you will get any Joggler specific builds to boot on it, try building a RemixOS usb stick 32bit version.
I have a Lenovo Flex 10 and it boots on that, just google remix os and download the 32bit version, there is an installer with it.
Edit
READ this
http://www.linxtablet.com/viewtopic.php?t=1719&p=10908
Attachments
Remix_OS_for_PC_32-bit_Beta_Version_Package.torrent
(44.2 KiB) Downloaded 621 times
Jogglermaniac
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thanks for the reply :-)
I tried Remix Os and it works if you use the android x86 installer from Xda dev site not the remix installer and it boots up in portrait mode so that looks promising , I can't work out how to get it to boot straight off the USB stick when you switch the tablet on so you have to have a keyboard attached to select from the bios settings .
I would love to get an Xununtu or similar booting from a stick as well .
Dual boot is not an option really as the 1010L only has 16gig , I've got a 64 gig micro SD in as well .
Fun and games .
Happy Joggling
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Jogglermaniac
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

That looks great , cheers , I'm out and about at the mo but can't wait to give this a try tonight .
Much appreciated
Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I managed to get the T100 Magic Stick image you linked to booting by writing the image using Rufus and then when it tries to boot unplug the USB then plug it back in and it boots up .
Wireless not working but my Rasp Pi Edimax one got that going , also it boots in to Portrait so the display option can tweak that , settings are lost on re boot .

ImageImage

Thanks Mickchip for the help :-)
Happy Joggling
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Hi All
I also have the linx 1010 tablet with keyboard so i will be trying this one out at some point
Thank you for the link's
Andrew
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Let us know how you get on Andrew , I haven't tried for a while , it was getting the settings to stick which flummoxed me , I think it's called "persistence" but I gave up , I'll give it another go though ....

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Happy Joggling
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Hi All
@hawsey had a play and got as far as you. I have tried portuse linux no luck there. Have not tried remix os as its android we dont mix together. Tried debian live to no luck there also.
I have just noticed you have the 16gig tablet. as mine is the 32gig one.
Andrew
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Have you tried as it boots unpluging the usb then plugging back in , that worked for me , did you find the boot efia files you have to put in the usb stick as well ?
Also , i think you need a keyboard plugged in .
Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

The problem with the 1010 is that it uses a 32 bit Uefi but the rest is 64 bit , if you get the right file in to your boot stick then at the bit where it says booting from USB you have to unplug then plug back in the stick , dont ask why 8-)

https://ianrenton.com/guides/howto-inst ... 0b-tablet/
Happy Joggling